Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

ursus arctos wrote:
    His family has been doorstepped for years, and he is very, very widely recognised (which is part of the reason why he keeps changing his hairstyle).
    You'd think you'd grow it into one style you dislike while under media scrutiny, saving the variation for a later point when you need them. Far better strategy.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

You have a career in "crisis management" if the banking thing doesn't work out.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

Fits with my favorite bankers accounting method - the dva gain. "we book a profit of x this quarter because less people think we will pay up on our debt". Ridiculous.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

dglhand of god wrote:
          You'd think you'd grow it into one style you dislike while under media scrutiny, saving the variation for a later point when you need them. Far better strategy.
          Haha. That's what I always think when people go to pick up their lottery winnings and have their picture taken. I'd grow my hair and beard for three months so I looked like Grizzly Adams, and then fuck off to the nearest barber for a good shearing so nobody's recognize me.

I don't buy lottery tickets, mind, so this is all mental busywork.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

ursus arctos wrote:
            WOM, I can't judge easier or harder. His life will be very different than it was...
            I guess what I was thinking was that AK will probably be greeted as a returning hero of sorts. An innocent girl vindicated, if you will. I was wondering whether the Italians would do likewise and circle the wagons around him or would he be shunned as an unpunished murderer. I guess it depends on your take on the whole thing, though, and opinion appears far more divided there.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

Italian magazine includes a knife set giveaway with their issue with Amanda Knox on the cover.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

The pizza cutter is a nice touch.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

She just got a USD 4 million advance from Harper Collins (Uncle Rupert's publishing house) for a memoir.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

She will reveal never before-told details surrounding her case, and describe how she used her inner strength and strong family ties to cope with the most challenging time of her young life
                    said a Harper Collins spokesperson.

Meanwhile, in Perugia, the prosecution is appealing against her release.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

ursus arctos wrote:
                      She just got a USD 4 million advance from Harper Collins (Uncle Rupert's publishing house) for a memoir.
                      To be called "If I Did It...."

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

There's no chance at all of Knox ever going to Italy, is there?

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

I see they don't have that double jeopardy thing in Pizzaville.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

jasoñ voorhees wrote: I see they don't have that double jeopardy thing in Pizzaville.
                            Pizzaville?

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

In answer to Hof's Q, I'd think not. I wouldn't go if I were her. Who gives a shit if it 'makes you look guilty'. The whole thing was a farce and she'd be a fool to subject herself to it again.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

It's not about double jeopardy as such (new evidence of "guilt" etc), it's because this court has concluded that the original trial wasn't carried out in accordance with the law.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

They botched everything so badly the first go-round, I don't know how they plan to sort it out this time. The physical evidence is a mess, and you can't un-mess it.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

Double Jeopardy also applies in the case of mistrials. The tricky part to me (as someone who is as legally qualified as a a ball of wool) is how this form of second trial would be considered by the fifth amendment.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

WOM wrote: They botched everything so badly the first go-round, I don't know how they plan to sort it out this time. The physical evidence is a mess, and you can't un-mess it.
                                      Did "they botch it", or did the defence team
                                      try to suggest that the evidence was "botched", after there had been a concerted effort to erase all the evidence before the police arrived on the scene? I tend to the latter interpretation.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

"The 72 signatories and 166 parties to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights recognise this rule, under Article 14 (7): No one shall be liable to be tried or punished again for an offence for which he has already been finally convicted or acquitted in accordance with the law and penal procedure of each country."

Italy is one of the signatories.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

Nefertiti2 wrote:
                                          Originally posted by WOM
                                          They botched everything so badly the first go-round, I don't know how they plan to sort it out this time. The physical evidence is a mess, and you can't un-mess it.
                                          try to suggest that the evidence was "botched", after there had been a concerted effort to erase all the evidence before the police arrived on the scene? I tend to the latter interpretation.
                                          From what I read, the crime scene was handled in an extremely ham-handed way and the evidence couldn't be considered untainted.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

WOM wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Nefertiti2
                                            Originally posted by WOM
                                            From what I read, the crime scene was handled in an extremely ham-handed way and the evidence couldn't be considered untainted.
                                            Yes, that was the narrative the defence team wanted you to read.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

WOM, they were never "finally convicted or acquitted in accordance with the law and penal procedure" of Italy.

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

So a blanket double jeopardy treaty is virtually pointless then, if it can only be applied in accordance with each country's laws, no?

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

Nefertiti2 wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by WOM
                                                  Originally posted by Nefertiti2
                                                  Originally posted by WOM
                                                  Yes, that was the narrative the defence team wanted you to read.
                                                  But that could also be the truth, couldn't it?

Comment

Nothing on Amanda Knox?

I think the prevalent narrative in North America, where Amanda Knox comes from, was probably different from the one in England, where Meredith Kercher came from.

Casting doubt on the reliability of forensic procedures is a technique used by many defence lawyers, as Johnnie Cochran will tell you.

All sorts of things can be the truth. One can only deal with probabilities.

I originally thought Amanda Knox was a victim of an aberrant legal system. Then i talked to someone who knew more about the case than I did.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X