Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You say "KAY-hill", I say "KA-hill" - All in a name.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You say "KAY-hill", I say "KA-hill" - All in a name.

The snooker prodigy, James Cahill, highlights how a humble surname can generate differences in pronounciation between the two islands, with the English version lengthening the first vowel, while similarly, Doherty and Gallagher have been erroneously equated with their Scottish variants. But of course, the most famous example is "Moran", where Irish people place the emphasis on the first syllable, and Britons the second - did the Liverpool player himself pronounce it as such, however?

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
    did the Liverpool player himself pronounce it as such, however?
    Ronnie Moran was Ronnie Moore-Ann.

Comment

I was pretty surprised to hear some old guy introduce Rory Gallagher on Irish Tour ‘74 as Rory Gal-a-GHURR, which is how my aunts (first generation, their dad was from Sligo) also say their surname. I’ve been led to believe it was Gall-a-her for most Irish people.

I’ll respond to my surname being pronounced in the American way or Irish way at this point.

Comment

In irish Gallagher is pronounced Geall-a-choir, which has a hard ch. It really depends on what part of the country. If you're from the northern half of the country the last syllable is hard. In the rest of the country it is soft.

Tim Cay-hill and Gary Cay-hill aren't pronouncing their name wrong. They're pronouncing it the way their ancestors did. It's because their ancestors are from Tipperary, and it's pronounced the same way as Cahir. (Similarly why it's Donald Ray-gan, rather than Donald Re-gan) Similarly in the rest of the country Leahy is pronounced Lee-hee, but in tipperary, where most leahy's are from, it's la-hee. (Which becomes Lay-hee in trailer park boys)

That More-an thing is weird though. That's just wrong. It's Mow-ran.

Comment

Working...
        X