David Steel admission regarding Cyril Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Steel admission regarding Cyril Smith

"Former Liberal leader told child abuse inquiry he assumed in 1979 that allegations against MP were true"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ith-revelation

How does he live with himself?

Fuckin hell. Though I guess it would have just been another of those things, a 70s eccentric foible to be tolerated like feeling up secretaries or going to work drunk.

something tells me Kirkcaldy won't be raising any monuments to Steel on his passing. The Brooding Brown is prob more loved (and he's not). Fucking Sons of The Manse but, unctuous hypocrisy comes easy to them.

Spitting Image really did get his slimy wee character right I guess. He always seemed a pompous wee prick, now he's prob gonna die in the ignominy he deserves.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-03-2019, 01:06.

Comment

Also Vince Cable is going. Goodbye Twickenhams rose. Though we never gave a fuck about you at all.

Comment

It does worry me that the world will be able to produce enough bronze to make all the statues of Vince posterity will want to erect.

Comment

What a legacy, to be remembered for a comment you made about Mr Bean and literally nothing else. The main difference between Vince and Mr Bean is that some people were misguided enough to like Mr Bean.

Comment

A man whose stewardship of the Lib Dems has been an experiment in how a black hole can become even more inert. He’s done nothing for politics but a lot for quantum theory.

Comment

He did make Ming Campbell look like Barack Obama.

Comment

Not a fan?

Comment

Is Jo Swinson really the best they can do? I guess her seat is safe enuf if the local Unionist vote tactically falls behind her/the Nats run someone as shite as John Nicholson again, but she seems a barrel scrape of a leader.

Comment

I actually did like Steel, insofar as it mattered (he never held office in Westminster). So this news is sad, but alas, not shocking. That's what people in power did. See Thorpe.

I don't think rewriting history to divide into goodies and baddies ("always knew he was dodgy" etc) is the right perspective. You end up tossing a coin between venerating and tearing down the statue. It can apply to anyone and everyone, from FDR to JFK and MLK. Great public things done by men (sic) who did bad, on the quiet.

Every individual crime should be exposed, historical truth matters above all. But picking them off the pantheon one by one simply misses the point. They all covered up, for themselves or others, and they did it because they could. Now it's harder, and thank goodness for that.

Comment

Always disliked him, obviously the Liberals were a horrible party then and are a horrible party now.

I guess, though, that to some small extent even I am a little bit taken aback at the brazenness.

Fucking piece of shit. Die in agony.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                        hey all covered up, for themselves or others, and they did it because they could. Now it's harder, and thank goodness for that.
                        +1

Comment

I was taken aback by the brazenness of it too; I'd previously imagined Steel's comments that "all he seems to have done is spanked a few bare bottoms" reflected an utterly contemptuous attitude to the seriousness of the offence; he didn't think it mattered whether Smith was guilty because he didn't think the victims were victim-worthy and the crime wasn't much of a crime. But the snivelling cunt of cunt believed Smith had done it, and really didn't think that mattered, with this bullshit about him not being an MP and not being a Liberal at the time. Fucking liberal cowardly cunts, always finding a piece of sophistry to get them off the hook of making hard choices; it's the defining aspect of their political psychology.
                          He then continued to express the same view for many years afterwards, until he was actually faced with being under oath, at which point he changed tack. The Inquiry, lest it be forgotten, that Johnson thinks is a waste of money, a man who wasted £37m on a fucking vanity hedge project.

This country's political class are an utter pack of sociopathic cunts.; Between these twats and the fucking brexiters, I despair.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                            Also Vince Cable is going. Goodbye Twickenhams rose. Though we never gave a fuck about you at all.
                            He was going anyway. I wonder if he'll turn up to his own leaving party. (To be held in the phonebox on the north side of Parliament Square, bring your own sandwiches.)

Comment

Lucy's series of digs at Cable says more about Lucy than it does about Cable. Cable hasn't done a bad job with a very poor hand. As leader of a party with only 12 MPs he has had very little in the way of a platform, certainly in the Commons where he only gets to speak at the fag end of debates, so it was inevitable that his impact was limited. He has presided over a sharp focus of LD poiicy on very clear opposition to Brexit, and been thoroughly sound on internal party issues, equalities etc. He lacks charisma, energy and bite, and to some extent lacks gravitas (having been on Strictly hardly helps, which is his fault of course) so I won't be sorry to see him replaced as our leader. He also lacked judgement in government, especially on the Post Office sell-off which was his worst moment imo. But overall he's a good man and he certainly doesn't deserve that kind of snide vitriol.

Comment

How much vitriol should he get for a billion quid?

Then there's George Osborne's utterly unnecessary austerity of course. Which he enabled. 120000 extra deaths. said Oxford University

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                  Lucy's series of digs at Cable says more about Lucy than it does about Cable.
                                  It says I’m trying to get into a zone before a new job. I don’t really have any strong feelings about Vince, he kind of repels them.

Comment

Oh, and Ken Saro-Wiwa too. Vince didn't feel the execution by the Nigerian state of corporate enemies of the business he was Chief Economist of was cause for considering his position. Such a massive moral streak, our Vince.

Comment

Yeah we shouldn't dismiss Cable as useless and boring. He's been actively vile for a long, long time.

Although maybe on a separate thread. This is about the piece of shit that is Steel and specifically about his role in protecting a child abuser and enabling child abuse
                                      Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 15-03-2019, 12:28.

Comment

Can't really sympathise with him getting the amount of visibility afforded to someone leading 12 MPs when he was a large part of why there are only 12 MPs.

I've said it before elsewhere - the biggest mistake the LDs made in 2010 was thinking that the people wanted them in coalition to carry out their policies. They didn't. People wanted them there to stop the Tories implementing the worst of their policies, a job that they very visibly failed to do. Trading benefits cuts for a 5p tax on carrier bags, tuition fee rises etc etc. And that is before Cable and Clegg were stupid enough to let Osborne and Cameron place the blame firmly on their shoulders.

Comment

The coalition negotiations were an exercise in remarkable collective incompetence by the Lib Dems. Principally their willingness to accept everything the Tories were telling them at face value.

Comment

To go back to Steel and Smith - why is there this tradition of Lib Dem MPs having such a propensity for outrageously entitled criminality? Thorpe, Smith, in more recent times Huhne and Laws (who managed to get back on the front bench within a couple of years despite behavior which, had he been a housing benefit claimant rather than a minister, would have seen him banged up).

Comment

Pop theory time!

It's partly a function of liberalism, which can always find an exception to privilege venality over morality. A party made of people who find the notion of antagonistic class interests a bit icky will always attract people who are a little high on the individualistic egotistical spectrum ('No party speaks for me!). The fact that there's a dearth of talent means you can rise quite high before people cotton on to the fact that you're a wrong 'un. And because you're taking people who could have slotted into the Tories or Labour, you get both their vices (sex and money).

Comment

All very plausible to me, NHH.

Comment

ha ha - glad you guys can wallow in the warm glow that comes from supporting a party whose MPs have been nothing other than a parade of modestly non-entitled law-abiding virtue from the days of Robert Maxwell up to current day Fiona Onasanya.

Edit: via John Stonehouse of course. I'll grant you, Thorpe was unique with the attempted murder thing, but faking your own death is also pretty far out.

Edit 2: an alternative pop theory is that, being relatively rarely in power, Liberal crooks have needed to be more creative and extreme in their measures, compared to Labour crooks, who have been in charge of many local authorities more or less permanently, and often revoltingly corruptly, time and again over the decades, so had it easy with their pursuit of criminal wealth.
                                                  Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 15-03-2019, 16:08.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X