• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Blair is a c**t part 45

https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1119646798165864449

Was just going to post the same. Although I would have said "racist cunt."

Comment

The only meaningful criteria for assessing whether immigrants are integrating are firstly - whether they are working, and secondly learning their host country's language - after that, everything else automatically follows in terms of playing an active role in their local communities, helping their kids achieve full potential and make friends at school, etc. This whole "citizenship programme" sounds worryingly like the daily American pledge of allegiance , crossed with Norman Tebbitt's infamous cricket test. Mind you, we do have a junior Minister for Integration, who has mainly instituted the new citizenship ceremonies. In any case, nothing will satisfy some types - a Lithuanian teenager who won an All-Ireland minor medal with Kerry received dog's abuse from Kildare fans while playing with his secondary school recently.
      Last edited by Diable Rouge; 20-04-2019, 19:19.

Comment

Ah! The old "In order to stop right wing racist cunts winning power we should just make ourselves indistinguishable from right wing racist cunts" trick.

Comment

One day he'll die. I hope it's before me so I can enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
            One day he'll die. I hope it's before me so I can enjoy it.
            I hope it's on the end of a rope.

Comment

Hey you guys, stop the knocking, he won an election for Labour! I mean it's not as if a Labour Party led by Mao's corpse would probably have won the 1997 election or anything.

Are people still periodically doing a 'citizen's arrest I'm taking you to the Hague' stunt on him? I rather liked that he couldn't go out without there being a small but actual chance of that happening.

Comment

Yep, it's bollocks that Blair single-handedly turned Labour's fortunes around. We were ahead in polls under John Smith and would have won with him as Leader, I have no doubt. I was always mystified by people referring to him as "goodlooking".

Comment

Ahead in polls under Smith by more than Blair's victory, by the way.

Anybody who has ever worked in an FE college can tell you ESOL classes are the most popular in FE. So migrants are learning English, or trying to (since cuts are the name in FE). So Blair's his usual delusional self.

Comment

There is something about the number 45

Comment

I didn't choose it at random.

Comment

It's telling that Blair does not cite any evidence that "refusal to integrate" is taking place. Bigotry is rising because people like Blair spend more time attacking cultural diversity than they do attacking fascism. Where does Blair stand on Trump? He never mentions him AFAIK, which in this climate amounts to giving him a free pass.

Comment

Integration is a bullshit dump term anyway. If you asked 100 people what integration meant, the only thing all/most could agree on would be being able to speak English. This is already happening, note ESOL course ancedote above, and lots of people believe anything less than fluency is inadequate, which isn't actually true in the real world. If you went beyond that, there'd be no consensus on anything and a disturbingly high number of responses would basically be code for "I don't like Muslims."

In my opinion, the worst integrated migrants in the UK are North American expats. I know a disturbing number of people in my softball league who basically have no friends outside of their work and softball team, and some have lived in the UK for years (as long as me) and still basically conceive of the UK as something like the set of Midsomer Murders writ large. It's bizarre.

Of course, no one talks about this because they're white and well-off.

Comment

Speak english, and follow an english football team. Like Osama bin laden.

There was a discussion about this on Facebook, and I found myself thinking, that there's a problem with this. As a former world hegemon, UK culture has become the basis for a lot of world culture, and consequently very little of it is unique to the UK. your language is the world language of commerce, your local sports are now the world's sports, anyway you get the idea, You can't send your kid down to the local GAA club to play hurling. Which instantly transforms them into Cú Chullain. by exporting so many elements of UK culture, there's not an awful lot that is left that is particularly unique. other than having very clean cars. Probably the most unique thing about the UK is its tendency to absorb elements of the culture of its migrant populations into English culture, whether it knows it's doing it or not.

So....er..... carry on?

Comment

By now I’m used to caricatures of the British by Berbaslug but rarely have I encountered quite such an inaccurate depiction of my fellow countrymen than the baseless assertion that our cars are clean. For all those of us whose rubber mats are covered with crisp packets and chewing gum wrappers, old coffee cups and unpaid parking fines, those of us with “ clean me” written in dust on the rear window I demand justice.

Comment

He won't apologise. He never apologises. He's probably just made himself a coffee, cracked his knuckles and is preparing to pound out a 500-word riposte.

If he doesn't mention Churchill, Cromwell or the Burning of Cork you can consider yourself a very lucky man.

Comment

I have never heard this "clean cars" thing before.

Comment

Nor I

Comment

Yep, clean cars. People in the UK clean their cars a lot. It's clearly not everyone, but it's way more people than you would expect. There's a whole world of weirdness out there, but every weekend, millions of british people clean their car. Some of them even wax them. There's no real sense of how big the car washing industry in london is, because a meaningfully large part of it is carried out by trafficked serfs.

This is not something that happens in ireland btw. It rains so frequently here that it would kind of be pointless. It's why you see so many silver or grey cars. It really hides the dirt.
                                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 22-04-2019, 01:27.

Comment

Lol. So do you just mean "compared to Ireland, anecdotally speaking, I get the impression that car-washing is a bigger thing in Britain. No idea about anywhere else."?

Comment

Comment

There's clean outside and thèn there's clean inside.

Comment

No I mean compared to pretty much everywhere. More than western europeans anyway, but the really striking thing is not how often it's done, but that so many people do it themselves.

Ursus, Those statistics would suggest that American car washes primarily wash money. Dividing the amount of water used per car per wash, and the amount used on each car each year, would suggest that the average american car is washed three times a day. The headline figure of 2.3 billion would suggest that the average american car is cleaned about twice a month. That seems like a lot, but Cars are an even bigger thing in America than they are in the UK.
                                              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 22-04-2019, 02:47.

Comment

Berba is on to something here. Americans use car washes. I’ve never seen anyone do the British suburban male thing of soap and sponges in their driveway here. Even less have I seen adverts for those home car-wax things. The stuff where a middle aged middle class suburban man sees himself defined by the cleanliness of his Mondeo (or modern equivalent) but is too cheap to outsource the actual labour doesn’t seem to exist on this side of the Atlantic.

I don’t think clean cars are a particularly British obsession. But being so cheap that you choose to waste your weekend cleaning your own car might be.

Comment

Europeans do car washes as well. They use a tiny fraction of the water of using a hose pipe, and that's nothing to be sneezed at in much of europe.
                                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 22-04-2019, 02:55.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X