No announcement yet.

David Steel admission regarding Cyril Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one of those led the party, EEG? which one of those was in Coalition with perhaps the most destrructive Conservative government since the 1920's?

Comment

I get absolutely no warm glow out of being a Labour Party member these days, I assure you. And never thought there weren't loads of Labour crooks.

Comment

Stonehouse is fascinating btw, did a lot of reading about it last year. It seems pretty obvious he needed psychiatric care more than prison. Very different times.

Comment

Nef: None of them, but if you're into mud-slinging from the past, which party when in government pursued a blatantly illegal and disastrously lethal war, backed by vote of its MPs, while another party voted against the war? I'll frankly take all the Lib Dem and LIberal history in preference to that, but, even better, when choosing a party to support, I'll look at current policies rather than historical errors. It's so fucking lazy saying "ooh you were in Coalition, so we needn't even consider what your policies are now". I joined the Lib Dems in the autumn of 2016 for what they stand for now. I couldn't give a flying toss about the old days.

Comment

Jesus.

Comment

The fire burned me last time I touched it, but that was SECONDS ago. It's a different era.

Sorry EEG, I don't mean to have a go. I think you probably identify more closely with your party and your leader than I do with mine. I'll happily take the piss out of the lot of them, it's what they sign up for.
              Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 15-03-2019, 17:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                I couldn't give a flying toss about the old days.
                Unfortunate, that, given the thread title. It implies that you don't give a flying toss about what Cyril Smith did to children.

Comment

Right. That's a perfectly reasonable interpretation of my comment. Jesus fucking Christ.

Comment

Lucy, very drole with the fire seconds ago comment, but the Lib Dem policy of today would certainly not be to go into a coalition with the Tories on austerity based policies. Just as the Labour policy of today, I assume, would not be to launch an illegal war causing hundreds of thousands of deaths from its predictable consequences. So I think it's fine for anti-war people to support Labour now, just as it is fine for austerity haters such as myself to support the Lib Dems, which i do because I want to be in a party which is straightforwardly opposed to Brexit.

Comment

Right. That's a perfectly reasonable interpretation of my comment. Jesus fucking Christ.
                      Sorry, I wasn't Interpreting the immediate comment. But "not giving a flying toss about the old days", on a thread about Cyril Smith, is an unfortunate choice of words.

Comment

ha ha - glad you guys can wallow in the warm glow that comes from supporting a party whose MPs have been nothing other than a parade of modestly non-entitled law-abiding virtue from the days of Robert Maxwell up to current day Fiona Onasanya.
                        I don't support the Labour Party; I'm a fucking green.

Comment

To return the thread to some semblance of what it originally referred to I can confirm that Steel is a pompous cunt, I was once in the same room as him and if he's in a room you're gonnae know about it. I've voted Labour and SNP if there's anything about the SNP you need to have a go at.

Shameful stuff about Smith, remember the bastard being something of a celebrity as well because of his 'jovial overweight' personality that he played up to. Got to play up to because Steel turned a blind eye. Cunts, the pair of them. As was Blair, as was etc.
                          Last edited by RobM; 20-03-2019, 12:45.

Comment

Didn't Steel come out of the Thorpe drama as turning a blind eye to Thorpe's behaviour?

Comment

With Clement Freud in the Parliamentary Liberal Party at the time too, Steel probably didn't know where to start!

Comment

but the Lib Dem policy of today would certainly not be to go into a coalition with the Tories on austerity based policies.
                                I'd give the vernal cunts 10 seconds before they caved in for a sniff at the seat of power again.
                                The only reason they're not greasing the Tory pole now is that the Tories don't want them. The DUP are less likely to wring their hands in mock horror before letting the Tories do whatever they want, after all.

Comment

They're also much better at getting the Tories to dance to their tune, too. Because the DUP understand, in the way the Lib Dems didn't, that they have natural instinctive allies in the Tory party.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

the vernal cunts
                                    That's a bit of a boost on the optimism front. It had been feeling a bit more autumnal tbh, but I think you're right - the doubling of our membership means summer will be back before long.

Comment

Where's your vote going re. the new leader, EEG?

Comment

That's a bit of a boost on the optimism front. It had been feeling a bit more autumnal tbh, but I think you're right - the doubling of our membership means summer will be back before long.
                                        Ah, the wonder of unchecked autocomplete.

Comment

Looks like the hazy days of winter to me, but hang on to your hopes, my friend.

Comment

Are you going to Scarborough Fair (Green Party Conference). Best fish and chips in Yorkshire and possibly England

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              Where's your vote going re. the new leader, EEG?
                                              Don't know yet. I'll wait to see their pitches first.

Comment

Fair enough. Any idea of the runners and riders yet? What ideological wings does the present-day party have?
                                                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 20-03-2019, 07:05.

Comment

Jo Swinson, Ed Davey and Layla Moran have been mentioned. Gina Miller ruled herself out

Comment

Yes, I saw that Dunc, but wondered if that was uninformed media speculation rather than any great insight into what genuine thought in the Liberal Democrats was.

To be rather trite, the recent experiments with the experienced but old, and look even older, Campbell and Cable tends to suggest that a young, fresh leader might be an idea. Moran's visible, articulate, telegenic and wasn't an MP during the coalition, which are all in her favour, but I've no idea where she sits in terms of policy and ideology and how reflective she is of the party members' sentiment at present.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X