Lighthouses - best in their own area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighthouses - best in their own area

The Phare d'Eckmuhl (missing umlaut I think) near Le Guilvinec in Brittany is pretty awesome.

Comment

Lighthouse tip from an expert

https://twitter.com/Jenn1fer_A/statu...460308480?s=20

Comment

I'd love to be in a lighthouse* with waves crashing over it:

* A sturdy one. Very sturdy. You can't believe how sturdy I want it to be.

Comment

Comment

Flamborough Head in Yorkshire famously has two.

The 19th century one is pleasant enough in a lighthousey sort of way:

But its 17th century predecessor is a properly striking building, an octagonal tower built of rough chalk blocks:

Last edited by blameless; 02-04-2019, 22:21.

Comment

Point Loma at the entrance to San Diego harbour also has two. There's the "Old" one on top of the bluffs that's now just a museum in the National Monument. This was built in 1855 and was at the time, the highest lighthouse in the nation standing on top of a load of cliffs. This is not actually as impressive as it sounds: It did mean it could be seen from 30 miles away on a clear day. But, this being the US west coast, it was often shrouded in fog and therefore frequently utterly useless.

So they built the shiny "New" one in 1890 on a bit of flat land at the bottom of the cliffs on Point Loma, meaning it's only 27 meters rather than 120 above sea level. I think it's a little harder for ships to see from the extreme NNW, but at least ships can see it now.

Comment

The closest lighthouse to us (a few miles upriver) is Jeffrey's Hook Light, which is infinitely better known as the Little Red Lighthouse

Comment

As you can see, it sits under the New York anchorage of the George Washington Bridge, and ceases to be of use to navigators before the Bridge was built.

It remains an attraction, and the inspiration for a children's book

Comment

Point Loma is really lovely. SB's photos don't oversell it.

As I presume SB knows, Point Loma was the location of the largest and most significant Theosophist community in the United States, which was largely funded by Albert Spalding, the Hall of Fame pitcher for the team that would eventually be called the Chicago Cubs and the world's first great sporting goods tycoon.

Comment

https://www.webbaviation.co.uk/galle...b31e0c294a3bfe

Withernsea lighthouse is inland and reminds me of childhood holidays and has a museum inside with an exhibition re Hollywood star Kay Kendall.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withernsea_Lighthouse
                      Last edited by sw2borshch; 03-04-2019, 09:12. Reason: Photo bombed

Comment

I was totally unaware of the Point Loma theosophist community. I had no idea what Theosophism is until about 5 minutes ago, and having looked it up on Wikipedia I'm now only marginally wiser. Indeed, I'd only ever heard of "Lomaland" referring to a Modern Times farmhouse-style beer, and sometimes the Modern Times brewery.

Comment

They were a hoot

You should read about Helena Blavatsky

All of her works are available here

There's also a relatively recent scholarly book on the Point Loma community.

Last edited by ursus arctos; 03-04-2019, 14:28.

Comment

The first time I went to the Point Fermin lighthouse in San Pedro, CA, I saw an old house but was wondering where the lighthouse was.

Comment

This is the Currituck Beach Lighthouse in the Outer Banks. It's one of 5 on OBX, and the only one we've been up. After this one, Mrs WOM refused to go up any others, and I didn't push the issue. She's convinced that the safety railing only came up to your knees and that we all almost died...somehow. Anyway, yeah, the stairs are a bit unsettling, but it's worth the climb.
                              As seen, it's brick. The others are painted various bold black and white patterns so sailors would know which one they were passing.

Comment

Thomas Point Shoal Light (not far from Annapolis) is the last of the Chesapeake Bay "screw-pile" lighthouses still in its original location, and a beauty

Comment

Lighthouse afficionados visiting NYC should consider the National Lighthouse Museum, which is adjacent to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal in Staten Island. It is small now, but has plans for a significant expansion as the area around that terminal is being developed.

Comment

My favourite lighthouse, which I see at least once a year, in my favourite place in the whole wide world, is on Amrum. It's not spectacular, but it's on Amrum.

Last edited by treibeis; 03-04-2019, 19:25.

Comment

I used to work just along the river from London's only lighthouse:

Comment

There are some great lighthouses converted to hostels along the Pacific coast between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Comment

Including Pigeon Point and Point Montara

Comment

Until this thread was started I didn't realise just how much I loved lighthouses.

Comment

Will be visiting this in about three weeks. Ballina, NSW.

Comment

I got engaged with a similar view of this one, down at the beach to this side. It was also the furthest East I could get in New York, so theoretically a little closer to home. Which on consideration the nearest point to the UK would be somewhere up near Canada, but F that.

Comment

When mrs b and I were in St.Augustine visiting friends recently, we braved the climb to the top of the local lighthouse. And given how flat Florida is, you can see a loooong way from the top of this thing on a clear day:

edit: another view

Comment

Working...
                                                  X