Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Bercow

Let's be honest

The man rocks the best ties in the World.

That is all.

That’s Jon Snow. (Not that one.)

Comment

He's become something of a cult figure in Germany—I'm forever getting asked about him. That and why there aren't enough seats for everyone in Parliament.

Comment

Trust the Germans to fetishise someone who is constantly shouting ORDER!

Comment

Heh!

Stumpy's question about the lack of seats for all of the MPs is one that I've wondered about. Apparently the chamber was made deliberately small to promote impassioned dialogue, its "confrontational design helps to keep debates lively and robust but also intimate" as one source had it. Fabio Capello would approve.

Never mind seats in the chamber, I remember when there weren't enough offices for all the MPs. The construction of Portcullis House solved the problem but before it was built you'd walk past MPs sitting behind desks in corridors or on stairwells.

Comment

They had the chance to change the layout at the end of the Second World War but kept it the same, with Churchill's approval. Presumably they are keeping it the same throughout the multi billion pound refit they are still debating.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
              Never mind seats in the chamber, I remember when there weren't enough offices for all the MPs. The construction of Portcullis House solved the problem but before it was built you'd walk past MPs sitting behind desks in corridors or on stairwells.
              I've mentioned this before, but I was once in an office so rammed that four of us sat in a focus group room, while two women sat in the observation area behind the one-way glass.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

I've mentioned this before, but I was once in an office so rammed that four of us sat in a focus group room, while two women sat in the observation area behind the one-way glass.
                never knew you were an MP WOM. Which party?

Comment

I'm a rebel, so Party of One.

Comment

I didn't know NS worked at the HoC. I also have, to a very limited degree, on occasions when I was working with MPs between 2009-2011.

Comment

Didn't work there MsD, but used to visit occasionally and know the odd individual.

Comment

Say no more ;-)

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X