Sam Smith Interview on being non-Binary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Smith Interview on being non-Binary

This is a really beautiful interview about, for example, the relationship between fat-shaming and transphobia and how he built his understanding of his "non-binariness" from body experiences:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvBXv4FF5sq/?hl=en

It's weird. When I took exception to an OTFer (whose name I can't recall) calling me a "fatty" when I pointed out that fat shaming was a thing, the silence was deafening.

Since then I've been (probably rightly) taken to task on some of my own prejudices / careless language / simple unthinking stupidity, yet the entire fatphobia thing endures.

EDIT: Along with, lest it need to be said, transphobia, et al.
    Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 20-03-2019, 23:15.

Comment

It does.

Comment

Boys at school (at all ages) thought it was perfectly OK to grab by breast flesh (as happened to Sam). It's only very recently that I've realized this was sexual assault and that it is a big part of the depressions that I have experienced as an adult.

Comment

A lot of the discourse around acceptance of gays/lesbians and now trans people has been presenting it as a biological issue--"Born this way," that your body is telling you something that cannot be denied despite what society may want to classify you as, etc. To put in less polite terms--"they didn't choose this, so we need to accept them."

None of which I'm arguing against. But the reception to overweight people is always a judgement of morality in a sense, criticizing people for a lack of control. It seems a more acceptable way of judging something, because it's their own damn fault for getting so fat in the first place.

Satchmo--any idea if the interview is available someplace else? The narrow screen and the cutting back and forth is giving me a headache.

Comment

I've never been much of a fan of biology arguments. But while things are actually much, much more complicated than this, being fat isn't always our "own damn fault" anyway.

Anyway, fair play to Sam Smith.

Anti-trans activists are disgusting.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think this is the only source.

Comment

My first awareness of this interview was people being vile and dismissive on social media "you're a bloke, get over it" "attention-seeking' being the nicer remarks. Agree with what you all say.

Comment

There are sugar products advertised on children's TV and virtually all kids' cereals are just sugar, yet our culture fat-shames the kids whose bodies simply can't handle that diet without ballooning. It amazes me more in retrospect how many of my classmates stayed thin in the 70s, but I think that was a time when in Summer we'd stay out playing til 10pm so several hours of vigorous exercise a day were still possible. We've not adapted our kids' diets to the sedentary lifestyles of computer games and paedo-fear.

Comment

Working...
                  X