Then, Preston, so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    Your golf hut was probably a micropub before micropubs got trendy.
    No. The regulars wouldn't have allowed "conversation".

Comment

I am half-tempted meself chaps....

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post

I went to a micro in Preston on my way to Blackburn last December - the Guild Ale House, next to the Guildhall funnily enough. Got to read the 1980-81 edition of Rothmans while enjoying a nice pint of something by Wilde Child.
        Yeah, I've been in there and it's very good - provided you like real ale, obvs.

There seems to be another micropub nearer the station, called the Plug and Taps - not tried it myself but it seems to get decent reviews.

Comment

Just a public service announcement for you, ad hoc, while you're in Blighty; these have got 30p off in Waitrose atm.

Comment

They are delicious.

Comment

Ooh. Thanks

Though I will mostly be in locations that I suspect don't have many waitroses - Liverpool then Preston then Stoke

Comment

Just checked on Tesco's website and they have them down to 50p apparently. so it gets even better on the biscuit front.

Comment

I'd also second the Black Horse. Friendly atmosphere, nice design, good jukebox and good selection of drinks. I always nip in when I'm in Preston.

Regarding the mention of the Plug and Taps - it's a new craft beer place across from the (City Centre) Premier Inn and well worth a visit because of the ales they've got. When I visited it, it was very small and without much seating, so be prepared to stand up if you're going at a busy time.

Comment

This is only a week away now, and I'm off to Liverpool on Sunday, where I will be spending the week, and with not a great amount of online time, so if you just want to name your preferred venue Rogin (there are a fair few on this thread that sounded pretty good. Black Horse, Guild Ale House, Plug and Taps). MS - you going to be able to make it? Would be great to see you, but obviously would understand if it's bit out of the way for you.

Comment

AH, I do live a short and cheap train ride from Liverpool just so you know if you have a spare evening....(I'll be coming unless you want to go deep into Leave territory....)

Pretty sure my mobile is in my Facebook account details which you can see btw.

Comment

Liverpool I am busy every night, sadly, so that won't work. I am pretty much full on all week. It's only the evening in Preston when I have a bit of free time

Comment

Fair enough, more reasons to make the effort for Preston then!

Comment

So to confirm, we are talking about the 5th of April, the friday?

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Black Horse it is to meet up. On Friargate. I'll get there between 6 and 7. I might not be up for dining - Signora Rogin will be in town a bit later to rescue me and I think we'll eat together after - but I don't mind going along with others' plans and I'll just have a drink and enjoy your company if you want to.

Any other OTFers who fancy joining a very random OTFthon, if you do do get to the Black Horse on Friday night I'll be the middle-aged bloke in cargo shorts and a jumper looking at his phone and sniggering at it in the snug bar. Codeword will be "Reading some Squires?". Response "Well Of course. Nice to meet you ...".
                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 03-04-2019, 17:07.

Comment

Cargo shorts....

Comment

My train arrives in Preston at 6, see u there chaps...

Comment

Going to leave work early and try to get the 17:4, to get to the BH around half six. If I miss it and get the next one I'll probably be there just after seven.

Comment

I'll be there by 7 at the latest

Comment

Have fun.

I'll be in the Mad Bishop And Bear in Paddington station.

Comment

I'm in the Porterhouse on parliament street.

Comment

Well, a pleasant meeting, we should that more often...

Comment

Realised that I spent the evening in the pub with three people* I'd never met before but who I have known for a probable combined total of over 50 years. Thanks. It was great to actually meet you all.

(*Moonlight Shadow, mumpo, and Rogin)

Comment

I don't suppose that anyone took any photos? I seem to recall seeing photographic evidence of some of the early OTF get-togethers but recent meetings seem to be semi-clandestine affairs with no records kept.

MI5 are going to start sniffing around if we're not careful.

Comment

It was really great to meet in the real world. And mumpo turning up was as nice a surprise as his recent re-emergence on here. I'm glad the Black Horse was as pleasant as I'd remembered it (our grabbing that table was key!). Wish I could have stayed another half hour in the end. Hope mumpo and MS got their trains okay and that ad hoc's stuff at UCLAN is a success today.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X