No announcement yet.

Christchurch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another examples of the way the media has mainstreamed anti Islamic "white rage"- in this case the BBC's Newsnight programme normalising far right Tommy Robinson, using Robinson's own image suggesting he is "silenced"

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1106567220421935105

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-03-2019, 18:59.

Comment

Why am I being painted as Islamophobic here? Are you ill?

Comment

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-03-2019, 19:16.

Comment

I didn't post off-topic, I responded directly to people taking issue with my original and subsequent comments. Which is how things have always worked on this forum. Posting off topic is bringing up Jordan Peterson for some reason and smearing me as an Islamophobe by assocation. Go busybody someone else.

Comment

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-03-2019, 19:27.

Comment

Do as you like. I don't think I've said anything inappropriate here, and I don't appreciate the (inappropriate) insinuation that I'm being insensitive to victims.

Comment

I'm asking you to reread your posts and delete anything that is not directly relevant to the topic. . That's what I have done.

Comment

I'm just back from the Finsbury Park rally. Very moving, all sections of the community well-represented. Jeremy Corbyn spoke, plus a local rabbi, and various Muslim community leaders. There are marches everywhere tomorrow, apparently.

Comment

People probably need to start talking frankly about the Australian government's policies towards refugees. They've normalised racism, dehumanisation and 'othering' of refugees for years. Recently they were sounding off about how they wouldn't let New Zealand take any of the detainees in their refugee 'internment centers' (essentially concentration camps) because they would use entry to NZ as a back door to Australia. They've made the sort of rhetoric that should be exiled to the extremes acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
                      People probably need to start talking frankly about the Australian government's policies towards refugees. They've normalised racism, dehumanisation and 'othering' of refugees for years. Recently they were sounding off about how they wouldn't let New Zealand take any of the detainees in their refugee 'internment centers' (essentially concentration camps) because they would use entry to NZ as a back door to Australia. They've made the sort of rhetoric that should be exiled to the extremes acceptable.
                      Indeed - taking advantage of Nauru squandering its phosphate funds, by effectively converting it into a new Van Diemen's Land.

Comment

Between their immigration/asylum policies and reading Jared Diamond I look forward to most all Australia's farmland turning back to dust bowl. Sheep but a bleached bone memory.

Comment

Time for the Mirror to get the Sun treatment:

http://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1106691386710069249

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                            God this is horrendous. Though it is staggering that some people are using this as an opportunity to double down on this sort of bullshit. Gemma O'Doherty who has been mentioned here a couple of times has completely gone off the fucking deep end talking about false flag operations. If this was 15 years ago she'd probably be sectioned at this point, but we don't do that any more, because we used to do altogether too much of it.
                            I'm still unsure if Gemma O'D is unwell, Full Fash or a combo of both. Thanks be to fuck she didn't receive the required nominations to run fer Irish Prez. It's really depressing that there is now an Irish Nativist Katie Hopkins, and her tweets today have been astonishing in their vileness.

This is actually more fucked up than the Gardaí killing Veronica Guerin and her family being involved in the cover up "theory". I kind of hope she is unwell cos if she's just doing this for clicks and cash without believing it she is truly evil.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-03-2019, 23:42.

Comment

Rush Limbaugh is also kite flying the false flag narrative.

[URL]http://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1106607798345961474[/URL]

Comment

Rather than impotent rage (which is 90% of what I feel), I might just mention some of the positive points, the flickering hope:

- The "no second shooter" turns out to be true, as is usually the case. In the hours of chaos there were many fears about a cell, with exaggerated numbers. Zero evidence of that so far.
                                - The terrorist was caught 36 minutes after the first call to police. Too late for 49 victims, and "could have been worse" is no comfort at all, but it is true, it could have been. He hadn't finished.
                                - Christchurch, often caricatured as the capital of White Island, has been bloody fantastic in its response. And FWIW he wasn't from there.
                                - The PM has been excellent, both empathetic and substantive in her comments. Beyond "thoughts and prayers" to serious talk of changes to gun laws. Decades late, shamefully behind Australia. But (early I know) there seems to be a consensus on reform, including police.
                                - The bastard is alive. This matters too, as we all know news moves on fast. His trial will mean it won't, yet.

There's plenty more to be angry about (the useless intelligence services, for example) but enough for now.

Comment

And Sky News NZ (independently owned) has taken Sky News Australia (not independently owned) off its airwaves for its incendiary choice of coverage.

Comment

Further to tee rex's post: Jacinta Ardern is an example to world leaders just about everywhere.

Comment

Jacint Adern has been outstanding. Tell your friends and neighbours that the world finds her an inspiration. There are many things to be proud of in New Zealand's response. She is at the top.

(just saw this)

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1106679412894908417

Comment

I've just heard the head of the New Zealand gun owners association interviewed.

She said that it was inevitable that gun laws should change and was broadly supportive

Meanwhile the BBC.

https://twitter.com/TomKibasi/status/1106706614059446272

Comment

Freedland is right here. We need to start going after those who fuel this stuff. Orbán is a prime example

To prevent another Christchurch we must confront the right’s hate preachers

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y_to_clipboard

Comment

The BBC has become one of them. A white supremacist murders 50 people and in response white supremacists get invited on Newsnight

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                              The BBC has become one of them. A white supremacist murders 50 people and in response white supremacists get invited on Newsnight
                                              Exactly. It's like inviting an Islamic fundamentalist on to explore their views the evening of 9/11

Comment

At this point I think they just smugly think criticism means they are doing their job. When both left and right despise their coverage for perceived bias, they think they are a Both Sides Goldilocks.

Comment

Just want to say how incredibly impressive Jacinda Ardern continues to be.

Comment

I think NZ's political class has handled this far better than the UK's would (or the US under Trump, obviously).

I had one family member (whom I won't identify) give a thumbs up when he heard the news. I felt very sick, obviously, but not wholly surprised as Muslims are seen as subhuman anti-persons by some of my relatives.

This is one reason i have avoided the thread - utter disgust at my own relations - but this is also a reason I moved to the US: my blood family's Islamophobia. Moreover, it's like a walking stereotype of the town in which I was born, which is Victorian on race issues.

I am deeply mentally scarred whenever these events occur but even more determined to make a small mark with my anti-racist teaching.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X