ASD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    I presume that TDD is a regular who decided to go incognito, as one or two others have done in the past when wishing to discuss what might be termed sensitive or personal issues.
    I wondered that. The style seems somewhat familiar.

Nice tale, regardless.

Comment

My impression likewise. I shared it with Mrs Lucy who reacted in the same way as I did - such a great thing to read from our perspective particularly. If TDD is a regular I can understand why they might have wanted to post anonymously, but I'm sure I'm not alone in believing it would have been received like this regardless.

Comment

I don't wish to be rude, or insensitive, or a plain cunt, but why would anyone wish to post a story about ASD anonymously?

Be proud of who your children are and embrace their unique gifts.

If anybody has anything negative to say, that's their problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
          Get yourself this book, mate. It won't make a Dublin subway magically appear, but it will flesh out further what you are missing out on.
          I'm wet.

Comment

I’ve had that book for years and I was never a huge fan, because THE MAPS ARENT BIG ENOUGH. That’s the level I’m operating at here.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
              I don't wish to be rude, or insensitive, or a plain cunt, but why would anyone wish to post a story about ASD anonymously?

Be proud of who your children are and embrace their unique gifts.

If anybody has anything negative to say, that's their problem.
              Sure, but some people are less comfortable talking about personal stuff, and might feel awkward about talking about their kids. I get that.

I was interviewed recently about a project relating to autism, and I didn’t mention that my son had it - not at all because I was embarrassed, but cos I didn’t want him to see it one day and feel I’d invaded his privacy or used his ASD to sell something. Maybe that was over sensitive but I decided to do that in advance and stuck to it.
              Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 07-03-2019, 21:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                I dream happily of metro transit systems that don't exist and feel bereft when I awake to Dublin with no subway/Glasgow only having the wee circle line.
                Apropos of nothing, it took me a long time to work out that the Glasgow underground was just two trains going in opposite directions. I had envisaged something far more grandoise, with multiple circular lines intersecting. The odd thing was, I think my imaginary version of the subway actually worked.

I wasn't a local, see, so getting to go on the clockwork orange was a bit exciting and mysterious.

Comment

More on topic, I had to break up a fight at my school's athletics day, between a boy with ASD and another boy who appears to just have been a thug in training. Days like that must be absolutely Hellish for people with ASD.

Comment

A lovely first - in both ways - post. I have had a fair bit to do with children on the spectrum and a reasonable amount of training about it. I am presently in a special school that predominately has children on the spectrum. I realised long ago, that the more experience I have with children with ASD etc. the less I know. I do, however, know a fair bit more than some schools. For instance, there seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated-by-evidence instruction on wall displays by school man. I have walked into classrooms that are so festooned with words, pictures and colours that it must be hellish for children with ASD.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                      Sure, but some people are less comfortable talking about personal stuff, and might feel awkward about talking about their kids. I get that.
                      This, plus history of people making very personal attacks on here based on any and all information they could gather on the target.

Comment

Thought I’d share this, as the wife and I have cracked open the bubbly to celebrate - young master Lucy Waterman got his place at our wonderful local special school today. Was refused by Kent County Council earlier this year, we appealed and had a tribunal date set for October. YMLW was set to start at our nearby primary in September, which would have been, ok, fine - but this is what he needs and deserves. KCC rang Mrs Lucy this morning to tell her and she was in tears down the phone. I feel like I did when I got my place at uni, or my first writing job that let me go full time - this is a life changing moment.

Comment

That's fantastic news. Enjoy your Aero bar.

Comment

What wonderful news, Lucy. I'm so pleased for you all.

Comment

This is excellent news. I hope both of you continue to be like dogs with a bone to get what your son deserves and is entitled to. Sadly you have to know more than the experts to get things in the UK education system.

Congratulations on all your efforts paying off.

Comment

Brilliant news. Many congratulations

Comment

Thanks all - AE, you’re absolutely right about how hard and smart you have to fight, and I must give a lot of the credit to Mrs Lucy, who has led from the front and fought less like a dog than like a mighty tigress.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Congratulations to the Watermans! That's great news.

Comment

This is great news LW.

But, the battles eh?

Comment

Congratulations Lucy.

Comment

Excellent news Lucy. A great start to the summer holidays.

My son finally got a one to one teaching assistant after Easter and it's done him the world of good. It's great when things finally go your way.

Comment

Fantastic

Comment

Great to hear your good news too, Jon.

Comment

Excellent news, LW, although it should be tempered by the fact that they employ yahoos like me in special schools so never take your eyes off them. Not for one minute.

On a more serious note, I have to mildly take exception to this
                                                  Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                  Sadly you have to know more than the experts to get things in the UK education system.
                                                  No, you don't have to know more than the experts in general. As LW says, it was Kent council that he was appealing against and they, like any councils, are not experts on autism-friendly practice in education like, for instance, his local special school is, I am sure. To be fair, we don't know what funding issues etc. they are up against although it is entirely possible that they haven't acted appropriately. As I say though, I wouldn't have the council down as 'experts'. Even when I was fully immersed in study about education in my degree (including quite a lot on SEN) and when I started as a teacher, I would still defer to my son's teacher as the expert on his teacher. In any area, we shouldn't undermine experts in the field - let's not forget Gove's "people have had enough of experts" - and especially in education where there has been a decades long campaign from governments of all stripe to devalue educationalists and teachers.

I appreciate, AE, that you of all people don't want those who work with children directly undermined and that it was probably clumsy phrasing but I think it bears clarifying.

Comment

Yes, BE - the special school were fully behind us under the counter - at least, that was our reading. And I’m sure AE sees that you both are coming from the same place.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X