Ruby wedding anniversary present suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruby wedding anniversary present suggestions

It's my mum and dad's ruby wedding anniversary next week. Is there anything particular to this anniversary that I could get them? I'm stumped.

Something that's 40 years old? (like a whisky or a port, for example. Though that assumes they drink). Or something that is very 1979ish. I have no idea what that might be, aside from a portrait of Ayatollah Khomeini or a mug commemorating the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Comment

PiL's 'Metal Box' LP in the original metal box, perhaps.

As a related question, is it common for people other than those directly involved to be aware of such anniversaries? I never heard my parents mention their anniversary at all, and have no idea when they got married, but if my dad's attitude to Father's Day ("fucking nonsense") applied to other Important Dates, that would be consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Something that's 40 years old? (like a whisky or a port, for example. Though that assumes they drink). Or something that is very 1979ish. I have no idea what that might be, aside from a portrait of Ayatollah Khomeini or a mug commemorating the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
        Northern Ireland's reserve center backs called up today were born in November and December 1979

Comment

Comment

Take them out for a Ruby Murray.

Comment

I think I waited until my folks hit the Golden Anniversary stage before I started getting gifts, at which point commemorative glassware was the item of choice.

Comment

Buy them a virgin.

Comment

A really good red (ruby) wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

Northern Ireland's reserve center backs called up today were born in November and December 1979
                    are they a matching pair- could they go on the mantelpiece?

Comment

Brilliant thread.

A matching pair of ruby slippers might be nice. Not sparkly like Dorothy's, that might possibly be weird, but a deep red woolly pair.

Comment

Ooh, or a ruby red piece of glassware. Actually I'd like that.

Comment

HMU if you want to see our 'Special Anniversary' range of punk-themed ceramics and cushions.

Comment

Surely a singing telegram performing "Ruby" by Kaiser Chiefs would hit the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Surely a singing telegram performing "Ruby" by Kaiser Chiefs would hit the spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X