Then, Preston, so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then, Preston, so...

Think of this as the reverse Rogin thread.

Anyway, I'll be spending 24 hours in Preston at the beginning of April. Much of my time is already taken with a conference at UCLAN, but I might be able to wangle a few hours the evening before. PNE are playing Sheffield Utd, but that's when I'll be at the conference, so even if I wanted to go to that I couldn't. I feel like there must be something football related to do in Preston, even if it isn't attending a match. Anything else? (Also, if you fancy a pint Rogin, or anyone else in the OTFers-not-far-from-Preston grouping, on the evening of Friday April 5th, let me know)

There used to be the football museum at Deepdale, but they moved it to Manchester. I'd definitely be up for a micro-thon - if city centre on a Friday, do you prefer pubs that are out and out rough as arseholes, or places that have cleaned the carpet in the last ten years and are full of tottering girls in dresses and high heels?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 12-03-2019, 16:03.

Comment

Yeah, neither of those options sound really great. I assume the binary choice is something of an exaggeration.

Comment

It doesn't help with your football query, but this is an interesting read about Preston;

In a new series looking at how to make the economy work for everyone, Guardian columnist Aditya Chakrabortty finds out how Preston turned its fortunes around by spending locally

Comment

There are one or two nice and interesting old pubs still in Preston. EIM will want to cover his ears but there's a Wetherspoons in an old bank that is nice as a meeting place, at the other end of Fishergate (the main shopping street) from the train station, closer to the old town square, church and our fantastic brutalist bus station. What sort of time on that Friday did you have in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
            It doesn't help with your football query, but this is an interesting read about Preston;
            Thanks for that

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              There are one or two nice and interesting old pubs still in Preston. EIM will want to cover his ears but there's a Wetherspoons in an old bank that is nice as a meeting place, at the other end of Fishergate (the main shopping street) from the train station, closer to the old town square, church and our fantastic brutalist bus station. What sort of time on that Friday did you have in mind?
              Any time, really whenever suits you. I think I'm getting in around 4 or 5ish and I don't really have any plans for the evening at all. If you feel like getting a couple in early, I could do that, if you'd rather do more of a night out thing, likewise. I'm staying at something grandly called the Legacy International (I seem to remember)

Comment

Sort of rather not go to a Wetherspoons, not for any snob reasons, as many of them seem pretty OK, but just because of that cunt who owns them.

Comment

There must be some pub which is part of the excellent initiative described by Chakrabortty which allows the funds you spend on your night out to stay in Preston instead of the said cunt 's pocket or to pay for the pro-Brexit beer mats which will be on the table in front of you

Comment

You're not wrong about yer man Martin and his views. I was getting ahead of myself and wishing that by April all this nonsense will be over and he'll be eating humble pie. Well okay, I'd prefer an early doors meet up tbh so I'll research where you are hotel wise and come up with a plan that could also suit any other potential thon-ers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                      There must be some pub which is part of the excellent initiative described by Chakrabortty which allows the funds you spend on your night out to stay in Preston instead of the said cunt 's pocket or to pay for the pro-Brexit beer mats which will be on the table in front of you
                      I think the pub by the station has tarted itself up a bit and no longer has an IRA collection box if that helps

Comment

I've worked at the Wetherspoons. It's in the same building as the Job Centre. This says something about British society, I'm just not sure what.

Comment

Preston is the site of the first Kentucky Fried Chicken in this country. This information was discovered, by me, on a football trip, and is therefore football-related.

Comment

Yeah, I think that statue of Tom Finney is more my cup of tea.

Comment

More Lancastrian football- Brexit tie-ins: Fleetwood Town's reserve keeper is the stepson of a DUP MP

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                I've worked at the Wetherspoons. It's in the same building as the Job Centre. This says something about British society, I'm just not sure what.
                                That Wetherspoons is one in the "rough as" category. There's another one now up the other end of town in an old bank that is quite grand in comparison. However, I reckon the 2 most OTFish pubs at the Uni/station end of town, and both a five minute walk from ad hoc's hotel, will be the Old Black Bull and the smaller but victorianly quaint Black Horse.
                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 13-03-2019, 10:33.

Comment

If you're hungry (which I assume you will be at some point) eat at Jaffa's, top middle eastern/Mediterranean food in a smart but no-frills environment at a price that will keep your wallet happy too.

It's just eastwards a bit of the Legacy, on Friargate.
                                  Last edited by Mumpo; 13-03-2019, 14:54.

Comment

Is the Sun on Friargate still there? That was always my preferred pub when I was at university. In my first year when the cash dried up, the one night out a week I allowed myself was five pints of Smooth in the Sun (£9) and a bag of chips on the walk home.

Comment

Has the micropub boom not hit Preston?

Comment

Signora Rogin has expressed an interest to come and meet someone from "the odd lot off your messageboard", especially as she knows it was you that gave us some tips about Cluj and Romania before we went there. I once took her out of our way on a holiday in Devon to have a drink with Toro Toro.
                                        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 13-03-2019, 16:26.

Comment

Well there will only be one of me, so arguably I am an odd lot off the messageboard. I recommend dampening down her expectations - I mean it sounds like they are pretty low already, but they can never be too low.

If you're hungry (which I assume you will be at some point) eat at Jaffa's, top middle eastern/Mediterranean food in a smart but no-frills environment at a price that will keep your wallet happy too.
                                          this sounds good, and fairly appropriate too, since the event I'm going to is focussed on Gaza

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                            I went to a micro in Preston on my way to Blackburn last December - the Guild Ale House, next to the Guildhall funnily enough. Got to read the 1980-81 edition of Rothmans while enjoying a nice pint of something by Wilde Child.

Comment

I think they were an '80s hair metal band from Cincinnati.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                                I just looked up what a micropub is. I think I'm supposed to like it, but I'm not sure. Wikipedia goes on about "conversation" and stuff - and, above all, mottos and non-acronyms and "keep it simple" and that. I'm not sure.

Comment

Your golf hut was probably a micropub before micropubs got trendy.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X