The British-Irish Dialect Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The British-Irish Dialect Quiz

Where do the dialect terms you use in everyday speech come from? Let the, er, New York Times be your guide, here.
    What does the way you speak say about where you’re from? Answer 25 questions to see your own custom dialect map.

This came up in "Who likes looking at maps?"

Politics, science, philosophy, beer, religion, travelogues, food, love, sex, death and piss-taking.

Comment

It's been around a while hasn't it? Previously didn't work on my phone. This time it did. Annoying though, asking me what I call a sweetened carbonated beverages - my answer is "it depends what it is, I don't have a generic word for them all".

Had to skip a few. Anyway, it says I'm from south east England. Surprisingly.

Comment

That was quite good fun. The NY Times has correctly identified me as being from West Central Scotland.

Comment

It said that I was from somewhere between south tipperary and galway, which is fair enough. Though I think I did confuse it slightly with all the regional english words I would have also used.

Comment

North Wales/Cheshire/Merseyside - pretty much nailed-on. Although I reckon that if it had questions like "what word would you use to describe something as dirty/disgusting" or "how would you address a friend other than by name", it could almost narrow it down to the street you grew up on.

Comment

Cork, Kerry and Limerick.

Close enough.

Seeing as I chose langered for drunk, you'd expect it to end the quiz right there and then, and narrow it down to one county.

Comment

It's really struggled to place me somewhere specific. I presume this is what comes up of growing up in Cambridge to Sheffield parents

Comment

I'm a culchie from Omagh

The shame etc

Comment

Working...
                  X