Lighthouses - best in their own area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely, blameless.

On our honeymoon in Nova Scotia my wife and I took a route that roughly approximated with what, I think, was called the lighthouse trail, at least for part of the time. Beautiful scenery:

As a child I spent quite a few summer holidays on Anglesey and so got to visit South Stack:

Comment

The Jollyrock lighthouse ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighth...eeping_Loonies

Comment

If you have access to Rte they are currently showing a series called great Irish lighthouses that has some great footage.

Comment

More quality lighthousing here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-48339120

Comment

Been meaning to post this for a short while. Byron Bay Lighthouse.

Comment

Talacre lighthouse, not far from our home in north Wales - and my daughter doing a very poor cartwheel attempt. It was up for sale a short while back - we considered putting a bid in...

Comment

Westerheversand lighthouse on the North Sea.

Comment

That BBC article is wonderful, but there's a picture under the paragraph about Sark lighthouse that shows how the future is shaping up for lighthouses.

Mrs Greenlander and myself camped out at Hallsands last week where throughout the night we could pick up the occasional flash from the lightouse at Start Point but no familiar sweep of the beam across the bay. So next day we walked the couple of miles along the coast path up to the lighthouse where they had an open day (being a working lighthouse apparently these are restricted throughout the year). On reaching the top, no giant lens and huge 1000W bulbs (£70 a pop fact fans), just a couple of little LED lights that can shine the light signal in required arc without shining across the land. It's not the same, all that space and these two lamps the size of a football.

While the location, design and romance of lighthouses will never diminsh, this change just removes a touch of the magic.

Comment

Family pride dictates I should post this...

(ect. ect. ect. [sic])

https://www.dphotographer.co.uk/user...77_edited2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                      Westerheversand lighthouse on the North Sea.

I've been there. I absolutely adore that part of the world.

Comment

Howth Head is a very pretty location for a lighthouse. The cliff walk is easily one of the best things about Dublin.

Comment

About an hour ago...

Comment

A bit bleaker than the lovely photos above but i once flew my drone around the new and old lighthouses in Akranes, Iceland.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                              I've been there. I absolutely adore that part of the world.
                              Hold on. Holy shit! There's something you actually adore?! Not just don't hate? Wowsers.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                Family pride dictates I should post this...

(ect. ect. ect. [sic])

https://www.dphotographer.co.uk/user...77_edited2.jpg
                                That went wrong, didn't it?

Might get back to you on this one.

Comment

QUOTE=blameless;n2133930]When mrs b and I were in St.Augustine visiting friends recently, we braved the climb to the top of the local lighthouse. And given how flat Florida is, you can see a loooong way from the top of this thing on a clear day:

[/QUOTE]

That is even more pronounced as they don't let building over two storeys in St. Augustine (or certainly didn't when we were there). I assume that you were able to get a good view of St Augustine's other prominent erection being the giant cross?

[

Porthcawl's lighthouse isn't necessarily pretty but is pretty iconic as, whenever there are high tides and high winds, it being battered by waves is almost always on the national news.

Indeed, we are so proud of it that it even appeared on the t-shirts and medals for the 10k I ran there yesterday.

They don't do that for the concrete beach.

Comment

Looks like a crab attacking a salt shaker.

Comment

That is even more pronounced as they don't let building over two storeys in St. Augustine (or certainly didn't when we were there). I assume that you were able to get a good view of St Augustine's other prominent erection being the giant cross?

Yep, saw it - and didn't bother to take a single photo.

In all seriousness, given the number of striking buildings St.A has - the lighthouse, the San Marcos Fort, Flagler College, Villa Zorayda, Bridge of Lions, most of St.George Street - a giant steel cross is unimaginative and unmemorable in the extreme.

Comment

Comment

The lovely Bodie Island lighthouse.

(Upon reflection, that picture is deceiving. It was so hot and humid that you could have swam to the top for a better view. And we did indeed climb that other lighthouse, above, which was marvelous. A lot of work, but worth it.)
                                          Last edited by WOM; 14-07-2019, 00:52.

Comment

Wasn't the one I was looking for, it'll do to be getting on with

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmelse...in/photostream

Comment

Nor was this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmelse...57625261186551

Comment

Today's Google doodle.
                                                Celebrating the first lighting of Eddystone Lighthouse on this day in 1698.
                                                For all its importance and historical significance all I've got is an earworm of Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes).

Comment

I slept in the house behind. Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel

Comment

I remember when recovering from surgery many years ago, a friend lent me the book Seven Wonders of the Industrial World]. An excellent read: from memory included the London sewers, the Brooklyn Bridge and Hoover Dam. But the chapter on the Bell Rock Lighthouse was an epic of determination, sacrifice, ingenuity and hard work.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X