• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No longer in proper order.

Andrew Preview has died.

RIP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17342940

More people knew him through that Morecambe and Wise sketch than anything else. A talented man nonetheless.

Comment

Mia Farrow will presumably wish it had been another ex-partner who snuffed it.

Comment

First Frank...now André. She's the black widow, that one...

Comment

Two threads, this one and TTDD's on Music. RIP. Andrew Preview, from the days of TV memories shared by pretty much the whole nation.

Comment

In that case I'll post my anecdote on this thread as well.

My mum got his autograph (for me) when she spotted him in the Tooting branch of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the early '70s.

I'm not sure which is the more surprising, that Previn occasionally ate at KFC or that my dear, old, shy mum (a) recognised him and (b) approached him for his signature.

Actually, it's easily the latter.

Comment

She told you that they met in Tooting KFC, maybe it was at the Albert Hall.

Also whilst lots of people in Britain knew Previn via the BBC Paul S he won several Oscars. People may not have known him but they knew his music.

Comment

Either way, that's no way to conduct yourself...

Comment

You, sir, are Scarborough's Tim Vine.

Comment

I worried it would be too soon....yi....

Comment

Effortless.

Comment

Former brother in law of (Dear) Prudence

Comment

I've been trying to think of people from other fields who were similar to Previn, as far as public profile was concerned. Meaning - everyone knew him (because telly) but most didn't know much about his day job.

In my 3/4 channel childhood, he was ubiquitous, or so it seems in retrospect. But I never really knew what he did. Four Oscars? I only learned that today.

Comment

Yes, I think our 3/4 channel childhood was about having a parade of celebrities who were disconnected from their actual claims to fame. The suit and baton were enough to tell us this guy was from high culture. What saves it is that around 1974 these celebs still have gravitas and actual good CVs whereas by around 1980 the walk-ons might be people who were famous for five minutes, like when you watch an old repeat of Never Mind The Buzzcocks or HIGNFY and only recognize one of the four guests.

Comment

Thought it deserved raising in World, rather than just music, tbh.

Comment

Working...
                              X