Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids These Days

EDIT: Removed
    Last edited by Johnny Velvet; 05-11-2021, 12:12.

A number of reasons were given for the closures but the article made mention of "a sudden outbreak of puritanism among Ireland's youth."

or they have to get a licence for every night that costs .€400.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ View Post
      There's an article in The Guardian today describing how British university students are refraining from the hedonistic pursuits of their predecessors. The conservative reflex seems to pin the blame for all of this on the supposed self-righteousness and judgemental nature of Millennials
      I hate those terms, but if we're going to use them: current university students (mature students aside) are too young to be millenials, they're the vanguard of Generation Z.

Comment

I know I would hate the gym bunny lifestyle that now seems mandatory for under 35s. The only folk I knew in Uni that went used the gym for anything but swimming were rugger buggers or total weirdos. I can't remember anyone aspiring to a six pack twenty years back. Being skinny and being unripped wasn't a Thing to be hung up on as a guy after maybe high school PE. I remember me and a porky English lad laughing at Americans in Barcelona who were all about the body fascism after I left uni, now their antics seem the norm over here.

I did find it really disturbing a few years back when Conor McGregor was seen as a positive role model by workmates under 30.

Last edited by Lang Spoon; 06-03-2019, 00:25.

Comment

I used to go to the gym for two hours a day in my final year in college, primarily to avoid studying. It was good. I felt great. I spent several months that summer moving rocks and helping out with the rebuilding of my granny's house. I didn't feel great enough though to pay for membership when I lost free access to the college gym. (That and I stepped on a nail and couldn't really walk properly for a month) I can see why people might be into it though. It's very hypnotic.

Comment

I don't know how widespread this is but here in Vancouver venues for live music have almost disappeared, Small clubs simply can't afford the rents and the aggro from neighbours in their million dollar condos. The medium to large venues survive, but there's nowhere in the city for local bands to build a rep. I guess I'm suggesting that there may be factors other than the penury of the potential audience, which I agree is definitely true.

Comment

My father in law was telling me the other day how the younger chaps in his line of work (construction) seem much more health conscious - they eat better, the go to the gym (on top of quite a demanding job), I found this quite interesting.

Comment

I've got a serious answer to this from the industry side of things, but I'm not sure I can face typing it all out it's so boring.

Consumer habits are changing. People are going out less but spend more when they do. Gentrification of the hospitality industry. It's why highstreet and mid-tier dining outlets are struggling.

Comment

Erm, this is exactly the place for such insight tbh, what with you actually knowing a lot about this sort of thing.

A lot of the problems with a lot of Irish nightclubs, particularly in Dublin is that they take up a lot of space, and are only used for a couple of hours a week, a situation made worse by the licencing situation These places aren't closing completely, they've just mostly ripped out the dancefloors so they don't have to have a dancing licence and you can just drink all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                    My father in law was telling me the other day how the younger chaps in his line of work (construction) seem much more health conscious - they eat better, the go to the gym (on top of quite a demanding job), I found this quite interesting.
                    Going to the gym is going to make the demanding job a lot easier. Certainly a lot easier than sinking 8 or 9 pints a night, and carrying a fuckload of weight on top of all the physical work that they do. I wouldn't rule out the influx of eastern europeans into the building industry having an impact on builders in general. I met a few poles who were working in that line of things, and they were big and clearly had seen the inside of a gym or two. If you're going to hire someone, you're going to hire the person that looks like they could lift a car.

Comment

The younger generations of the "left behind" are going the opposite way mind (plenty of those to observe where I live), they all seem to want to catch one if not all of skin cancer, lung cancer and bowel cancer...

Comment

Working...
                      X