Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical Symptoms of Ageing

Perhaps an OTF list? I am 52 but already have:

Daily minor but annoying pain down both sides, namely an ache in each hip and a more piercing pain in the left muscle behind my left knee if I lift anything heavy.

Hearing not the best. Sometimes tricky when having a discussion in a large classroom, but not disabling.

Sleep apnoea. On a CPAP for 12 years.

A nap has gone from being useful to absolutely critical. If I am unable to grab a nap somewhere when I am out of the house, I panic. It doesn't need to be longer than half an hour, though; I'm not talking about 3-4 hours in my own bed, unless I am totally exhausted.

It's harder that my spouse, despite being 4 years older than me, has none of these things and has had to learn, through her undying love and patience, that I'm not just playing for sympathy with these things.

And my dad is 70 and fit as a fiddle, at least to appearances.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-02-2019, 12:00.

Sleep Apnoea may have something to do with the tiredness and needing an afternoon nap, if you are overweight, losing some weight will help. Have you been checked for Diabetes?

Comment

Yes, it's connected to Type 2 diabetes. I am on a diet and take Metformin. Not as rigorous as I should be with it (ought to check blood sugar daily but usually skip).

Comment

I have some aches first thing in the morning, apart from that I'm still working ok, I've started picking up some annoying regular injuries when I'm out running, I'm actually sleeping less not more, I reckon by the time I'm 70 I'll be one of those pensioners who takes the dog for a walk at 5.30 in the morning, I've been wearing hearing aids for the past 5 years but that's genetic, I should have had them for years, I'd certainly advise getting your hearing checked (most suppliers will do it for free) but be warned, they are spectacularly expensive.

Comment

Both shoulders hurt first thing.

Left knee dodgy.

Hairline suddenly looking a bit further back, and a definite Reed Richards happening.

Middle age spread now noticeable.

Realisation that I am now statistically closer to my death than my birth.

Comment

General morning aches and pains which go away. Usually upper back due to shit posture / slouchiness. Tiny but noticeable pot belly, which I really notice because I'm quite thin. Hearing fading slightly, but that's typical of all my male ancestors. I'd probably have much more energy if I exercised more.

Oh, and I try to be witty and charming to check-out girls, which probably comes off as old-man-annoying and probably a bit creepy.

Comment

Don't worry In a year or two it'll just be grandad-ish. I just love it when a twenty-something woman, says "I like your hat, my Dad's got one just like it."

Comment

As referenced the other day amino acids taken a couple of times a day can really help with minor stiffness.

Big thing. Don't ever bend down from the waist. Practice sticking your bum out and doing a semi-squat. Makes a huge difference.

Comment

My left hip has been fairly rubbish since a football injury when I was 17. Said football injury was sustained after the match in the showers when we were celebrating a victory and jumping around. Slipped and fell straight on to the concrete floor with the bone of my naked hip striking the floor first. I was never the same player again. Could still play 90 minutes on a Sunday no problem, but that meant I would be limping Monday and Tuesday. Gave up the sport at 26. Still can only get on a bike from the right side.

In conclusion: Swimming is great. I recommend everyone to swim.

Comment

I hit 30 and fell apart. Current issues include:

- insomnia
                    - heartburn
                    - eyesight has not been good since I was about eight but my current prescription can't be 100% improved by glasses due to the amount of deviation. I can't have contact lenses or laser surgery either.
                    - eczema (current flare-up on forehead, scalp and behind my ears)

General aches and pains:
                    - left shoulder jarred badly a few weeks ago
                    - left hand
                    - right wrist and forearm (possibly early signs of carpal tunnel syndrome?)
                    - back
                    - left hip
                    - right hamstring
                    - both knees
                    - right calf and heel (to the point where I can barely walk some days)

I'll be amazed if I'm not a pile of dust by the time I'm 40.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                      by the time I'm 70 I'll be one of those pensioners who takes the dog for a walk at 5.30 in the morning
                      I should be so lucky. I started that about three years ago. Up around 5:30 - out trimming the hedges, washing the car, considering starting the lawn mower....

Comment

Aside from my hernia (aesthetically displeasing), I smoke now almost to the level of "annoying person who is in your company, never buys fags, but will bounce some from you", and as my company of "people who smoke" is limited to me, I am doing ok.

My teeth have grown back, and my grey hair has receded.

There is a noticeable knee-creak, my neck aches a little, but I suspect that is bad posture, and my feet are throbbing, generally, but that's called walking in the snow.
                        Oh, and I need secateurs to cut my toenails. (Satch, did you start this because of that?)

I hate to say it, but the only thing that needs changing in my health 'regime' is diet. (And stop walking to work in snow, might help.)

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                          eczema (current flare-up on forehead, scalp and behind my ears)
                          Apologies if this is incredibly obvious and you've already ruled that out, but it's not to do with the shampoo you're using is it?

I also get eczema and used to have some really sore patches on my scalp, arms and legs that were basically unshiftable for years, no matter how much hydrocortisone or E45 I slathered on. Since I started using shampoo and shower gel without sulfates (SLS/SLES) about a year ago, they've completely disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                            Big thing. Don't ever bend down from the waist. Practice sticking your bum out and doing a semi-squat. Makes a huge difference.
                            It would with me. I'd probably shit myself.

Comment

Nah. It only happens once and then you're fine. Trust me.

Comment

The "up early in the morning" thing can be a real game changer. It's probably the most significant difference in how I live day-to-day that's occurred since my son was born. I wrote most of my doctoral dissertation between six and eight in the morning. I watch the sunrise almost every day. It's effing amazing for the birdlife alone. Somehow I've tons of energy at dawn. Of course at the other end of the day I fall off a cliff, but that mainly just means nodding off in front of the TV. I'm trying to make a habit of afternoon naps, which I resisted for years 'cos they made me grumpy. But if we go out anywhere, like the theatre tonight, they're a necessity.

Comment

I've found that I'm now sleeping more than ever...

Comment

Unless we're out at a concert or theatre, we're usually in bed by 10:30 now. I'll still say 'we're in bed by 11 most nights', but that's barely true at all. We read in bed until maybe 10:50 and then it's game-over.

I sat down on the couch on Saturday at 2:00 to read a book and fell asleep until 5:15. Yeesh.

Comment

Constantly having to say 'say again'

Comment

(46)
                                        I think if I was to have my hearing tested I'd find that I needed some support, I always need things repeating and can't always blame it on a noisy work environment and the thick Yorkshire accent my colleagues have.
                                        Otherwise slight pain in the knees (take fish oil, need to upgrade to glucosamine?), and a painful elbow when lifting which I should get checked out.

Gave up drinking 10+ years ago, but still smoke to give myself something to worry about.

Comment

Constantly having to resort to singing, to get my point across?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                            Constantly having to resort to singing, to get my point across?
                                            LIke in The Singing Detective?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                              My teeth have grown back...
                                              Hang on a second, are you a shark?

Comment

46 and my eyes have gone to shit over the last couple of years. I can still read the bottom line at the opticians but anything small and close is just a blur now.
                                                ive had sleep apnoea for years on and off. When I’m heavy like now it’s on. Also because of my family history I now have statins and aspirin every day despite my arteries being fine (had an angiogram recently) and blood pressure pills for hypertension. Again because I’m heavy at the moment.
                                                Oh and there’s the hiatus hernia and oversized lymph nodules in my aesophagus that turned out not to be cancer last summer.
                                                my knees have been fucked since I was a teenager so I’ve never been able to run anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                  Hang on a second, are you a shark?
                                                  A singing shark.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X