European Elections 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European Elections 2019

Possibly deserves another thread so here goes.

Who do I vote for as I live in London? Ideally I'd vote Green but I don't want to waste a vote and want to stop the leavers from getting seats.

Advise me please.

It's de Hondt PR, isn't it?

Then vote Green.

Comment

London provided a Green MEP last time. I think it's safe to vote Green there again. Plus it's an unambiguous remain vote, which Labour isn't.

Comment

I have defaulted to Green over recent elections, but the TERFness of too many and the complete lack of any willingness to address it by others puts me off.

I'm not sure I'll vote.

Comment

And this fucking shitty tweet has pushed me a lot further down that road

https://twitter.com/TheGreenParty/status/1118564286589280263

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
            Possibly deserves another thread so here goes.

Who do I vote for as I live in London? Ideally I'd vote Green but I don't want to waste a vote and want to stop the leavers from getting seats.

Advise me please.
            Yes, in London - Green 1, Lib Dem 2 would seem to maximise the Remain return, 50/50 either way in the South East and South West, with Labour the best option in the other regions of England.
            Last edited by Diable Rouge; 17-04-2019, 18:43.

Comment

Clicking on the 2014 constituency results highlights which parties offer the best regional options for tactical voting.

Comment

Tactical voting in Ireland: rank the candidates (or parties) in order. Some of them are very likely to be elected, so your vote isn't wasted

And in England: vote for a party you don't like with candidates you've never heard of, whose chance of election will be determined by party not voters. Then sulk when said party continues to do things you greatly dislike. Many votes are for parties who don't get elected, and are thus wasted

Comment

Or briefly- without a full transferable system 'tactical voting' is largely a waste of time

Comment

Local cross breaks on a national poll can be pretty misleading, but the most recent poll for the Euro-Elections (the one that TonTon references above) the London cross break was:

Labour 25
                    Tories 17
                    Greens 16
                    Brexit 15
                    LD 13
                    UKIP 8
                    Tiggers 5.

With 8 MEPs for London that would mean
                    Labour 2
                    Tories 2
                    Greens 1 or 2
                    Brexit 1
                    LD 1
                    UKIP 0 or 1

Comment

http://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1118560481785065472

Comment

The twat.

Comment

The cheese is now in another room from the cracker.

It may even be across the road.

Comment

I think the Greens' one is worse, as it goes. But maybe that's just me.

Comment

I don't get the problem with it (and I agree with you about the Terfs).

Comment

The thing about that poll is that Farage's brand new party has massive support. The Green's tweet ignores that, and bigs themselves up instead. After Hitler - us. It's awful.

Galloway is Galloway. He's been quite clearly on the red-brown train for a while. So yeah he's scum, and I hope he dies soon. But he's long past being anything like disappointing.

Comment

Yeah, I'd have preferred something along the lines of "Brexit support is consolidating in one party, so Remain voters should vote for the largest Remain party...the Greens." But while it's dispiriting (if not surprising) that a Brexit party would get plenty of support in the Euro elections, a poll which indicates a doubling of Green support compared to GE polls is entitled to a little boosterism.

Comment

Haven't the Greens always done better in Euros than in GEs? Seem to remember one many years ago where they a big third. And that was before there was any of that PR business.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                      Haven't the Greens always done better in Euros than in GEs? Seem to remember one many years ago where they a big third. And that was before there was any of that PR business.
                                      Of course, one of their most prominent members then had somewhat of a career change soon afterwards ...

Comment

Haha, yes indeed. The scumbag.

Comment

I'm also confused by TonTon's objection to that tweet from the Green Party.

Comment

Before I explained it, or afterwards?

Comment

It was a cretinous tweet.

Comment

No, I'm definitely missing something here. What is the problem with it? It looks like an uncontroversial statement of the facts of that poll, which has them polling higher than all the other pro-Remain parties.

Comment

Ah, right. I've now spotted TonTon's answer to Etienne. I would blame the message board update, but it's more likely blindness on my part than Snake's work.

A political party growing it's support is going to be happy, and with a fractured field will try and draw as much support to it and away from others with similar positions on a particular issue. I'd rather the Greens became the locus for Remain support than any other option (well, I'd really rather the Labour Party were that, but being pro-Remain would be an important first step towards that).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X