Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Websites you hate

We've probably done this before, but I'm not sure how to search for it

Anyway, my most hated website is The Independent. A massive video takes up half the page (most of the time if you actually click on it after a longish ad, the video is a set of still pictures with the text of the article in it). Seriously I'd actually rather click a link to the Mail or something.

I'm sure it's the same for every other local newspaper site - but the Gloucestershire Live one is practically unusable. I have an adblocker for it and it blocks upwards of 90 ads per page.

Comment

Seconded on The Independent.

IMDB is absolutely rubbish too.

Comment

Any government portal, Australian or British.

Comment

Any website that automatically plays videos.

Comment

Pretty much any local newspaper in the UK. One of the reasons they never captured any money in advertising was that they acted like the first wave of Football League official club websites and continued to do so, adding autoplaying video adverts, presumabyt sold to people who either never bothered to check the length of page visit stats, or else must have fiddled them to fuck.

Comment

Agreed. Unbearable. My screen goes into spasms if I ever accidentally land on one. Football fans' fora run them a close second for the same reason

Comment

Uniqlo's is a bit shit actually, surprisingly considering how sleek an operation they are....

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                  Pretty much any local newspaper in the UK. One of the reasons they never captured any money in advertising was that they acted like the first wave of Football League official club websites and continued to do so, adding autoplaying video adverts, presumabyt sold to people who either never bothered to check the length of page visit stats, or else must have fiddled them to fuck.
                  Our local one had an interview with Gary Johnson ahead of Yeovil's FA Cup game against Liverpool in (I think) 2004 on every article whilst he was manager of Cheltenham Town.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                    Any website that automatically plays videos.
                    This. There is a special place in hell for whoever invented video autoplay.

Comment

Any site that tries to guilt trip you into turning off your adblocker, even though most of them are far too bloated to use otherwise.
                      Any site that only allows you to register via Facebook.
                      Facebook.

Comment

CNN for me. Every interesting headline leads to only a video story. Every article has some autoplay bollocks. It's full of adverts the same size as articles masquerading as articles.

Comment

For financial reasons I'm down to just my phone for going online at the moment.

I've come across several sites where the the cookies request page is so big that you can't scroll to click agree or off.

One of these was the NS International site. After 20 mins of settings changes and trying to find another way in I thought fuck them and drove to Brussels in my broken camper with only 2nd and 4th gear.

I've just checked again, a month later. It's still the same.

Comment

Any non-league webpage, via pitchero. I have broken the world record for the amount of times I have accepted cookies there - it's at least ten times a day over several months.

Comment

Aren't pretty much all local newspaper sites basically unuseable? Most of them are unreadable too once you finally get to what you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                For financial reasons I'm down to just my phone for going online at the moment.

I've come across several sites where the the cookies request page is so big that you can't scroll to click agree or off.

One of these was the NS International site. After 20 mins of settings changes and trying to find another way in I thought fuck them and drove to Brussels in my broken camper with only 2nd and 4th gear.

I've just checked again, a month later. It's still the same.
                                There's also a bunch of sites that have GDPR cookie settings that have so many pages to click through that it's impossible to navigate unless people are willing to spend 10 minutes configuring stuff before they even begin to get to the content. All deliberate of course. I make a point of ending my visit to such sites without further ado.

Comment

KGR & SDR - if you use Firefox or Chrome, install the I Don't Care About Cookies extension. Absolute lifesaver for dealing with all that shite.

Comment

Time Out’s is an utter disaster

Comment

Thanks for the tip, 3CR, I'll check it out.

For ad based action, the Opera browser has built-in ad-blocking as standard.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        We've probably done this before, but I'm not sure how to search for it

Anyway, my most hated website is The Independent. A massive video takes up half the page (most of the time if you actually click on it after a longish ad, the video is a set of still pictures with the text of the article in it). Seriously I'd actually rather click a link to the Mail or something.
                                        This. As much as I'd like to read some of the articles the video is a horrendous idea, thankfully it's not on auto play with sound but it's bad enough.

Comment

Working...
                                        X