Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    As I've mentioned more than once before, I used to collect newspaper cartoon collections: stuff like If, Alex, Doonesbury, Bloom County, Dilbert, The Perishers etc. I seem to have stopped doing that.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Can for me.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    This thread gives me a Beautiful South earworm.

Leave a comment:

• Furtho
    replied
    I loosely speaking collect church guidebooks, in part because I’m interested in church architecture and in part as examples of independent local publishing. I’m not especially interested in the guidebooks of churches I haven’t visited and if a particular example was too expensive (say, a fiver) or I disapproved of it on aesthetic grounds (almost certainly that it was deemed to be “too glossy”), I’d happily not buy it. So hardcore I ain’t. Not sure how many I’ve got - eighty or so, I should think.

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    I collect football programmes but only from matches I've been to. I'm currently looking for four which I wasn't able to obtain on the day of the game, down from about ten, but not with the obsession of a couple of real collectors I know. Also, maps, and in particular one-inch Ordnance Survey. I'm a regular in charity and secondhand book shops. But not obsessive: I've not bought a map online, yet.
    Last edited by Capybara; 12-02-2019, 11:36.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Ah ha, ah ha. No.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I don't have any camo clothing or footwear.
    Doesn't it get a little chilly walking around barefoot at this time of year?

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Thankfully I don't go out of my way to collect anything, cos I'm terrible at throwing anything away. So I've got stacks of programmes from events I've been to (mostly football and rallying but other sports too), various motorsport magazines going back to the mid-70s, WSC of course, fanzines, tens of thousands of photos that I'll never get round to digitising, books, maps, cds, videos, dvds, broken camera equipment... Mrs TrL keeps threatening a bonfire if I don't keep it under control.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I don't have any camo clothing or footwear.

I have a large collection of Action Force figures and vehicles. Not the later GI Joe stuff. If you remember Action Force you're of a certain vintage. It's all packed away though.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    I think I've bored you on here before about my collection of McCormack annuals (think Wisden for golf). I very well may be one of about three people in the world to have a full collection of all 52 editions. Even the British Library doesn't, as many weren't published in the UK. Last year when I wrote to IMG for a copy of the latest edition their publishing Department asked me for a photo of my collection as even they don't have one.

They're a good example of one of those collections where each individual item only has a nominal face value - Probably £5-20 per edition depending on relative scarcity - but as a much rarer full collection are many times the sum of that.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 11-02-2019, 09:16.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    I've got a stupid amount of Tintin stuff and New Order/Factory/Peter Saville ephemera. I'm actively trying not to add to my holdings. Badges are hard to resist. I'm not very good at throwing old concert, theatre and sporting tickets away but they are a by product of attending the events themselves. I wouldn't buy a ticket for an event that I hadn't been to.

Then there are the more fleeting enthusiasms where sanity prevails while the collection is still vaguely manageable; Billy Childish prints and those aluminium Hoselton sculptures that used to be popular delegate gifts at conferences are examples here.

I have two items of camo clothing, a waterproof smock and a BDU type shirt. There's no call for it below the waist, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied
    Actual tat. I have a collection of ceramic figurines that I have acquired over the years. A few of them were previously owned by my late grandmothers. I have a couple that were made in Occupied Japan, but their value to me is purely sentimental.

Leave a comment:

• JVL
    replied
    Until about a year ago, I had a large collection of football tickets, programmes, fanzines and magazines - mostly Hayes matches from the mid-80s onwards, but quite a lot of other stuff too. Once we started sorting and packing to move to Canada, it was clear that there was no way all those boxes were coming too, so had to have a major clearout. Got rid of a load of tickets on eBay and managed to sell or pass on a few relatively sought-after programmes to collectors, but most of it ended up in the paper bin at the tip in Westheim. I couldn't even give it away to football club shops or dealers - and I haven't missed it since. As has been pointed out above, it really was just cluttering up the place and I hadn't even looked at the boxes for years. All I have kept is one lever arch file with 'specials': World Cup tickets and programmes, signed issues, and mementoes that have some sort of personal significance.

I also collected Amstrad CPC stuff - got a CPC464 when I was a kid and couldn't part with it. Added a couple of 6128s and all sorts of peripherals over the years, as well as games, magazines, the works. Had a great day plugging it all back in and introducing VL jnr. to the joys of Arkanoid and Emlyn Hughes International Soccer, before taking photos of everything and getting a pleasantly surprising amount of cash for it all from dealers and collectors (it helped that my nerd tendencies had ensured that I kept everything, dust covers, original shipping boxes for the computers, the lot). Again, it was just gathering dust though, and certainly wasn't worth paying for space in the container to ship it over.

Am now collecting vicariously via the boy's Lego collection though - love building the stuff with him and then seeing his he dismantles it all to build a gigantic elephant laser, or whatever he thinks it is. Boxes and instruction manuals are being stored in the cellar, of course...

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Camo sneakers are almost as bad as camo sports shirts.

Hobbes is basically right about collecting stuff for the sake of just having it. Completism is super weird to me, too.

The closest I have to a collection of anything is atlases, which I refuse to ever thrown out. But that's because they're generally beautiful and tell you all sorts of stories and each one is different and tells a different story, depending on its age and where it was published and who the target audience is.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Nice Sunday diversion, shot to hell...

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    You started it.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    This thread's gone to shit, and I point an accusatory finger at all of you...except Bored.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Cosplaying compensators.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Yer just a bunch of wannabe survivalists

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    I love camo board / cargo shorts, but not shoes.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    I love camo trainers.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    That said, I draw the line at camouflage. Have a word.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    I've got a fair few pairs of trainers meself, and I reckon around 98% of them would annoy treibeis in some way.

I'm aiming to get the figure to a nice round 100% at some point in the future.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    My whole life is a sporting activity.

Leave a comment:

• treibeis
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    Never understood the desire to collect. It's just tat clogging up the place, innit?
    hobbes is, once again, bang on the money.

Although the bit afterwards, about trainers, is wrong. Training shoes should be worn by adults for sporting activities only.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X