Happy Harry Secombe Day, everybody!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Harry Secombe Day, everybody!

At least of those of us in the Northern Hemisphere that is.

Harry Seacombe day? Can you explain?

Comment

"If I ruled the World, every day would be the first day of spring"

Comment

To Harry Secombe: "I hope you die first as I don't want you singing at my funeral." — Spike Milligan

Comment

First day of spring (although I thought meteorologists had that as 1st March, not the equinox).

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
            To Harry Secombe: "I hope you die first as I don't want you singing at my funeral." — Spike Milligan
            And they still played a recording at Spike's

Comment

Did they! Haha! Excellent.

Comment

When the two of them first met on the entertainment tours at the end of the war, Milligan's description of Secombe's blend of comedy and singing was, "His wasn't an act, it was an interruption."

Comment

What was that Les Dawson gag, something like "The night variety died the police took my act in for questioning."

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                    When the two of them first met on the entertainment tours at the end of the war, Milligan's description of Secombe's blend of comedy and singing was, "His wasn't an act, it was an interruption."
                    Wasn't there the first time they met when a piece of artillery fell down a hill?

have you just seen a 20pdr roll past?

What colour was it?

Comment

Fuckin Highway destroyed my Sunday early evenings through the 80s. Fuck the singing Valleys Holy Joe Cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        Did they! Haha! Excellent.
                        They did. Spike - despite his myriad problems, contradictions, and outright nastiness, on occasion - remains one of my heroes. I read his war memoirs on the recommendation of one of my childhood neighbours, the headmaster of a school a few miles away, and they genuinely changed my life. He seemed to see something in me that, admittedly, my own dad saw and which I kicked against, that he recognised. The same man who wanted me, as a voracious reader and owner of his own mind, to help him write a series of quiz books for children that he started and never got to finish because of his untimely death. I'd refused to help because I was as stubborn and - on occasion - as nasty as Spike. I wish I'd taken his offer.

Weird how life works out.

Comment

That's a bit of a hijack, isn't it? Anyway, happy spring, Neddie Seagoon.

Comment

No, that's very interesting, Toby, and obviously one of those points in one's life when a random event changes its course. You should start a thread.

Harry, incidentally, isn't forgotten in my neck of the woods, where he spent some of his latter years:

Comment

Working...
                            X