Imminent end of the world: Kashmir edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imminent end of the world: Kashmir edition

This stuff terrifies the fuck out of me https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...trikes-kashmir

Well you’ll be pleased to know you’re getting things out of proportion. Radio 4 led on the fact that Chris Williamson said he disagreed with the party on antisemitism at a meeting last week.

Comment

Oh this is getting really hairy. India targeting sites in Pakistan and jets getting shot down. I don't know how to describe the Indian targets, they aren't official Pakistani military bases but seem to have parallels to the little green men of Russia in Ukraine although in this case in Pakistani territory.

One thing that stood out, unimportant as it is was that the Pakistani jet was shot down by an Indian Air Force MIG 21. A jet that entered service (with I imagine very different electronics) in 1959.

Comment

Things seem to be escalating at a really quick pace, which makes rash decisions more likely.

Comment

The jet that was shot down was an Indian Mig21, not the other way around, I think it was brought down in an air to air long range confrontation. Its pilot has been captured by Pakistan. I'm not sure why India sent out the Mig 21s, given that they have a fleet of new Sukhoi Su30s with sophisticated avionics.

The bombing run on alleged militant targets in Pakistani Kashmir that started this conflagration yesterday was done by a squadron of Indian Mirage 2000s.

I think this is basic nationalist saber rattling by Modi, the elections in India are two months away. Gandhi must be turning in his grave...

Pakistan saved face by downing and capturing the Indian pilot. Neither side wants escalation, I doubt it will escalate.
          Last edited by linus; 27-02-2019, 21:16.

Comment

So, who exactly is most at danger from India's Mig-21 force?

Since 1963, India has introduced more than 1,200 MiG fighters into its air force. As of 2019, 113 MiG-21s are known to be in operation in the IAF.[11] However, the plane has been plagued by safety problems. Since 1970 more than 170 Indian pilots and 40 civilians have been killed in MiG-21 accidents. At least 14 MiG-21s have crashed between 2010 and 2013.[12] Over half of the 840 aircraft built between 1966 and 1984 were lost to crashes.[13] When in afterburner, the engine operates very close to its surge line and the ingestion of even a small bird can lead to an engine surge/seizure and flame out.

Yikes.

Comment

This was pretty awful from Trevor Noah

https://twitter.com/badkuthi69/status/1101558453984784385

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Fuck me that's awful.

Comment

Working...
                  X