No announcement yet.

Christchurch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Sky News NZ (independently owned) has taken Sky News Australia (not independently owned) off its airwaves for its incendiary choice of coverage.

Comment

Further to tee rex's post: Jacinta Ardern is an example to world leaders just about everywhere.

Comment

Jacint Adern has been outstanding. Tell your friends and neighbours that the world finds her an inspiration. There are many things to be proud of in New Zealand's response. She is at the top.

(just saw this)

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1106679412894908417

Comment

I've just heard the head of the New Zealand gun owners association interviewed.

She said that it was inevitable that gun laws should change and was broadly supportive

Meanwhile the BBC.

https://twitter.com/TomKibasi/status/1106706614059446272

Comment

Freedland is right here. We need to start going after those who fuel this stuff. Orbán is a prime example

To prevent another Christchurch we must confront the right’s hate preachers

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y_to_clipboard

Comment

The BBC has become one of them. A white supremacist murders 50 people and in response white supremacists get invited on Newsnight

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                The BBC has become one of them. A white supremacist murders 50 people and in response white supremacists get invited on Newsnight
                Exactly. It's like inviting an Islamic fundamentalist on to explore their views the evening of 9/11

Comment

At this point I think they just smugly think criticism means they are doing their job. When both left and right despise their coverage for perceived bias, they think they are a Both Sides Goldilocks.

Comment

Just want to say how incredibly impressive Jacinda Ardern continues to be.

Comment

I think NZ's political class has handled this far better than the UK's would (or the US under Trump, obviously).

I had one family member (whom I won't identify) give a thumbs up when he heard the news. I felt very sick, obviously, but not wholly surprised as Muslims are seen as subhuman anti-persons by some of my relatives.

This is one reason i have avoided the thread - utter disgust at my own relations - but this is also a reason I moved to the US: my blood family's Islamophobia. Moreover, it's like a walking stereotype of the town in which I was born, which is Victorian on race issues.

I am deeply mentally scarred whenever these events occur but even more determined to make a small mark with my anti-racist teaching.

Comment

I can only add that I lived among, taught, was friends with and so on with Muslims for five years and though pretty strongly anti-any sort of religion myself these people, 99.9% of them, were the most generous, kindest and thoughtful I have ever met. And I've met more than a few.

Comment

Just want to say how incredibly impressive Jacinda Ardern continues to be.
                          She is an example of great leadership. NZ is lucky to have her.

Comment

Sorry to hear that SD. NZ elected her Moonlight so I think we can also say they seem to have made an excellent choice.

Comment

Sorry to hear that SD. NZ elected her Moonlight so I think we can also say they seem to have made an excellent choice.
                              A minor note - we didn't really. Labour finished behind National (Tories) but National didn't have enough coalition partners to get over the line. Labour was able to put together some sort of alliane with NZ First (small n nationalists) and the long suffering Greens (NZ First refused to go into a formal coalition involving the Greens, so they are officially in a confidence and supply agreement, with ministerial posts - just 'friends with benefits').

Comment

I'd say her approval ratings will be stratospheric in the next opinion poll.

Comment

Thanks for the correction lurgee, and apologies Moonlight Shadow.

this is powerful

[URL]https://twitter.com/golrizghahraman/status/1107005479371206658?s=21[/URL]

Comment

and so is this

https://twitter.com/Mogaza/status/1107394413305696264

Comment

Contrast with Theresa May visiting Grenfell, failing to meet any of the residents until she was forced to by the press criticism.

Comment

At least now, I hope that people can start to acknowledge that Islamophobia is a thing. And it is virulent and very much out there, and fed by mass media and politicians across the the west.

And I completely understand where this article is coming from

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_tw

Comment

It has been extraordinary to watch various high profile commentators (especially from The Times) pile on Owen Jones Ash Sarkar and others for suggesting that Islamophobia is prevalent in the media - or that what is written or broadcast has any effect on the audience.

Comment

My mate Stu's take (he lives in Gisborne, far north of the South Island)

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                              Contrast with Theresa May visiting Grenfell, failing to meet any of the residents until she was forced to by the press criticism.
                                              I was trying to think of a comparable example and this is it. The way NZ appears to be dealing with this and how the victims of Grenfell were dealt and are still being dealt with.

Was it in Rotherham over the weekend that a taxi driver was abused by two passengers who've now since been charged?

Comment

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1107840530283663362

Comment

Wasn't this the reaction of Norway too?

Comment

It has been extraordinary to watch various high profile commentators (especially from The Times) pile on Owen Jones Ash Sarkar and others for suggesting that Islamophobia is prevalent in the media - or that what is written or broadcast has any effect on the audience.
                                                    Yeah what a bunch of fucking cry-baby snowflakes they are. Not just yer Rod Liddles either, but the pathetic likes of Grown-up Sensibles such as Aaranovitch. Cos they're the real victims here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X