Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    Phil Collins.
    So it was, I liked Phil Collins at the time. He was great in Genesis and that Bank Robbery film.

Comment

Good grief. I know that you like to be the contrarian on here, but that really takes the Bath Oliver...

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
        Phil Collins.

I know he's not that well liked on here but I'm not sure that we can pin a coup in Nigeria on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          Good grief. I know that you like to be the contrarian on here, but that really takes the Bath Oliver...
          Hahaha, Just when you were all beginning to like me huh........
          I never know why he was so hated on here, I mean it was a bit cheesy but his music was cheerful enough. Much better than the Smiths, Morrissey and all that depressive guff arounbd at the time.

I should say, I liked Adam and the Ants, Shakin Stevens, Duran Duran and Boy George. I also like School dinners too.

There, those revelations have lifted a load of my shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Hahaha, Just when you were all beginning to like me huh........
            I never know why he was so hated on here,
            Wasn't he an enthusiastic Thatcherite Tory?

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

I should say, I liked Adam and the Ants, Shakin Stevens, Duran Duran and Boy George. I also like School dinners too.

There, those revelations have lifted a load of my shoulders.

I'm assuming there's a BBC Actionline webpage full of support groups you can contact, TG.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54008495

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in. Utterly bizarre. She's got some bloody front, that's for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54008495

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in. Utterly bizarre. She's got some bloody front, that's for sure!
                This isn't uncommon, It would be interesting if she maintained her black facade whenever the police pulled her over or if she went full Jackie Mason
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lft...oXQ_s&index=12
                Last edited by Tactical Genius; 04-09-2020, 14:39.

Comment

Much better than the Smiths, Morrissey and all that depressive guff arounbd at the time.
                  Lowest bar ever. There is literally no other band or performer in history who wasn't preferable to the Smiths/Morrissey. [Edit: ok, on reflection I'll concede that some of Cliff Richard's output has been worse.]

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Lowest bar ever. There is literally no other band or performer in history who wasn't preferable to the Smiths/Morrissey. [Edit: ok, on reflection I'll concede that some of Cliff Richard's output has been worse.]
                    With you most of the way but Marr is good.

Comment

Morrissey being a total pillock nowadays doesn't diminish in any way (most of) what The Smiths did.

Anyway, back on topic...

Comment

There have been numerous very good bands whose front men were cunts, even racist cunts, without the music being rendered significantly worse.

Comment

Just to be absolutely clear, my low opinion of the Smiths, and Morrissey in particular, has nothing to do with the fact that he has in recent years revealed himself to be a racist moron. I have found it mildly amusing to see how Smiths fans have been shocked by their hero having feet of clay. I loathe Morrissey mainly because, as a performer with the Smiths, he was so repulsively twattish, his stupid miserabilist singing style and his ludicrous cavorting on-stage movement, that I couldn't watch him for more than a second or two without thinking "just fuck off and disappear, you miserable talentless charmless self-indulgent ubertwat". No doubt there were some good musicians in the band, but so what. I don't care if the most world-renowned pastry chefs cook the world's best pastry as part of a turd tart.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...droidApp_Other

No more white saviours to be sent to Africa, for Comic Relief that is.

Comment

That’s good*, still keeping up the partnerships, but ditching the patronising / negative stereotypes.

*can’t please everyone, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...droidApp_Other

No more white saviours to be sent to Africa, for Comic Relief that is.
                                Disgraceful, will nobody think of these C list celebs looking to reboot their flailing careers?

Comment

https://twitter.com/lorrainemking/status/1700958275976491421?t=ImswiTXD3oVn0XkTG0U6KQ&s=19

No words.

Comment

I've read about her previously. Wanted to be a doctor without doing any of the hard work like studying medicine and in true narcissist style had a call from God that lined up exactly with her fantasy career.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      I've read about her previously. Wanted to be a doctor without doing any of the hard work like studying medicine and in true narcissist style had a call from God that lined up exactly with her fantasy career.
                                      More likely from the Devil. I've never heard of this until the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                        Just to be absolutely clear, my low opinion of the Smiths, and Morrissey in particular, has nothing to do with the fact that he has in recent years revealed himself to be a racist moron. I have found it mildly amusing to see how Smiths fans have been shocked by their hero having feet of clay. I loathe Morrissey mainly because, as a performer with the Smiths, he was so repulsively twattish, his stupid miserabilist singing style and his ludicrous cavorting on-stage movement, that I couldn't watch him for more than a second or two without thinking "just fuck off and disappear, you miserable talentless charmless self-indulgent ubertwat". No doubt there were some good musicians in the band, but so what. I don't care if the most world-renowned pastry chefs cook the world's best pastry as part of a turd tart.
                                        A guy on my hall sophomore year listened to them a lot. I found his voice annoying. Later on, I came to appreciate a lot of their songs, but find that Johnny Marr's version or any number of other cover versions are better.

Love Spit Love did "How Soon is Now?" and it was the theme song for that show about the three attractive witches living in what must have been an $8m home in San Francisco. Can't recall the name of it. But that was the best part of the show.

Now, I want to hear more about how Phil Collins caused unrest in Nigeria.

Comment

If she hasn't seen the show, how does she know it's being romanticized? From the description, the title and the fucking trailer, it's abundantly clear that it will be in depth and examine all perspectives on the story.

For the millionth time, making a film or a doc about something isn't "glorifying" or "romanticizing" it. Critics who insist that it is - usually on fucking twitter - insult the audience and the filmmakers.

Stop. Just fucking stop it.
                                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 11-09-2023, 21:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            I blame the internet. It's much easier to fundraise for something like that now than ever before. In the past, you'd have to go to big donors and organizations one at a time and they'd be more likely to ask questions.

From my understanding, the best that one can probably do by going from the rich world to one of these places with relatively few resources is to just talk to the locals doing the real work and finding out how it all really works and what they really need.

Still, I don't want to go. No matter how humble I make myself and how hard I worked while I was there, I'd still feel like a tourist. Everybody hates a tourist.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Love Spit Love did "How Soon is Now?" and it was the theme song for that show about the three attractive witches living in what must have been an $8m home in San Francisco. Can't recall the name of it. But that was the best part of the show.
                                              The Craft.

That Love Spit Love cover was one of those rare examples where the cover is better than the original. IMHO

Comment

Was it called that? I thought that witches show with the Smiths cover was called "Charmed"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                                                  Was it called that? I thought that witches show with the Smiths cover was called "Charmed"?
                                                  Ah. Perhaps there was a series that evolved from the film? The Craft featured 4 witches (The lass from Scream who isn't Courtney Cox, was one of them), they were in a big house in California and the Love Spit Love cover was one of the main tracks on the accompanying album.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

If she hasn't seen the show, how does she know it's being romanticized? From the description, the title and the fucking trailer, it's abundantly clear that it will be in depth and examine all perspectives on the story.

For the millionth time, making a film or a doc about something isn't "glorifying" or "romanticizing" it. Critics who insist that it is - usually on fucking twitter - insult the audience and the filmmakers.

Stop. Just fucking stop it.
                                                    It's pretty clear from the first line of the tweet that it's not. Is this tweeter religious or something? It's so disingenuous that I'm questioning motives.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X