Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a lot of good work for charidee......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a lot of good work for charidee......

......doesn't like to talk about it (but will, this once).

So. It turns out that I've managed to get involved in some charity fundraising in aid of the truly wonderful Haven House Children's Hospice. You can find out more about the amazing work they do and the services they provide here:

https://www.havenhouse.org.uk/

I've volunteered to abseil down the ArcelorMittal Orbit. My goal is £250 however this isn't set in stone - I'd be more than happy to smash all the way through that! You can see what the challenge involves here:

https://www.havenhouse.org.uk/Event/orbit-abseil-2019

If you'd like to donate, or if you'd just like to see the photo of me looking completely comfortable - and let's face it, deeply seductive - in Toronto's Royal Ontario Museum, then PM me for the link - I won't publicise it here for reasons which should really be obvious. Anything you can spare would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

Bump...good cause, this. Congrats.

Comment

Good on you Tobes.

Comment

Thanks, Sits!

Comment

Yes, hats off to Toby Gymshorts.

Although:
          I went abseiling once, in some godforsaken hamlet in Somerset where there were more tractors than people and nobody could conjugate the verb "to be" correctly. Although I'm not particularly clumsy, I managed to get something jammed somewhere it shouldn't have been during my descent, and ended up having to scramble back up the rock face, with some beardy fucking abseiling instructor repeatedly barking ""Come on, boy, you can do it!" with unsettling adverbs like "perhaps", "probably" and "undoubtedly" tagged on the end.

Now, I don't wish to be a prophet of doom, but you have previous when it comes to accidentally kicking yourself in the shins, giving yourself a Chinese burn, punching yourself in the face or whatever.

And I've now got this terrible, terrible eyeworm of you suddenly tipping upside-down, your helmet falling off and you then dangling head-first over London, with only the laces of your Toby Gymshorts' Red Shoes, which have got miraculously tangled up in a snap hook, preventing you from plunging to certain death.

Comment

I won't lie, that's exactly how I pictured it. I figured I could get some danger / sympathy money out of it, like.

Comment

I abseiled off a 200 foot hotel in Marble Arch once. If you are going to abseil, don't let anyone film you. Trouser hems half way up your shins and assorted harness webbing disappearing into your jacksy crack is not a great look from below.

Comment

It's more the gradually spreading stains I'm worried about.

Luckily I'm good with heights, being one of those types who likes to walk to the edge of things and peer over, just to see how high up we are. You know, idiots.

Comment

If you've never done it before, please don't worry. It's not like the movies where some guy/gal continually boings off the side of a skyscraper. Think of it more as vertical walking. The only awkward bit is getting over the edge, and once that's done, AND YOU DON"T EVER LOOK DOWN*, you'll be fine.

*not necessarily true, your experience may vary

Comment

You're over halfway 'down', Tobes. Come on everyone...5 quid apiece will get his fuzzy pink trainers firmly back on the ground.

Comment

If I get to the £250 mark from OTF posters I promise to wear the pink trainers and post proof.

Comment

Yeah, but will you wear them on your hands?

Comment

Good luck, Toby. A couple of my friends did it last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

And should you begin to doubt the wisdom of your decision, don't forget that we're all just genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortune hunt that's far too fleet.

Comment

Oh, you're GOOD.

Give me money.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                              Yeah, but will you wear them on your hands?
                              Sponsor me and find out!

(No)

Comment

Quick bump of this. As of 9.56 this morning I'm at £198 of my £250 base target. I realise I'm effectively begging but I am hurling myself off a building for a very good cause...

EDIT: Also, huge thanks to those of you who have already donated. I really, really appreciate it.
                                Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 11-02-2019, 11:26.

Comment

A bump after reaching £208 earlier today. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated by both me and my chosen charity. Thank you.

Comment

Now that I’ve scrolled up to check it’s not for the insignificant 7/hateful 8 I will pledge a tenner once I’m out of the bath

Comment

What sort of philthy sexual metaphor is that? Or are you actually in the bath?

Comment

That’s what you take from that post? That he’s naked?

Comment

It's a North American thing.

Comment

We have a whole other language up here. You never know what you're saying to us .

Comment

One final bump of this thread, ahead of what I very much hope does not end with a final bump on Saturday morning.

Currently sitting at £851 raised, £15 behind my irritating lovely colleague who is also jumping off a building.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Damn, son. You've knocked that one out of the park. £851? Nice work.

Comment

Thanks, WOM! <smileything>

Comment

Working...
                                                  X