Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do We Have An All-Purpose Artificial Intelligence Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do We Have An All-Purpose Artificial Intelligence Thread?

EDIT: Removed
    Last edited by Johnny Velvet; 05-11-2021, 09:36.

Tbh I think humanity's only hope is to build machines that can fix our problems and also treat us mercifully.

Comment

I wouldn't hold out much hope. We tend to introduce our own biases into the AI we create.

Comment

They might want amusing pets.

Comment

Machine learning, deep learning and AI have become the go-to bullshit terms for a lot of scientists who are simply running correlation analysis.

Wake me up when a computer passes the mirror test.

Comment

As far as I know, those are algorithms that are fed a database of variables based on observations of past events, and based on probability calculatuons some kind of prediction can be made. A complex weather forecast model would be typical example.

All of these models are ultimately built on the logic written by the programmers, and the database of past observations that is fed into them. So they are not acting autonomously.

Of course, one can argue on a philosophical level what the hell intelligence and autonomy is. I mean, when I look at somebody's facial expressions I consult my own database of facial expressions built up over decades, and make a probability weighted estimate as to how that person is feeling, based on a logic script that was programmed into me by my family/society when I was growing up.

Comment

Lev Manovich's latest book on AI is available on Kindle for £1.99. Recommend.
              https://www.amazon.com/AI-Aesthetics.../dp/B07M8ZJMYG

Comment

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1117775101225832448

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  They might want amusing pets.
                  Sony's new robot dog is out.

Comment

AI clearly has some way to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X