No announcement yet.

Physical Symptoms of Ageing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pah, it's all been skin, flab and knee joints so far.

What about sexual performance, uncontrollable flatulence and thick hairs that suddenly start growing out of your nose or ears, eh? And more to the point, are they all connected?

Comment

I'm having trouble with the idea that I will be 60 this year.

Comment

I think that I get there first and will tell you what it is like.

I've come to accept it as a major upgrade on the alternative, given that I am 59.

Comment

I kinda thought I would feel different, you know, mentally? I still feel like a twenty-something most of the time.

Comment

The men in our family are supposed to die in their 50s.

My dad was shocked when he didn't, and that's when I started to change my mindset.

Comment

Since when did you ever do what you were expected to do?

Comment

Well, my actions were (and are) usually in accord with my expectations.

Excellent point nonetheless.

Comment

My fifties has been just the best decade of my life so far, and I’m only halfway through.

I am happy with my general health, I exercise 3 or 4 times a week, I eat pretty healthily, my weight is ok, no aches and pains, no medications.

But:

I just got referred for a cataract op on my right eye. Fortunately my left eye is ok for the moment.

My hearing has some foibles - tinnitus on my right side, plus I struggle (to put it mildly) to hear in “hubbub” environments, yet my overall hearing is far better than that of my (teacher) wife’s.

Sleep - some nights I will lie awake from 2am onwards. I’m not worrying. I’ve just seemingly had enough sleep.

I fart a lot. And I require 72 hours written notice ahead of any sexual activity.

Actually I said no aches and pains. That’s a lie. My hips hurt after a tough gym session, plus I injured my calf muscles in 2017 and even now they’re not right so I’m unable to do parkrun without worry/injury. But that’s self-inflicted, I suppose.

I too reckon swimming is the answer. I see loads of OAPs heading into the pool down the road from me every day. They’ve sussed it.

EDIT: I described my fifties as the best decade but didn’t explain my reasons. For me there’s a general sense of:
                  1) I’m a good proportion of my way through my working life
                  2) I’m with the right person
                  3) Our offspring cause us fewer concerns these days (plus our parents have died), so I feel a much greater degree of freedom. I can be spontaneous without needing the backup of a carer.
                  4) Money worries-wise it feels we are over the hump.
                  Last edited by HORN; 21-02-2019, 06:34.

Comment

Yeah. Seventy's been good so far. Better in some ways than any time in my life. There are irritations that come with increasing age though. One of the most annoying for me is increased clumsiness. I'm forever dropping things and failing to find a shelf where a shelf should be. Broken glasses and chipped china are the most obvious results. I'm not exactly sure what causes it. I suspect declining eye/hand coordination plus lack of sensitivity in my fingers are the main culprits. It's a nuisance, and a heads up that all faculties are becoming more vulnerable.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      thick hairs that suddenly start growing out of your nose or ears, eh?
                      Yep, already trimming nasal hair at least twice a week. Fat lot of good it seems to be doing though; still feels like I've got a permanently blocked nose.

Comment

56 next month. Varifocals. Which are fucking expensive.
                        Tinnitus, which gets acute after popular music concerts.
                        Arthritic stiffness in backs of hands and knee pain, especially on the right but like MS said, if I don’t exercise (bike rides, exclusively) I get irritable and physically odd.
                        overweight due to beer and wine
                        sexual activity significantly reduced but partly due to separate beds (insomnia/sleep patterns and my snoring).
                        Biggest recent change is memory- last night’s post Cineclub drink with a group of students had us talking about Labour left v right conflicts and I couldn’t remember Chris Mullin’s surname; asides and anecdotes in class can lead to a dead end where I can’t come up with the title/actor/author.
                        Luckily these youngsters have googled it before it gets too awkward.
                        still got greying hair and not too much ear, nose etc to worry about

Comment

I comfort myself with the knowledge that I'm a much better teacher having started at age 45 than if I'd started at 25 (where I would probably have given up as it's too hard at that age).

Comment

Ditto (except I was 48)

Comment

Yeah, I was a frankly appalling TEFL hack from 22 to 28.

Comment

Someone assumed I was in my 50s today. It's kinda pathetic but it fair picked up my spirits.

Comment

I just called Matthew my boss "Brian". In front of the whole company...

Comment

I'm 37. In some ways I am in better health than I've ever been, because I have learnt the hard way that not looking after myself is not optional (it leads to being sectioned and stuck in a mental ward for four months). So, I never drink more than one unit a day and rarely more than one unit a week, I don't smoke, I try to eat healthily and go to slimming world once a week (I'm a healthy BMI again after losing 2.5-3 stone which I put on due to medications), I go to sleep between 9 and 10pm every night and wake between 6 & 7 am (a huge adjustment as I was previously a night owl who slept from 3-10am most days and if I had to get up early I caught up at the weekend).

I exercise 3-4 times a week. I try to do one intensive class (body combat: boxing and kickboxing, or body pump: weightlifting), one dance class (Zumba or clubbercise), one stretchy class (yoga or pilates), and one swim session (while my son is having his swimming lesson). Sometimes I mix it up with a spin class or a general session on the gym machines or using the turbo on the bike at home. I walk 25-35 miles a week.

I take more medication than is ideal. A mood stabiliser for bipolar, replacement thyroxine because my thyroid stopped working, multi-vitamins and zinc, liquid iron sachets. At least I got off the anti-psychotics and the anti-depressants. They were brutal.

I've had my gall bladder removed. My left shoulder is in desperate need of some physio (I can't lift my arm straight above my head without extreme pain). I can only wear one brand of trainers as otherwise my hip or my knee will give way at some point in the week. If I have to dress smartly I have one pair of comfortable knee-high boots that I can get away with wearing for a day or two, but no longer.

My hair is greying at the temples but not enough to bother dying it. I've never dyed my hair in my life so I don't know if I will even if I go more grey.

Comment

By example of being in best health, I am now capable of and voluntarily do burpees and running man, and I can still lift my 15kg son above my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                        By example of being in best health, I am now capable of and voluntarily do burpees and running man, and I can still lift my 15kg son above my head.
                                        I had to look up "burpees". Unsurprisingly, I thought it had something to do with eructation.

I can lift a full crate of wheat beer with one hand above my head, keeping it level, while kneeling down with a screwdriver in my other hand. I know this because I did it at work the other day. Christ knows why, but I did, without thinking.

Comment

How much does a crate of wheat beer weigh? Balancing it with one hand is pretty impressive in any case. I can "fireman's lift" La Signora from the floor, and throw her electric wheel chair (55lbs with batteries[) in the back of the car with no problem. They're kind of the baseline of what I need to be able to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                            How much does a crate of wheat beer weigh?
                                            Ten kilogrammes of beer, plus the bottles and crate, i.e. not all that much.

Comment

Not numerically p'raps, but awkward physically I imagine

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                Not numerically p'raps, but awkward physically I imagine
                                                Indeed. As I said, I was on my knees. And I had a screw in my mouth.

Comment

An unwelcome glimpse into the Hamburg swinging scene, there.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                    Indeed. As I said, I was on my knees. And I had a screw in my mouth.
                                                    Everyone deals with prison differently.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X