Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many fingers do you use when typing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many fingers do you use when typing?

Me all ten, look at how clever I am.

But then look at how slow I am, and how many times I need to go back to correct typos.

And you?

Between eight and eleven.

Comment

2 both index fingers, except for my own name and password, then I can fly like a proper typist

Comment

8, and one thumb on the spacebar.

*An ex was a copper, and he could type faster with two fingers on a manual**, than me using all mine on an electric**. And I am pretty fast (with practice).

**Typewriters. Ask your parents/grandparents.
        Last edited by Gerontophile; 10-04-2019, 18:18.

Comment

One at best.

Comment

I reckon six (index, middle and ring finger on each hand.) I might occasionally use any of the other four if I'm stretching to reach a key but they're certainly not in the regular rotation.
            Last edited by Fussbudget; 10-04-2019, 18:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
              8, and one thumb on the spacebar.
              Same

Comment

By the way I don't know if my little fingers are freakishly short and weak but I'm well impressed that anyone actually manages to use theirs to type.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                  By the way I don't know if my little fingers are freakishly short and weak but I'm well impressed that anyone actually manages to use theirs to type.
                  When I first learned, they had specific exercises where you had to use your pinkies only, so they get used to it with practice.

Comment

I was thaught how to touchtype a long time ago....

Comment

I first tried to learn on a manual typewriter but christ was I cackhanded. Much easier on a PC (but with raised keyboard; on laptops much slower).

Comment

Two, but only alternately. Can't walk and chew gum either.

Comment

Can I use yer dictaphone?

No. 2 fingers like everyone else

Comment

Four. Index finger and middle finger on both hands.

Comment

All of them. (Mom taught me to 'touch type' when I was ten years old.) But now that I'm thinking about it, I honestly can't tell if I spacebar with both thumbs or just the right one.

Comment

I may use all ten - slowly and badly as I said - but my son (and no doubt yours) treats his mobile phone like a machine gun whereas I am pressing the keys as if the keyboard were in darkness.

Comment

I can touch-type too, so eight plus my right thumb.

About 70 wpm last time I checked.

Comment

I was about 70 at my fastest. Lucky to get 40 nowadays.

Comment

I think that I generally use 5, plus the thumb for the space bar. The ring finger on my right hand is mostly - but not completely - unused except for apostrophes. The little fingers seem as much use as a vestigial tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                        I reckon six (index, middle and ring finger on each hand.) I might occasionally use any of the other four if I'm stretching to reach a key but they're certainly not in the regular rotation.
                                        Same here, using the right thumb for the space bar. Have always been a fairly fast typist but do spend quite a bit of time going back to delete extra letters when I hit two keys at once..

Comment

Also, as a career-long Mac user, I end every sentence with Command + S to save my work. Macs don't freeze/crash any more, but old habits die very hard.

Comment

Keep your files in Office 365 and you don’t even have to do that.

Comment

Hmmm. Having recently had a ton of shared pages of a team notebook in OneNote completely wiped out by a bad sync, I'd back things up if it's anything actually important.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                Can I use yer dictaphone?

No. 2 fingers like everyone else
                                                Not The Nine O'Clock News had that joke and/or possibly "Is that the speaking cock?"

Comment

Is Mavis Beacon still a thing?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X