No announcement yet.

Genealogy - The DNA Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a couple of photos of my grandfather while searching online yesterday. Here he is sitting front right, with the monkey, (called 'Jacko'...). Taken in Hoihow (Hainan), in September 1898.
    Unfortunately, the list of 'people' on the back reads "Boy, boy, coolie, cook, RFCH [the initials of the man whose collection the photo is in], EHDSX [my grandfather] and Jacko"

Comment

Very cool photo, jdsx. I'm fascinated by Jacko. Was he your grandfather's?

Comment

Not that I know of, although I think my dad owned a large (framed?) photo of his dad which also featured Jacko....so maybe he was a family 'pet'...! My grandfather died when my dad was only four, and he didn't get on with his mum, so not a lot of family history has come down to me!

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
          Found a couple of photos of my grandfather while searching online yesterday. Here he is sitting front right, with the monkey, (called 'Jacko'...). Taken in Hoihow (Hainan), in September 1898.
          Unfortunately, the list of 'people' on the back reads "Boy, boy, coolie, cook, RFCH [the initials of the man whose collection the photo is in], EHDSX [my grandfather] and Jacko"

Hahahah, that's one of the most colonial pictures I have ever seen.
          Everyone in that picture is looking at your grandfather with murderous eyes, even the white dude sitting next to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Hahahah, that's one of the most colonial pictures I have ever seen.
            Everyone in that picture is looking at your grandfather with murderous eyes, even the white dude sitting next to him.
            I don't think my grandfather was important enough to warrant such attention. Most likely they were worried about what 'Jacko' might do.... the next photo is a bit more 'composed':
            (it's the pith helmet that makes it so...colonial, though....)

Comment

There is no part of that photo that isn't colonial though. Even down to the SOAS copyright in the bottom corner.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                There is no part of that photo that isn't colonial though. Even down to the SOAS copyright in the bottom corner.
                Indeed.

This is perhaps my favourite photo though.... my grandfather (2nd from left) gets his name written on because the previous photo features almost the same group with all their names listed... The caption is; "Tea at Schomberg's, Hoihow, Hainan, 18 August, 1898"

Comment

I love the woman with the mandolin. It has a proper italian roundback. They must all have been fucking dying of the heat. Hainan is only 19 degrees north of the equator.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post

I don't think my grandfather was important enough to warrant such attention. Most likely they were worried about what 'Jacko' might do.... the next photo is a bit more 'composed':
                    (it's the pith helmet that makes it so...colonial, though....)

I was going to say that he looks as though he's riding Jacko like a bike, and indeed have done so, but then became aware how that remark may be misinterpreted by dirty minds, like mine.

The Boxer Rebellion broke out a few weeks after the photographs were taken. Given the demeanours of the locals, possibly because of them!
                    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 13-03-2019, 23:42.

Comment

I embarked upon my Mark 2 family tree yesterday (a hand drawn one, not on Ancestry; Ancestry is invaluable for searching but I want to have a "proper" one too and eventually aim to print all the sources for the individuals too). In an attempt to reduce the limitations of the perpendicular I've introduced diagonals. So each of my four grandparents has their own tree sprouting from the centre at 90 degrees to the next.

Comment

You can tell how good an idea that is, by how obvious it seems in hindsight.

Comment

Hmmm, the jury's out. Anyway in hindsight, writing about my family tree methodology is dull by even my standards. So here's a bygone family story instead.

The forebears of my dad's paternal grandma, in rural Oxfordshire:

William & Ann: poor Ann gave birth to thirteen children between 1783 and 1802, of whom three died in infancy. Most of the births are marked "Pauper".

Their grandson Thomas married Hannah and they had a mere five children from 1830 to 1840. But considering he spent the last twenty years of his life (1859-79) in Littlemore Pauper Lunatic Asylum, having also served three months in jail for larceny in 1839, that was fairly good going. Apologies to readers of Mundane II for the duplication.

It's fair to say I'm not from aristocratic stock.

Comment

Working...
                          X