Happy Black History Month.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Black History Month.

Yeah, so nothing about it on here, and 6th February. How woke I am!

Admittedly, the best I could do is re-read "The Color Purple". And it's ... unhelpful, because I can't get Whoopi Goldberg out of my head. Which, incidentally, is not a bad place to be.

Would you want some reading and watching material?

Comment

If anyone has any recommendations for life in Africa (especially West Africa) at the start of the Twentieth Century I'd be very interested. Not a history of the scramble, or some Out of Africa white man's burden shit, but a history of what it was actually like to live there at the time.

Comment

James Budgett-Meakin’s books are interesting and informative, although written by a white man. So I wouldn’t discount them altogether.

Comment

He does sound a fascinating chap. I would happily welcome any recommendations as to any aspect of Black History, not just West Africa circa WW1. I've just finished Norman Davies' Forgotten Kingdoms and am now reading Danubia, and am feeling like I need a corrective to Mitteleuropa.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
            Would you want some reading and watching material?
            Absolutely.

Comment

The Library of the Tactical Genius

When we ruled by Robin Walker is a very good read although pretty long. (He has presentations on Youtube)

The Travels of Ibn Battutah
              Ibn Fadlan and the Land of Darkness: Arab Travellers in the Far North (interesting as he was an envoy and gave a contemporary account of the Vikings at the time
              The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality?
              PRECOLONIAL BLACK AFRICA: A Comparative Study of the Political and Social Systems of Europe and Black Africa, from Antiquity to the Formation of Moder
              both by CHEIKH ANTA DIOP
              The Rising Tide of Color by Stoddard, T Lothrop
              Message To The Blackman In America, Elijah Muhammed
              Malcolm X Autobiography
              MLK Autobiography
              Nelson Mandela Autobiography

Finally, two books that changed my life when i read them about 25 years ago.
              The Isis Yssis Papers: The Keys to the Colors Dr Frances Cress Welsing (you can hear her voice in the opening credits of the film baby boy)
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGKw_Y-QCHw

The United-Independent Compensatory Code/System/Concept Textbook: A Compensatory Counter-Racist Code by Neely Fuller Jnr

Films:
              7AM
              Gentrified
              Race War all by the Black Authority

Hidden Colours version 1-4
              1804 the Hidden History of the Haitian Revolution by Tariq Nasheed

youtube if you don't want to read history books:

Stuff from Robin Walker good source on African History pre European conquest (i can't list specific videos as im currently on a flight and my Internet is very Poor)
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-rVNBL85qU
              Dr John Henrik Clarke (He was the co-founder of the Organisation or African American unity alongside Malcolm X)
              Yosef_Ben-Jochannan one of the first Afro-Egyptology Scholars
              Cheikh anta diop (a francophone historian)
              Neely fuller does a weekly radio broadcast where he gives common sense answers on how to navigate in a system of White Supremacy.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDu04nNPOsM

Comment

Thank you.

Have ordered the Elijah Muhammad book from the library. Tried the Neely Fuller radio show, but the sound was awful, and generally had no idea what he was saying (the new 'sexuality'?), but I suspect more listenable stuff might be elsewhere. And I am absolutely knackered, so my concentration is Donald.
                Last edited by Gerontophile; 08-02-2019, 01:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                  Thank you.

Have ordered the Elijah Muhammad book from the library. Tried the Neely Fuller radio show, but the sound was awful, and generally had no idea what he was saying (the new 'sexuality'?), but I suspect more listenable stuff might be elsewhere. And I am absolutely knackered, so my concentration is Donald.
                  Yeah, I get the Neely fully show criticism. The audio is poor, the radio host is crap with poor phrasing of questions and Fuller is 90 years old in October this year.

Comment

Thanks TG, for the pisstake. (Elijah Muhammad book)

Comment

Stoddard, T Lothrop?

Comment

I dunno what that means Satch.

Well I am definitely not the target audience. The book is about a type of Islam that the author says is only for black men, and he bans white men from his mosque teachings. And me, so white, I am almost blue, and atheist since I was about 10.

That said, he is absolutely right about christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                          Thanks TG, for the pisstake. (Elijah Muhammad book)
                          Not sure what you mean. You asked for a list of books about black history month. Regardless of what you think of him, Elijah Muhammed is one of the most influential people of the 20th Century and was the mentor for amongst others Malcolm X, Muhammed Ali and Minister Farrakhan. His religious\ Political doctrine underpinned most of the late 80's early 90's Hip-Hop.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            Stoddard, T Lothrop?
                            I think it is a very good book. As is the Turner diaries and this https://archive.org/details/Ethnic_C...ns_-_FM_6-2003

Comment

That's fair. I am not commenting on the man, only the book. I know he is very highly regarded (as explained in a fairly lengthy foreword). However, I just couldn't get on with the god thing. But thanks anyway.

(And the 'pisstake' comment was teasing on my part.)

Comment

Working...
                              X