No announcement yet.

The battle for Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undocumented mostly North African Labour powered the plastic covered irrigated desert fields of almeria twenty years back when I was living in espain, it's not a new phenomenon. Like the tomato fields of Southern Italy, I'm guessing v few Spanish citizens would work as peons in the conditions expected by the landowners.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 02-05-2019, 21:03.

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Almeria and Murcia (along with Cartagena), were the last cities to fall to the Falangists in the Civil War, and were subject to massive changes in population, including the importation of some of the hardest of the hard core. During the boom there were also a large number of new communities in the region built for affluent retirees, who are not known for their progressive politics.

Comment

Like Valencia trending right in modern times then, after being the final big city to hold out against Franco.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 02-05-2019, 22:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Appears so, but if Almería's an indicator, most of these areas were previously PP strongholds. Urgh - PP has ruled Murcia since 1995, going by Wikipedia.
            Murcia city also the place where fascists have physically attacked Pride and student demos in the last year or two

Comment

Quite.

I've never been inclined to find out Alejandro Valverde's political views.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                Like Valencia trending right in modern times then, after being the final big city to hold out against Franco.
                There's a left-wing administration in charge here now, thank christ.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1124204159358644224?s=21[/URL]

Comment

A breakdown of votes by gender - as tends to be the case all over Europe, it's principally men who vote for the far-right (and indeed further to the left), with women favouring more moderate parties:

http://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1124571024627064833/photo/2

Comment

Puigdemont cleared to run for the European Parliament.

Comment

I saw something about the PP planning to object now.

I'm in Catalonia at the moment, wandered past a local "Guanyem" thing...open-air meeting I guess. Preparation for the upcoming local elections. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                          A breakdown of votes by gender - as tends to be the case all over Europe, it's principally men who vote for the far-right (and indeed further to the left), with women favouring more moderate parties:

http://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1124571024627064833/photo/2
                          could this be because a major driver for the far right is the decline of male privilege, primarily to the benefit of women?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            I saw something about the PP planning to object now.

I'm in Catalonia at the moment, wandered past a local "Guanyem" thing...open-air meeting I guess. Preparation for the upcoming local elections. Interesting.
                            Guanyem is yet another political alliance on the left - appears that this is the umbrella title for city elections , whereas En Comu Podem is reserved for regional and national elections (even though Barcelona en Comu is the name of the governing party there).

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

could this be because a major driver for the far right is the decline of male privilege, primarily to the benefit of women?
                              This article is largely about US, rather than European politics, but it links the right with hypermasculinity, which makes sense in terms of promoting traditional values, promising strong leadership, and wishing to banish perceived societal threats such as immigration and Islam. On the other hand, the left have been to the fore in terms of female working rights, maternal leave, gender quotas in parliament and social reforms such as contraception, abortion and divorce (with the exception of Ireland, of course, though Labour were junior coalition partners for some of the above.)

Comment

You do know right that Labour insisted that all of those measures be put in the programme for government against the wishes of their more conservative partners, and forced through the citizens assembly, to give enda Kenny the cover he needed to avoid dealing directly with such issues. Maire Geoghan Quinn takes a lot of the credit for the decrimininalization of Homosexuality, though I would probably suspect it has more to do with the gay, and the bisexual labour ministers that were in that cabinet.

Comment

There was a Guardian long read about 10 days ago by Meaghan Beatley about the virulent anti feminism in Vox and the PP rightward lurch, linking it to the ‘Wolfpack’ rape trial.
                                  Really interesting and very good on the feminist mobilisations EXCEPT astonishingly, she didn’t mention the women’s general strikes, presumably because social media is more important.

Comment

This is a bizarre stat - 8% of Vox supporters would vote for Catalan independence, which would be the equivalent of Brexit Party voters opting for Remain:

http://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1126801167500156928

Comment

It's more like 8 percent of Northern Leave voters supporting London Secession.

Comment

Well, it's more like both, in different ways.

Comment

I don't see why Catalonian nationalists can't also be fascists. They don't have to be Francoists.

Comment

Vox are specifically and deliberately and loudly and importantly Spanish nationalist.

Comment

The Catalan independence movement does not have an extreme-right wing as far as I can tell.

Comment

Perhaps 8% of Vox voters believe that without Catalunya (which in my experience is a fairly small c conservative place) they'd have more of a chance of grabbing at least a share of power in what was left of Spain. (I mean I know that shows an element of pragmatism not usually associated with fascists, but who knows)

Comment

I read this as a Catalonia poll. Which would mean they are planning to support Catalonian independent, then move to Spain and vote Vox.

Comment

(small-c conservative how?)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X