Sudan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudan

Very positive news suggesting that Bashir has gone and is under house arrest. The Arab spring tells us that the overthrow of really awful dictators is never the end of the story, but things look good for now
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-experts-warn

Looking forward to hearing anything from VT on this subject

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1115984281673842688

Comment

So Al-Bashir has been arrested by the army, who have released political prisoners, and have imposed a state of emergency for 3 months (and are setting up a 2 year "transitional military govt") and have cancelled the constitution. The idea of the military taking over never fills me with the happiness that the removal of a scumbag like this should do.

Comment

Tremendously positive so far.

Fervent hope that this plays out better than several of its"Arab Spring" predecessors.

Comment

I'm with Ad Hoc on this. A military coup, the cancelling of a constitution and shutting the borders would fill me with dread normally. And given that the military seems to have been involved in a lot of the worst activities of the regime I'd be concerned that we're not going to get a shining beacon of freedom and democracy and the perpetrators of genocide aren't going to see justice.

On the other hand, it's probably the only way to have got rid of Bashir, and the reports I've read so far sound remarkably good.

Comment

I lived in Sudan for five years but that was 30 years ago so I have nothing of contemporary relevance to add. However, when I have time I'll post a few personal reactions. Just to say for now that one month after my arrival in the country sharia law was introduced and that was some "fun".

Comment

Still a long way to go

Sudan protesters reject army takeover after removal of president

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y_to_clipboard

Comment

Hmmm, she seems to get a good write-up in the Western media which naturally makes me very very suspicious.

I looks like apart from the removal of Bashir, it will be business as usual.
                I expect things to get way worse before they get better.

Comment

The sit-in continued despite the military's imposition of a 10-4 curfew, which is encouraging. Sudanese friends are very nervous at how this plays out, and some think that the Bashir arrest is part of a bigger plan to maintain the status quo while claiming change has happened. General Awad ibn Auf is seen very much as another Bashir - if he remains in control, there will be little difference. Let's see if the sheer weight of protesters makes a difference, but Sudan is a big country and it may be unsustainable. As with many popular uprisings, there isn't currently much leadership from existing opposition parties, so there isn't a clear political figure or party that is likely to step in to take power - and that is why the military has been able to monopolize the space so far.

Hope for the best.
                  Last edited by Vicarious Thrillseeker; 12-04-2019, 07:06.

Comment

From my agency Khartoum office:

An updated report from IOM Sudan team stated that the sit in continued on 11 April (Thursday) throughout the night breaking the curfew imposed by the Transitional Council, from 2200H – 0400H (local time). However, there were no incidents reported, and the situation remained calm with continued presence of military forces in the city. Unconfirmed reports said commander of Rapid Support Forces (RSF) did not accept to be a member of the council, calling on hand over of power to civilian government.
                    On 12 April (Friday), Sit in continued and still going on. Around 1700H (local time) unconfirmed reports indicated that armed clashes in north Omdorman erupted. A rumored attempt of “counter coup”, is ongoing. Verification in process. Meanwhile, regarding Khartoum international airport, around 1530H (local time), the airport started operations. Ethiopian, Egyptian and few other Airlines resumed flying in / out of Khartoum. Latest update as of 2140H (local time), the leader of military council Ibn Ouf stepped down and the former Army inspector general Abdulfatah Al Burhan assigned as a new leader for the military council. Many cars and people rallies reported in different places in Khartoum after the new announcement. All IOM Sudan staff members are safe and well

Comment

Omdurman is where my parents, sister and older brother lived in 65/66.

Comment

Things not looking so good now https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...plosions-heard

Comment

please act if you can

Comment

I've Tweeted at their embassy and posted the link.

Comment

Link sent from a Sudanese friend currently living in Khartoum
                              In Sudan the interests of powerful states are trumping values of multilateralism.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1647215553528963072?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

https://twitter.com/The_NewArab/status/1647512465029169152?t=8ma3LO9l2Jv4AOfAgOvgSw&s=19

Comment

I want to cry.

Comment

Having read up on the two sides in this current conflict, I can't imagine a better example of a 'least worse' option. It's like having to choose between the regular Russian army or the Wagner group to run your country.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                        Having read up on the two sides in this current conflict, I can't imagine a better example of a 'least worse' option. It's like having to choose between the regular Russian army or the Wagner group to run your country.
                                        You should read up on South Sudan too for more misery.

Comment

I learned a lot from this

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1648301570038087680?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

The Chartbook article is very interesting.

It makes sense that this is another resource driven conflict.

Tragic that so much of the wealth will be lost from the region.

Comment

From a friend:

Worst of all is the UK government's abdication of its responsibilities as not just the former colonial power but as a guarantor of Sudan's supposedly Comprehensive Peace Agreement. I fear that I've just about given up trying to get HMG and Parliament to pay attention, and the situation has been getting markedly worse with each recent new incumbent of Downing St. I'm afraid we're getting back into Chamberlain's mentality of not wanting to involve ourselves with the intricacies of "faraway countries of which people know nothing and care less"

Comment

Evidently, there are 16,000 US citizens in the country.

Comment

I see the first plane back from Sudan has arrived in the UK. I'm surprised that they didn't fly direct from Khartoum to Kigali...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X