Christchurch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruno
    My point wasn't about the existence or not of a gun lobby in New Zealand, it was that terrorist-style mass shootings are a form of gun violence unlikely to be stopped by tougher gun laws, yet they generate the most calls for gun control (e.g. Parkland or Las Vegas). Reducing the media sensationalism would be a better strategy.
    I'm not sure the first part of this is true. They appear to happen much less frequently in countries where there isn't largely unfettered access to military style weapons.

Comment

There also is no compelling reason not to pursue both strategies simultaneously.

Comment

That's a very US-centric attitude, about the ineffectiveness of gun control campaigns, and about the supposed wide access to battlefield weapons after a successful gun control campaign.

Comment

I met his wife once. She's equally as impressive

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
            That's a very US-centric attitude, about the ineffectiveness of gun control campaigns, and about the supposed wide access to battlefield weapons after a successful gun control campaign.
            Yes this. Gun control legislation (even when it's reactive) has been very successful everywhere that it's come in. I would be very surprised if NZ doesn't now enact some real laws

Comment

Aramoana should have been their Port Arthur. We can only hope that this will be.

Comment

Exceptionally real Twitter thread on the fear, every day (sorry, I still can't work out links on this board) - https://twitter.com/GoodwinVianna/st...12865408385024

Comment

That works fine.

Comment

https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/1106592736948305920

Comment

That simply isn't true in the bald way you've stated it.

Many gun control campaigns here have failed. None have eliminated mass shootings and it may well be true that it is impossible to eliminate them in the US given the Supreme Court's current interpretation of the Second Amendment as granting individual rights (which virtually no one thought was the case for almost 200 years).

At the same time, some campaigns in some states and municipalities have succeeded and reduced the availability of guns to people intent on mayhem. That has saved lives.

Comment

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1106615867704598530
                        Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-03-2019, 19:15.

Comment

That's like saying that aircraft regulation has failed because crashes still happen.

Comment

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-03-2019, 19:01.

Comment

Another examples of the way the media has mainstreamed anti Islamic "white rage"- in this case the BBC's Newsnight programme normalising far right Tommy Robinson, using Robinson's own image suggesting he is "silenced"

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1106567220421935105

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-03-2019, 18:59.

Comment

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-03-2019, 19:16.

Comment

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-03-2019, 19:27.

Comment

I'm asking you to reread your posts and delete anything that is not directly relevant to the topic. . That's what I have done.

Comment

I'm just back from the Finsbury Park rally. Very moving, all sections of the community well-represented. Jeremy Corbyn spoke, plus a local rabbi, and various Muslim community leaders. There are marches everywhere tomorrow, apparently.

Comment

People probably need to start talking frankly about the Australian government's policies towards refugees. They've normalised racism, dehumanisation and 'othering' of refugees for years. Recently they were sounding off about how they wouldn't let New Zealand take any of the detainees in their refugee 'internment centers' (essentially concentration camps) because they would use entry to NZ as a back door to Australia. They've made the sort of rhetoric that should be exiled to the extremes acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
                                          People probably need to start talking frankly about the Australian government's policies towards refugees. They've normalised racism, dehumanisation and 'othering' of refugees for years. Recently they were sounding off about how they wouldn't let New Zealand take any of the detainees in their refugee 'internment centers' (essentially concentration camps) because they would use entry to NZ as a back door to Australia. They've made the sort of rhetoric that should be exiled to the extremes acceptable.
                                          Indeed - taking advantage of Nauru squandering its phosphate funds, by effectively converting it into a new Van Diemen's Land.

Comment

Between their immigration/asylum policies and reading Jared Diamond I look forward to most all Australia's farmland turning back to dust bowl. Sheep but a bleached bone memory.

Comment

Time for the Mirror to get the Sun treatment:

http://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1106691386710069249

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                God this is horrendous. Though it is staggering that some people are using this as an opportunity to double down on this sort of bullshit. Gemma O'Doherty who has been mentioned here a couple of times has completely gone off the fucking deep end talking about false flag operations. If this was 15 years ago she'd probably be sectioned at this point, but we don't do that any more, because we used to do altogether too much of it.
                                                I'm still unsure if Gemma O'D is unwell, Full Fash or a combo of both. Thanks be to fuck she didn't receive the required nominations to run fer Irish Prez. It's really depressing that there is now an Irish Nativist Katie Hopkins, and her tweets today have been astonishing in their vileness.

This is actually more fucked up than the Gardaí killing Veronica Guerin and her family being involved in the cover up "theory". I kind of hope she is unwell cos if she's just doing this for clicks and cash without believing it she is truly evil.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-03-2019, 23:42.

Comment

Rush Limbaugh is also kite flying the false flag narrative.

[URL]http://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1106607798345961474[/URL]

Comment

Rather than impotent rage (which is 90% of what I feel), I might just mention some of the positive points, the flickering hope:

- The "no second shooter" turns out to be true, as is usually the case. In the hours of chaos there were many fears about a cell, with exaggerated numbers. Zero evidence of that so far.
                                                    - The terrorist was caught 36 minutes after the first call to police. Too late for 49 victims, and "could have been worse" is no comfort at all, but it is true, it could have been. He hadn't finished.
                                                    - Christchurch, often caricatured as the capital of White Island, has been bloody fantastic in its response. And FWIW he wasn't from there.
                                                    - The PM has been excellent, both empathetic and substantive in her comments. Beyond "thoughts and prayers" to serious talk of changes to gun laws. Decades late, shamefully behind Australia. But (early I know) there seems to be a consensus on reform, including police.
                                                    - The bastard is alive. This matters too, as we all know news moves on fast. His trial will mean it won't, yet.

There's plenty more to be angry about (the useless intelligence services, for example) but enough for now.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X