Jetzt bin ich ein Bayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    Riesling is the king of grapes. Anyone who says otherwise is a maniac.
    Maybe it/they is/are. Then eat the fucking things. Don't make wine out of it/them.

Comment

Your tastebuds have clearly been destroyed by you trying too hard to assimilate to your new Northern German identity and eating nothing but pickled herrings. Sure, there is riesling that's utter swill, but riesling makes the best, most interesting, most varied wines. Not enough people in the New World have learned to make a dry riesling, which makes me very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
        Good Riesling from the Pfalz or Rheingau is fantastic..
        Exactly. There are several beautiful Sundays in autumn when, instead of chasing 22 psychos around a field with a whistle, I should be out in the Rheingau swilling Riesling and Spätburgunder around my gums. I'm hoping that one day I come to my senses.

Comment

Now, has the AdF been around to you yet to complain about being bloody immigrants?

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
            Now, has the AdF been around to you yet to complain about being bloody immigrants?
            No, but they were complaining about German emigrants getting their name wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

Exactly. There are several beautiful Sundays in autumn when, instead of chasing 22 psychos around a field with a whistle, I should be out in the Rheingau swilling Riesling and Spätburgunder around my gums. I'm hoping that one day I come to my senses.
              Have you considered multitasking? An S Bahn trip after the game? Or a glass or two before, or even during the match?

Comment

Congratulations, it must be a weight of your kind getting this sorted treibeis.

Comment

Do you have to surrender your old UK passport?

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                    Congratulations, it must be a weight of your kind getting this sorted treibeis.
                    Thanks (to you and everybody else) for the kind words.

Yes, it was quite a relief. The extension of the hut's contract may have depended on it. The council more or less said that they don't want non-EU citizens running their gaffs as "there's too much paperwork involved".

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post

Yes, it was quite a relief. The extension of the hut's contract may have depended on it. The council more or less said that they don't want non-EU citizens running their gaffs as "there's too much paperwork involved".
                      Yet another consequence of bloody Brexit, I may need to become a foreigner myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Have you considered multitasking? An S Bahn trip after the game? Or a glass or two before, or even during the match?
                        Now I'm being assigned out of town, it's a possibility. Have never touched a drop before or during a game, but my ultimate ambition is to go out in style by getting assigned to a game featuring my least favourite clubs in town, and to show up stoned like it's 1969.

Comment

British applications for German citizenship increase twelvefold in two years.

Comment

I picked up my ID card and passport this morning.

The Germans, eh? They make such a fuss on the forms about which tribe your parents-in-law belong to and when they got married and whatnot, but when it comes to important stuff, they believe any old shit.

When I applied, they asked me how tall I was. I said, "I don't know, about 1.90 m, I suppose." They wrote that down immediately, even though I was sat down at the time. Then "What colour eyes have you got?" My eyes are the same colour as a rancid rollmops but, as that's not an official colour, I said, "Green". There's no way my eyes are green.

But now, in my passport, it says I'm 1.90 m tall and have green eyes, and will do for the next ten years.

(It also says I was born in Bristol, although I was born in Somerset. They never checked that, either.)

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                              I picked up my ID card and passport this morning.
                              Good stuff. Willkommen im Verein.

That's three of us on the board now, right?

Comment

I’m also a German citizen.

Comment

Really?
                                  Last edited by Sporting; 15-12-2019, 13:31.

Comment

Bloody Germans taking over again.

Congratulation, Stumpy. When you discover what the point of white asparagus is, be sure to tell us.
                                    To return to this subject, I once had a conversation along the following lines:

"So why do Germans get excited about white asparagus, exactly?
                                    "Because it's only available at certain times of the year!
                                    "Yes, like influenza?"

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                      Good stuff. Willkommen im Verein.

That's three of us on the board now, right?
                                      You, imp, Alderman Barnes, Nef, me and probably others I'm unaware of.

Comment

Heh, German punctuality. A mere 13 months after being sworn in, I've been invited by Frankfurt mayor Peter Feldmann to attend a ceremony at the Paulskirche next month for an "Einbürgerungsfeier mit anschliessendem Umtrunk". I'm expecting a small glass of Sekt rather than an unlimited selection of draft beers from across the region. But I'm going anyway.

Comment

Just as some people in the armed forces get married in uniform, are you going to turn up in your refereeing clobber?

Comment

Jetzt bin ich Americanisch.

As of about 45 minutes ago.

Went for my interview with USCIS in Lawrence. They checked that I could speak English and answer questions like "Name a state that borders Mexico" and "How many years does a Senator serve". Then I told them that I'd never been a fascist and had never coerced under 15s to fight in a guerilla war and hadn't committed a federal crime. I passed and they told me that thanks to COVID regulations I could get to the naturalization ceremony today. So I went into the waiting room, told them that I hadn't committed a crime since the interview and still hadn't run a subversive paramilitary campaign (I guess that form remains in place despite having interview and ceremony on the same day). Went into the "Ceremony Room" (which sounds like something seriously dodgy from Mormonism) and stated the Oath of Allegiance where I abjured any and all foreign potentates, and I got a certificate of naturalization and a passport application.

And I get to vote!

Comment

That's a brave move under the current circumstances, though your other choice isn't without massive issues either.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Well, I now have two dodgy citizenships - which gives me more choice. No un-dodgy ones were available to me.

The thinking is that being a citizen allows me to vote, and it becomes a bit harder to kick me out should You-Know-Who win again.

Comment

The thinking is that being a citizen allows me to vote, and it becomes a bit harder to kick me out should You-Know-Who win again.

Yeh, he's an absolute stickler for rules and precedent.

Comment

It isn't watertight (because nothing ever is), but citizens have significantly more protection from deportation than non-citizens.

I would have taken Italian citizenship should we have decided to stay for not dissimilar reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X