X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Originally posted by MsD View Post
    I’ve posted about this loads of times and have been arguing on Twitter for the last couple of days, so am a bit FGMed out.

It’s depressing now many people want to make it a Muslim thing. It’s also practiced by Christians and others, especially in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country.

Sure I’m preaching to the choir and that nobody is going to call me an ‘FGM apologist’ on here these days, but it’s a cultural rather than religious thing and the best way to stop it is to raise awareness and help women to empower themselves.

Anyway, the prosecution seems like good news.
    All good points. It seems doubly sad that you have had to be arguing anything with regard FGM and certainly being called an 'apologist'

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Being brutally honest I'm with Richard Dawkins on "It's a cultural thing".

It's child abuse caused by ignorance and superstition.

Empowering women is no use if they've already been cut as powerless children.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    I’ve posted about this loads of times and have been arguing on Twitter for the last couple of days, so am a bit FGMed out.

It’s depressing now many people want to make it a Muslim thing. It’s also practiced by Christians and others, especially in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country.

Sure I’m preaching to the choir and that nobody is going to call me an ‘FGM apologist’ on here these days, but it’s a cultural rather than religious thing and the best way to stop it is to raise awareness and help women to empower themselves.

Anyway, the prosecution seems like good news.

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    started a topic FGM conviction.

FGM conviction.

I know we have touched on this (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47094707)* several times in the past but there were a couple of points about this that may be worth discussing. Firstly, it seemed initially, to me anyway, surprising that the mother has been convicted but the father wasn't until I remembered that, in child protection training I have had, it was discussed that mothers, aunts and grandmothers were likely to be instrumental in organising FGM than fathers etc. Not to say that it isn't condoned or even instructed by the fathers, just that it seems to be the female relatives that actually carry it out. There has been mention that the person who actually did the FGM hasn't been found and convicted but, again from training, most FGM takes place abroad so perhaps this is the case here. I am sure we have mentioned before that FGM became illegal in 1985 and this is the first conviction and only three other trials in that time.

*How do we do a link within a piece of text now instead of having to have the full url?
Working...
X