Chuka Can't: The IG Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuka Can't: The IG Thread

Double figures now: 7 Labour & 3 Tories.

Damn, just beaten to the thread...

Comment

The third thread now, probably best it's got it's own one. Nice title by the way GO.

Comment

It's 8 Labour, though. Since Joan criticism-of-mass-murder-is-anti-semitic Ryan jumped ship last night

Comment

As Berba has claimed Chuka as Irish, I can only ask, is this another Irish conspiracy to undermine the British government (as well as the backstop)?

Comment

Going to be lot more Labour too. But even so, could be a good destination for Tory Remainer support. There are at least as many of those as Labour Leavers.

Comment

Perhaps we should predict seats in a hypothetical GE? I would think very very few because there are no political heavyweights in the group and no real 'policy' core. Comparisons to the SDP are ludicrous when you compare contexts and leadership calibre.

Comment

They've got more Tories than the SDP did already. Lee didn't sound faraway either.

Comment

Joan Ryan's massive expenses cheat past is being under-played somewhat, unsurprisingly. I worked on a local paper in Enfield around the turn of the Millennium and no one there really had a good word to say about her. She also enjoyed plenty of canvassing support from Corbynites at the 2017 election (some of whom I know and who found her rude and charmless), so for her to say her vote at the last GE was down to her anti-Corbyn stance is just a massive liar. A risible politician. We're well rid

Comment

Does is change anything that the government plus DUP only totals 324 now? Or would Soubry et al still back the government in a confidence motion?

Edit: Ah I forgot about SF. They still have a practical majority don't they? 3 more tories would have to defect for it to be an issue.

Comment

(if this is the thread ...)

Has there been any useful, non-axe-grinding analysis of their electoral prospects? Presumably those prospects are nil, but I'd like more data than assumptions.

Many comparisons made in media with the failed SDP, but the Alliance hit 50% in the polls, and won 8 or so by-elections in its time. It was electorally plausible, albeit in brief bursts, never maintained. This lot don't appear half as appealing (I was gung ho for Woy and Shirley, but I don't know how many Chuka posters are on college walls).

Comment

On the bright side, for the first time in 45 years since she moved to the house that she still lives in, my mum does not have a tory MP. This will please her greatly, even if it annoys many of her neighbours

Comment

I find it a little odd that Conservatives, albeit ones on the left of the party and strongly in favour of a second EU referendum, should join a group that was set up by Labour people essentially unhappy with their former party's positioning on a second referendum, internal procedures re. anti-Semitism and the party's economic and foreign policies. The referendum issue binds them but little else, unless the EU debate has made them reconsider a wider range of their political positions.

Comment

I think in a PR system these people would get a lot of votes. There are a lot of people who think of themselves as in the centre. Under FPTP, with no infrastructure or volunteers? They're buggered. So much so, that I don't think they can be planning on going into an election as an independent group.

Comment

Risible chancers though most of them are, perhaps we should welcome this realignment. It is at least a more honest reflection of where parliamentarians are, if not – necessarily – the public. Might force electoral reform onto the table too, and make the internal wranglings of the Labour party less stressful

Comment

What could Labour offer the IG to get them to support a confidence motion? An electoral non-aggression pact? Seems unlikely for partisan reasons but would get the Tories out.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                  Risible chancers though most of them are, perhaps we should welcome this realignment. It is at least a more honest reflection of where parliamentarians are, if not – necessarily – the public. Might force electoral reform onto the table too, and make the internal wranglings of the Labour party less stressful
                                  Pretty much my thoughts. Anything that underlines the fact that the two main parties have long been coalitions in reality and brings electoral reform back in to discussion after Clegg fucked it up would be good.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-02-2019, 12:17.

Comment

Absolutely, a PR system would have seen both Tories and Labour splinter a while ago...

I thinks what is taking place is a good thing, the more I hear the word "traitor" shouted by ultras from both parties, the more I think so...

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      I find it a little odd that Conservatives, albeit ones on the left of the party and strongly in favour of a second EU referendum, should join a group that was set up by Labour people essentially unhappy with their former party's positioning on a second referendum, internal procedures re. anti-Semitism and the party's economic and foreign policies. The referendum issue binds them but little else, unless the EU debate has made them reconsider a wider range of their political positions.
                                      The three (ex-Conservative) MPs said they will support the government on areas such as the economy, security and improvements to public services, but they felt "honour bound to put our constituents' and country's interests first" over Brexit.
                                      Hmmmmm, rather backs up my point.

Comment

Allen, who was elected in 2015, recently embarked on an “anti-poverty tour” around Britain with the former Labour MP Frank Field.
                                        As E10 reminds us, she previously demonstrated just how anti-poverty she is by claiming £170k in expenses in a single year, including flipping her second home, which she needed to be close to parliament rather than commute from her remote Enfield constituency.
                                        She's made multiple attempts to erase this shady history from Wikipedia.

And the way her fucking eyes light up when Shai tells her about the £1m bribe.... tch

Meanwhile Angela Smith employs her husband as an assistant for £40k a year, as her election fell just outside the rules forbidding this type of blatant fiddling.

Comment

That quoted text is about Heidi Allen, not Joan Ryan, jwdd.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

As E10 reminds us, she previously demonstrated just how anti-poverty she is by claiming £170k in expenses in a single year, including flipping her second home, which she needed to be close to parliament rather than commute from her remote Enfield constituency.
                                            She's made multiple attempts to erase this shady history from Wikipedia.

And the way her fucking eyes light up when Shai tells her about the £1m bribe.... tch

Meanwhile Angela Smith employs her husband as an assistant for £40k a year, as her election fell just outside the rules forbidding this type of blatant fiddling.
                                            Joan Ryan's the expenses one. You're quoting Heidi Allen.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post

Absolutely, a PR system would have seen both Tories and Labour splinter a while ago...

I thinks what is taking place is a good thing, the more I hear the word "traitor" shouted by ultras from both parties, the more I think so...
                                              ^ This (and the comment it was quoting). Supporting these chancers and supporting a re-alignment are very different things. The current system will take a lot of unraveling of course, and it's only going to come to something if both sides crack (and it'll take a lot more than a handful from each side), otherwise whichever side cracks most will put the others in for a generation. But ultimately a genuine multi-party system will be a lot more honest than perpetuating the twin broad churches myth that has got us to this point.

Comment

The one good consequence in terms of Brexit is that it presumably takes No Deal off the table, unless May is really prepared to see around 20 Tory Remainers walk out.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

The one good consequence in terms of Brexit is that it presumably takes No Deal off the table, unless May is really prepared to see around 20 Tory Remainers walk out.
                                                  How does it take no deal off the table? No deal is (still) the default outcome if all else fails. We know that a majority of MPs oppose no deal, but I don't see how this changes that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X