Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Israel

needs it's own thread, Not about Netanyahu. Not about antisemitism. Not about Palestine- or not only.

This made me think it

https://twitter.com/ml_maria_/status/1102495289104044032

Not sure I agree with this. You don't have to be a regular or strict adherence to a religious code to abide by or be influenced by the culture it engenders.
    For example, a majority of indigenous brits do not attend Church (besides weddings, funeral and Christening), yet their outlook is heavily based on the morals handed down by the church (usually hardcore Old Testament shit) Until very recently, the outlook on Divorce, Womens rights, Slavery, Colonialism and Gay rights wouldn't have got much disagreement from Oliver Cromwell.

I mean the attitude shown towards the ISIS girl is a very predictable Old testament Christian outlook.

Comment

The justification for apartheid was underpinned by a perverse theology, with Afrikaners thinking they were the "chosen people". Israel isn't that different.

Comment

https://twitter.com/AsafRonel/status/1104658843928276992

Comment

Do you know what the instagram post says Nef?

Comment

from the Jerusalem Post

Rotem Sela, a prolific TV host and star of The Baker and the Beauty, took to Instagram Saturday night to criticize Culture Minister Miri Regev and the journalist who interviewed her.
            "Miri Regev is sitting and explaining to [Channel 12 news anchor] Rina Matsliah that the public needs to beware, because if Benny Gantz is elected he will have to create a government with the Arabs," Sela wrote on Instagram, alongside a photo of the culture minister. "Rina Matsliah is silent. And I ask myself: why doesn't Rina ask her in shock: 'And what's the problem with the Arabs???'
            Dear god, there are also Arab citizens in this country. "When will anyone in this government tell the public that this is a country of all its citizens, and all people are born equal." The actress said that "the Arabs are also human beings. And also the Druze, and the gays, and the lesbians and... gasp... leftists."

But Netanyahu didn't let Sela's words go unanswered. On Sunday morning, the prime minister posted on Facbeook a message addressed directly to the actress.

"First of all," he wrote, "an important correction: Israel is not a country of all its citizens. According to the Nation-State Law that we passed, Israel is the the nation-state of the Jewish nation - and its alone. As you wrote, there is no problem with Arab citizens - they have equal rights and the Likud government invested in the Arab sector more than any other government.The prime minister then launched into his campaign motto: "It's either a strong right-wing government led by me or a weak left-wing government led by Yair Lapid and [Benny] Gantz with the support of the Arab parties."

The Arab political parties have repeatedly indicated that they would not join a Zionist government, and Blue and White leaders have said they don't need them in order to form a coalition.

Sela is the popular TV host of a host of reality TV shows in Israel, including Hakochav Haba (Rising Star) and Ninja Israel, and appeared in the Israeli drama Autonomies last year. She is also a close friend of Israeli actress Gal Gadot; the pair have taken several vacations abroad together in recent months.
            "

Comment

Ta

Comment

As much as Netanyahu and the current direction of Israeli Govt policy makes me shudder, I do wonder sometimes why they get so much attention compared to other ugly regional (like Yemen) or global flashpoints.

Comment

They're white?

Comment

I'd argue that there isn't the attention paid to the Palestinian situation as there should be. (There is a fair amount of attention paid to Israel - both positive and negative - but very little to the victims). There are situations elsewhere (notably Yemen and the oppression of the Uighurs) which are genuinely awful and which are getting very little attention at all. And other situations (notably at the moment, Venezuela) which in the grand scheme of things seem to be taking column inches away from more serious situations.

As for why Israel /Palestine gets the attention it does get - the length of time the occupation has gone on, the amount of support Israel gets from Western governments, the fact that it's sort of close to us (and indeed Israel is sort of perceived on some level as European, perhaps even western European). That's some of it.

​​

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                      As much as Netanyahu and the current direction of Israeli Govt policy makes me shudder, I do wonder sometimes why they get so much attention compared to other ugly regional (like Yemen) or global flashpoints.
                      you're welcome to start a thre ad called "Yemen" if you wish.

Comment

Netanyahu has in effect said that Israel is an apartheid state then. Nice to see that cleared up. Perhaps now we can criticise him without being called an anti semite.

Comment

Here’s more about the exclusion of leftist Joint Arab /Jewish candidates

Comment

One (admittedly small) difference is that you can convert to Judaism (and marry into it) but not to being white. There are also black Jews, obviously (Ethiopian, etc).

But I've no doubt that the Israeli elite sees Arabs as a race* so the exclusion side of the equation is racial.

*But also note that some of the leading anti-racist scholars in the US (e.g. Lewontin) and elsewhere have been predominantly Jewish, for obvious historical reasons, so anti-Arab racism is certainly not a global Jewish trait.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              One (admittedly small) difference is that you can convert to Judaism (and marry into it) but not to being white. There are also black Jews, obviously (Ethiopian, etc).

But I've no doubt that the Israeli elite sees Arabs as a race* so the exclusion side of the equation is racial.

*But also note that some of the leading anti-racist scholars in the US (e.g. Lewontin) and elsewhere have been predominantly Jewish, for obvious historical reasons, so anti-Arab racism is certainly not a global Jewish trait.
                              I cannot find the link yet but there have been many examples of Ethiopian Jews being discriminated against.

Also in terms of becoming white both the Jews and Irish have successfully done this, wish I could find the study of when did the Irish become white.

However I do take on board what you are saying and agree with you, this wasn't meant to be a post that disagreed or contradicted you and apologies if it comes across as that.

Comment

I've seen Ethiopian Jews discriminated against and subject to racism very blatantly within the IDF. Indeed it was my experience if you came upon an IDF patrol or checkpoint, if there were any Ethiopians there they were always the least obnoxious and most reasonable.

Comment

I should have qualified my post to say that "becoming white" applied to apartheid South Africa.

For the US, you're probably thinking about Ignatiev:

https://www.amazon.com/Irish-Became-.../dp/0415963095

Comment

https://twitter.com/PACBI/status/1104837713352642560

Comment

I think it should have been the other way around, Europe should have boycotted Israel as they are an apartheid state.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                        I think it should have been the other way around, Europe should have boycotted Israel as they are an apartheid state.
                                        Noooooo, that would be anti-semitic. Do you have a portrait of Hitler in your office?

Regarding the Ethiopian Jews, didn't a large number return to Ethiopia due to their treatment?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                          Noooooo, that would be anti-semitic. Do you have a portrait of Hitler in your office?

Regarding the Ethiopian Jews, didn't a large number return to Ethiopia due to their treatment?
                                          I do in fact only have a portrait of Corbyn, because he's a racist, an Islamaphobe, an anti semite and basically just an all round bigot.

Jews returning to Ethiopia is definitely something I've heard of due to the amount of racism they suffered in Israel.

Comment

Israel has been engaging in the most vile eugenics programs ever since its creation, administrating deadly doses of radiations to tens of thousands of Arab and Black Jewish children, and forcibly sterilizing Ethiopian immigrants even in recent times:

"Research on productive trafficking indicates that”…there is a deliberate targeting of these women.” The birth rate in the Ethiopian community in Israel has halved in the last ten years. The National goes on to report that a 2009 study by led by researcher Hedva Eyal revealed that some 57 percent of all Depo-Provera users in Israel were Ethiopian, yet their community represents less than 2 percent of the country’s population: “Medical staff have pressured women to take the contraceptive at Israeli-linked transit centres inside Ethiopia that prepare them for immigration to Israel…officials at the centres threatened to deny an unspecified number of applicants entry into Israel if they refused the drug…Ms Eyal described the drug’s use as part of an “unspoken policy” in Israel that aimed to reduce ‘the number of births in a community that is Black and mostly poor.'”

Many Ethiopian women appeared unaware of the side-effects associated with Depo-Provera and alternatives to it, such as pill-form contraception, she said."

https://www.ebony.com/news/the-force...ish-women-785/

"...the preferred Ashkenazi Jews, ... were the nation’s elite. It was then that Jews from Arab lands began arriving in great numbers. David Ben Gurion knew he needed great numbers of Jews to come to Israel in order to counter the demographic threat posed by Israel’s Palestinian population (those who hadn’t been expelled during the Nakba). That’s why he accepted and encouraged the Arab immigration, despite the fact that the newcomers’ Sephardi heritage was considered defective."

"Israel allowed one senior health official, Dr. Chaim Sheba, to conduct a massive program of unnecessary medical treatments, at enormous expense, which actually killed many of the victims. At that time, many children developed ringworm, a non-lethal condition of fungal origin which affected the scalp. Unlike in other countries, 100,000 Jewish (and Palestinian) Arab children were irradiated in order to treat the condition. While medical protocol of the day directed that no technician receive a dose higher than .5 Roentgen, those treated could received a higher dose. A lethal dose was considered 200 Roentgen (R). The children treated received individual doses of 350R. Sometimes they received two doses (for a total of 600R). 6,000 of the victims died within the first year or so after treatment. To this day, many of the remaining victims suffer cancers, epilepsy, infertility and other brain disorders. Even their children have been impacted through genetic abnormalities passed on from one generation to the next."

https://www.richardsilverstein.com/2...arab-children/

Comment

Well, this is...it's...well, it's an election advert.... And apparently not a spoof, as much as it looks nailed on to be one (she's Israel's justice minister)

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...e-ad-1.7039221

Comment

I don't have anything of much interest to say about Israel even though my mother lived there for four years (two years at first, then back to Wales, then refused entry at Tel Aviv airport - long story - and then two more years) and that my sisters were there for varying amounts of time as well living it up/down on a moshav somewhere in the Negev.

The only possible original story I can tell is that one day in Netanya, where my mum was living, I needed a toilet one day and luckily there was a public one in the town. So I went inside and discovered that there was no loo roll. I looked around and lo and behold there was a woman lurking with that very thing. In some kind of mixture or English, Arabic, French and sign language we managed to sort out that I really didn't know how many bits of toilet paper I needed to take to the bog with me and please could she give me as much as she had as I was unsure whether the few bits of paper she originally wanted to let me have were enough. She begrudgingly agreed and I gave her a few shekels tip.

Next time I might tell you about the time my sisters and me shared one bed down in Eilat but then again maybe not.

Comment

https://972mag.com/annexation-is-happening-netanyahu-election/140885
                                                  Last edited by Nefertiti2; 07-04-2019, 10:16.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X