X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck me, their new video. "Hi Guys! We've got some exciting news for you!"

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
      Fuck me, their new video. "Hi Guys! We've got some exciting news for you!"
      You make them sound like QVC sales staff

Comment

Have you seen it? They are those people.

Comment

The latest from the CHUK parish newsletter - https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...school-funding

On grammar schools, she says: “I personally find [them] difficult to justify.” But rather like former education secretary Ed Balls, she is in favour of local communities deciding for themselves whether to have selective schools. “What we’re very interested in doing is devolving decision-making to local areas,” she says. It sounds like the status quo.

[..]

On Labour’s pledge to raise school funding, she says: “Of course we all agree that there should be an increase in funding for education, but what that increase should look like, where that increase should be invested, is less clear to me.”

[..]

Her time as a social worker has affected her deeply. “I’s a very, very, very, very hard job ... completely heartbreaking.” Memories of seeing children who feel scared in their own home provide her with “a constant reminder of what life can be like if you’re a small child in that situation”. That’s why, she says, “I am very passionate about the extra safeguarding and support the schools are giving to children – and the need for them to be properly funded for it.”

So funding is important? “Clearly, the current funding formula is not working. Schools aren’t getting sufficient funding for what we’re asking them to do, plus the government is saying they’ve got more money than they used to have. Which may be right – but it doesn’t recognise the extra roles that schools are having to take on.”

Before the Independent Group spent any money on education, however, there would be clarity about what it was seeking to achieve. “I would not want change for change’s sake, but changes that will genuinely achieve the objective of giving opportunity to every child, and made on the basis of evidence of what will work and what won’t.”

It seems ironic, considering her group’s preferred new name, that Coffey is so cautious about change.

Comment

Now an actual party, whose newly-acquired MEPs currently sit with both Fine Gael and Fidesz.

Comment

http://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1118200314660835330

Comment

Hahaha. Those cranks and wanks will be lucky to get more than 3000 votes. Dawkins makes me wish I was religious, and Muslim.

There's fuck all in that article to suggest Tory fear comes from the Racist Tinge Sensible threat.
                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-04-2019, 18:35.

Comment

The Tories, who are still reckoning publically that we'll be out before polling day, are apparently making prospective Euro candidates sign something to the effect that they will resign their seats as MEPs if they subsequently defect from the Tories to the TIGs, UKIP or the Farages (or any other party, presumably). I'm not even sure how that works in practice, but that's the report.

Comment

Interesting question as to whether such an agreement would be legally enforceable.

It would, however, likely be of some use in a future expulsion or deselection action.

Comment

but once you're in parliament you can't be deselected.

Comment

I cannot imagine how that could be enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                          Now an actual party, whose newly-acquired MEPs currently sit with both Fine Gael and Fidesz.
                          Where did they get MEPs? I missed that.

Comment

Tory MEP's

Comment

Nef, is there a European Parliament rule against deselection? I didn't realise that.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                Where did they get MEPs? I missed that.
                                You won’t know them. They go to a different school.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                  No logo though.

[URL]https://twitter.com/rosschawkins/status/1118093561558335493[/URL]

Comment

Dawkins is, precisely, the sort of pompous politically ignorant bell-end that would be taken in by the Funny Tinge Party's schtick. I half-expect Ian McEwen, Martin Amis and their ilk to follow suit

Comment

I'm still waiting to see the gaping policy differences between the Chuckies and the Liberal Democrats.

Comment

The Tories, who are still reckoning publically that we'll be out before polling day, are apparently making prospective Euro candidates sign something to the effect that they will resign their seats as MEPs if they subsequently defect from the Tories to the TIGs, UKIP or the Farages (or any other party, presumably). I'm not even sure how that works in practice, but that's the report.
                                        What does it really matter if they defect from the party? It's not like the parties have any real status in the EP. There's no effective party whip. It would matter more if they defected from an EP group.

Comment

I think the Lib Dems might be slightly more environmentally friendly than the Tiggers.

Comment

Heh.

One of the few areas where the LDs in coalition do appear to have had some effect was on environmental policy. The Tiggers don't appear to have a policy.

Comment

No, I thought it was funny, that was what my heh was intended to convey.

Comment

I need one of those "how to talk to my centrist brother-in-law" type articles. I had lunch with a friend yesterday who's in all these anti-Corbyn secret FB groups, is online mates with Burchill and that woman who "joked" about assassinating Corbyn etc. She's quite taken with Change. It's a struggle for me, she has no problem slagging off Corbyn, but I don't go there on Change as it's pointless and where do you start, really. Joan Ryan should be in jail IMO. (I feel disrespected, too, on a personal level, as I doubt she knows anyone who's studied politics or been involved as deeply as I have, I'm the one she calls on when she needs help, but she's taking their views over mine.) I came away almost tearful, and afraid for Corbyn.

Anyway, she reeled off the areas where Change are going to be forming policies: EU Remain and Reform, health, education, climate change, and UBI. The last mentioned as though it were a new idea of theirs.

I just about managed to say with a laugh "oh, how original, no-one's ever thought of those things before". FFS, she's seen and heard me talk about UBI and climate change for over a fucking decade, does she think Labour people haven't heard about them?

Sorry, the personal angle belongs more on the Mundane Thread.

Comment

The Chukas will back May in a vote of confidence. Even the LibDems wouldn't do that these days

https://twitter.com/suey2y/status/1120228812137037824

Comment

Jeeezus.

MsD, that is disappointing and unfortunate. Is there a particular aspect of "Corbynism" that set her off?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X