No announcement yet.

Christchurch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I profoundly disagree with how she has handled this, he should be named, his political views should be made public and the dominant society need to tackle not only the terrorists in their midst, but also the kind of ideology behind it.
    By ignoring these people and pretending it is just an isolated individual, only guarantees this will happen again.

Comment

But she's not pretending he's an isolated individual. That's what Trump wants to do By not naming him she makes it more obvious that he's part of a vile ideology and NOT a lone crazy. We don't remember the names of ISIS connected terrorists, they don't become a thing But Breivik, McVeigh etc are names. I think she's right

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        But she's not pretending he's an isolated individual. That's what Trump wants to do By not naming him she makes it more obvious that he's part of a vile ideology and NOT a lone crazy. We don't remember the names of ISIS connected terrorists, they don't become a thing But Breivik, McVeigh etc are names. I think she's right
        I see where you are coming from but I respectfully disagree. I would say that the various Islamic terrorist names and their ideology is much better known globally that their White Supremacist counterparts. Osama Bin Laden, Mullah Omar, Moktada al Sadr et al and their Ideology is better known than the ideology of the guy you named.

By not mentioning his name and going over (and debunking) his ideology in foresnsic detail, there is no way you can steer people away from this ideology or even attempt to tackle it. In the UK schools (or at theast the ones i went to) we were taught about the Nazi ideology, Its negative effects and how it was fed from latent racism towards 'others' (Jews and other ethnic minorities) and the eugenics movement. This is why people come down hard on antisemitism as unchecked, it can quickly escalate to events seen in New Zealand.

To me, I just see an outpouring of anger and outrage, a few impressive sounding speeches but nothing tangible that will go after the people or ideology.

Comment

Go after his ideology by all means but don't give him the hero/martyr status he wants. His guns were covered in names of people from history that he saw himself in some kind of line with. People who fought Muslims (in some way). I think the good that could come out of this (scant consolation that it will be) is a realisation that islamophobia is very much a real thing, a horrific ideology every bit as awful as anti semitism (and in today's world even more rife and dangerous - and mainstream) and a clear sense that this is a movement, that it is a terrorism, that this is a deep organised and connected movement that needs to be attacked.

Comment

Go after his ideology by all means but don't give him the hero/martyr status he wants. His guns were covered in names of people from history that he saw himself in some kind of line with. People who fought Muslims (in some way). I think the good that could come out of this (scant consolation that it will be) is a realisation that islamophobia is very much a real thing, a horrific ideology every bit as awful as anti semitism (and in today's world even more rife and dangerous - and mainstream) and a clear sense that this is a movement, that it is a terrorism, that this is a deep organised and connected movement that needs to be attacked.
            Ad Hoc, your response is making my point. This is not just about Islamophobia, it is about protecting the system of White Supremacy from all perceived invaders. This can be against:

Jewish people
            Islam
            Non-White people (especially Black people)
            White Liberal sellouts (as they will see them)

He went for the mosque because being in NZ, his options killing large numbers of 'others' in a short period of time is severely limited. If you had read up on their ideology (or read my posts) you would know that their prefered targets are people in their place of worship as:

Their targets would not be on their guard as they would be focused on prayer
            There would be nobody with weapons to fight back (nobody non-white goes to church/temple/mosque packing heat)
            the number of adult men will be limited (places of worship have a high level of very young, very old and women)

He's not stupid to go to a Maori pub and open fire, He would be quickly apprehended by a Jake Muss lookalike and torn to shreds.
            The ideology should be exposed and debunked. All these killers should be publicly linked and their ideology exposed. It should be pointed out how this is another manifestation of bigotry that pervades globally.

This can all easily be done without giving him hero status. If it is possible to do it for Naziism, Stalinism, Colonialism without making making Hitler or Stalin heroes, it should be possible here.
            Last edited by Tactical Genius; 19-03-2019, 16:13.

Comment

It's a damning indictment of the entire human species that it's necessary to look beyond the fact that killing 50 people is not OK in any circumstance. If Jacinda Ardern wants to strip that prick of any legitimacy, I don't have too much of an issue with that.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                It's a damning indictment of the entire human species that it's necessary to look beyond the fact that killing 50 people is not OK in any circumstance. If Jacinda Ardern wants to strip that prick of any legitimacy, I don't have too much of an issue with that.
                Yes, but naming him is not stripping him of legitimacy. Everyone knows who he is and is a murderer. What is not known is his links to White supremacy groups, the same white supremacy groups that have infiltrated all sections of society. Not naming him keeps his associations and associates a secret and allows them to continue to operate in secret.

I have seen nothing in the media of his WS hand signal in court and linking it with all the other WS who throw that hand signal in public and shaming them for their shared ideology.
                Am I the only one who understands this, I consider this all common sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Ad Hoc, your response is making my point. This is not just about Islamophobia, it is about protecting the system of White Supremacy from all perceived invaders. This can be against:

Jewish people
                  Islam
                  Non-White people (especially Black people)
                  White Liberal sellouts (as they will see them)

He went for the mosque because being in NZ, his options killing large numbers of 'others' in a short period of time is severely limited. If you had read up on their ideology (or read my posts) you would know that their prefered targets are people in their place of worship as:

Their targets would not be on their guard as they would be focused on prayer
                  There would be nobody with weapons to fight back (nobody non-white goes to church/temple/mosque packing heat)
                  the number of adult men will be limited (places of worship have a high level of very young, very old and women)

He's not stupid to go to a Maori pub and open fire, He would be quickly apprehended by a Jake Muss lookalike and torn to shreds.
                  The ideology should be exposed and debunked. All these killers should be publicly linked and their ideology exposed. It should be pointed out how this is another manifestation of bigotry that pervades globally.

This can all easily be done without giving him hero status. If it is possible to do it for Naziism, Stalinism, Colonialism without making making Hitler or Stalin heroes, it should be possible here.
                  Point taken re:white supremacy. Islamophobia is the one I have to deal with and challenge and argue about on a day to day basis so I probably over focus on that in particular (though of all the various forms of racism / white supremacism you mention it's the most "acceptable" in mainstream discourse, not just here but everywhere and for that reason it's the one that troubles me - from my privileged position admittedly - the most)

I still don't see how this makes the case for shouting his name from the rooftops though.

Comment

I think his connection to White supremacist groups and ideology has been mentioned a lot. As well as the great replacement shit, and yes that hand signal

Comment

I think his connection to White supremacist groups and ideology has been mentioned a lot. As well as the great replacement shit, and yes that hand signal
                      Yes, It has been mentioned in passing but I have not seen it being explored in depth. To be fair, I have spend the last two weeks in the Dominican Republic so I could have missed some. I would very much appreciate and links to articles on print or news reports.

Comment

Point taken re:white supremacy. Islamophobia is the one I have to deal with and challenge and argue about on a day to day basis so I probably over focus on that in particular (though of all the various forms of racism / white supremacism you mention it's the most "acceptable" in mainstream discourse, not just here but everywhere and for that reason it's the one that troubles me - from my privileged position admittedly - the most)
                        Not sure about that, you don't see videos of Muslims being harassed, having police called on them and killed in the west to the level of Black people.

I still don't see how this makes the case for shouting his name from the rooftops though.
                        This is what I said.

I will clarify, It's the ideology and all that are linked to it that should be shouted from the rooftops. the focus should be on linking this guy and his ideology to the likes of the alt-right, murderous police officers, Media personalities etc. By not doing this allows them to continue to work in the shadows.

Comment

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1108156721128718336

Comment

I think it's good alot of people seen it. For every knuckle dragging goon who applauded it, there are 1000 who were horrified at the magnitude of the event, hopefully a small minority of them will be driven to get up and make a change.
                            Last edited by Tactical Genius; 20-03-2019, 01:08.

Comment

TG, I think you're way off here. With good motivation, sure, but well wide of the mark.

Nothing good comes out of that video. A whole heap of good is coming from people's responses here in NZ (and I would hope, elsewhere too). All the people visiting mosques, hugging strangers, advocating law changes or even in some cases apologising for previous comments - none of them need to have seen the terrorist's shit, and I expect the vast majority have not.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                TG, I think you're way off here. With good motivation, sure, but well wide of the mark.

Nothing good comes out of that video. A whole heap of good is coming from people's responses here in NZ (and I would hope, elsewhere too). All the people visiting mosques, hugging strangers, advocating law changes or even in some cases apologising for previous comments - none of them need to have seen the terrorist's shit, and I expect the vast majority have not.
                                Following your reasoning Tee Rex, there is no point people vising Auchwitz and Belsen, seeing the piles of human bones and Skulls and videos of half dead men women and children to bring the full horror of the holocaust to people.

There is a reason why we constantly see video re-runs of the planes flying into the twin towers. What you say sounds good, but all I see is a temporary hiatus from the anti-Muslim bashing (which will no doubt resume in due course).

Is the New Zealand law enforcement authorities kicking off the door of the many white supremecists that reside in your country. I am sure there are many as many White South Africans emigrated there after Apartheid?
                                When you say Law changes, which ones specifically, are there any that will take White terrorism as seriously as say Islamic terrorism?
                                I don't see any lasting societal changes in the US after Dylan Roof or Norway after Brevik and I don't want the same to happen here.

Comment

To use another analogy, it was the video of the naked child running down the road with her skin on fire that led the US public to question the use of Napalm and the Vietnam war in general ditto the disfigured face of Emmit Til that kicked off the Civil Rights movement and turned many Urban Whites away from silently condoning lynching in small town USA.

I could be wrong however, but time will tell and I give it 3 months before things return to normal.

Comment

I think there's a pretty clear distinction between coverage OF atrocities and BY the perpetrators. One is journalism (and later history), the other is sick propaganda.

You ask about NZ law enforcement: well, people have already been charged, including for the very thing you seem to be advocating ... distributing the terrorist video. Which is illegal here, under existing law.

Comment

On a very basic human level, someone unwittingly stumbling on the video in the immediate aftermath could be seriously and lastingly traumatised, with no straightforward access to any form of therapy/counseling. I am personally very susceptible and narrowly avoided accidentally seeing an IS be heading when they were publicising them heavily.

None of that should have been circulated either.

Mrs. S works for a wonderful crisis support helpline who always experience a spike in calls after occurrences like this. Those who have seen footage and can't "unsee" are prevalent.

Comment

I profoundly disagree with how she has handled this, he should be named, his political views should be made public and the dominant society need to tackle not only the terrorists in their midst, but also the kind of ideology behind it.
                                        By ignoring these people and pretending it is just an isolated individual, only guarantees this will happen again.
                                        He has been named, of course. You are complaining about the PM's personal decision to use his name. It's a bit silly to suggest that equates to ignoring the neo-Nazis and far right potential imitators. We can deal with them and their ideology those things without giving him the seedy prestige of using his name. Sad little sacks fantasise about their name being uttered in hushed tones. This has become the thinking after the Parkland school shooting.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...me-dave-cullen

Also, I don't think anyone serious here is saying it is just an isolated individual or that far right nationalism isn't a problem. Except perhaps the fuckwits on the whaleoil blog and their ilk, but they aren't serious, just creepy little freaks. There may, or may not, be genuine political will to address the problem; but Ardern's choice not to use his name isn't symptomatic of that.
                                        Last edited by Lurgee; 20-03-2019, 03:40.

Comment

To use another analogy, it was the video of the naked child running down the road with her skin on fire that led the US public to question the use of Napalm and the Vietnam war in general ditto the disfigured face of Emmit Til that kicked off the Civil Rights movement and turned many Urban Whites away from silently condoning lynching in small town USA.

I could be wrong however, but time will tell and I give it 3 months before things return to normal.
                                          I tend to agree with the latter sentiment but I don't follow your logic about the other stuff. Of course these bastards should be investigated. But I don't see why that means Jacinda Ardern has to say his name. Doesn't follow.

Comment

Of course when the BBC reported Jacinda Ardern's stance they immediately named him. I can see both sides to this argument but come down on the side of mentioning his crimes and not his name, take away something from him that he almost certainly wants.

Comment

Erdoğan has decided to use the attacks in NZ as part of his populist rhetoric in the upcoming election by apparently showing excerpts from the live stream in his election rallies and referencing Gallipoli. The NZ terrorist had visited Turkey twice and nobody is sure why as yet.

Comment

Not sure about that, you don't see videos of Muslims being harassed, having police called on them and killed in the west to the level of Black people.
                                                You have been watching a subset of videos then. Those things are all over. Indeed we are talking right at this minute about a video showing a man murder 50 Muslims. My point about mainstream discourse is about the way that it is entirely acceptable to splash anti Muslim hate speech over the front of any number of newspapers. Obviously this happens with racism towards black people too, but they have to be more subtle, more covert. But anyway, your point remains that there is no substantive difference between these multiple forms of racism and white supremacism, and I think you're right.

This is what I said.

I will clarify, It's the ideology and all that are linked to it that should be shouted from the rooftops. the focus should be on linking this guy and his ideology to the likes of the alt-right, murderous police officers, Media personalities etc. By not doing this allows them to continue to work in the shadows.
                                                I agree with you that we should highlight the ideology and show how it is all connected. We're just going to have to disagree with the idea that we publicise this guy's name. I cannot see for a moment how it helps anyone, aside from him.

Comment

With her unfailing instinct for the job, Suzanne Moore unwittingly announces we have reached Peak Ardern:

Now, in the most horrific of circumstances, we have seen the steel. We have seen the qualities that define leadership in such a way that it is clear she is a lioness and that to call so many of our current leaders donkeys is a disservice to hardworking donkeys the world over.

<snip>

Māori doing their immensely powerful hakas, Ardern’s face full of sorrow but also fearlessness, ordinary citizens with aftershocks of expression of love and bravery – this will stay with me. Martin Luther King said genuine leaders did not search for consensus but moulded it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-and-integrity

Boak.

She's not the mother of the nation, holding us together through her iron force of will. She's a moderately likeable politicians who has managed to give a few good speeches in response to a crisis.

Comment

Of course no politician should be elevated to sainthood, that only leads to disillusion when s/he shows fallibility later.

But you're wrong about "a few good speeches". Reagan or Clinton or Obama could deliver those, as long as Peggy Noonan or whoever is on staff. The test is when you see Ardern - or any leader - speaking without the script. In numerous media conferences she has taken heaps of questions, not been "managed", and has answered with the clarity of conviction. So often you can see a politician's poll-driven wheels spinning behind the eyes, and you know they're trying to remember the lines. She doesn't need to remember because she is clear in her own mind. Hence the effortless put-downs of Trump, Zuckerberg, etc.

The other point I'd make is that she has been compared to Trump on gun control, but if anything the gap is even wider. She said immediately "the gun laws will change", when the constitutionally correct response would have been "I lead one party, we have a coalition, no promises because no majority, I'll see what we can do". Instead she simply got out in front, used her political capital, effectively daring other parties in Parliament to challenge her on this. (Whereas Trump had a majority in House and Senate for two years).

Her political instincts are not cuddly-saintly-nice, they're damn sharp.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X