• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please. Say it ain't so. Biafra

It appears Biafra is a "thing" again.

Ok.

I know it never really went away.

But is it all going to kick off into civil war and genocide again?

What's your source Del?

Comment

It is a serious question btw as I was going to ask my friends from the Biafra region to see if there was anything to it.

Comment

This is the only thing in Google news about biafra.

I must say, the sponsored section in the vanguard is a lot more theologically based than the equivalent "You'll never guess what this 60's tv star looks like now" you get at the bottom of Irish newspapers. "Is it a sin to get stronger erections, last 25 minutes in bed using this NAFDAC approved solution this easily?" Is this the Cathechism all those Irish priests and nuns were teaching out there?

Comment

The interesting thing about that person (who I have never heard of previously) is his links with the UK and Israel, Two countries heavily involved in the Biafran war of the late 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            "Is it a sin to get stronger erections, last 25 minutes in bed using this NAFDAC approved solution this easily?" Is this the Cathechism all those Irish priests and nuns were teaching out there?
            Hmmm, I don't know, i didn't get those articles.

Hmm, as for the brand of Christianity that was taught in Nigeria. Well practically all Ibo's are Christian Catholics so you have a Harry Kane-esque conversion rate there.
            The other Christian tribes are a mixture of Catholicism and Anglican churches.
            Both denominations teach an old 18th century type of Christianity that is indistinguishable from what was taught in Salem. The fear of witches, sexist and misogynistic, the usual nonsense.

To be fair, both have cleaned up their act in the last few decades, but alot of churches run by hustler preachers preaching the prosperity gospel are sticking to the old teachings to devastating effect.
            Quite sad really.

Comment

I got another one offering me a medicine that would cure diabetes. You know, the sort of thing that the Daily mail or the telegraph would be running as a front page story.

Comment

I was having a look at the Biafra page on wikipedia to try and see what the basics of the situation were, and I must admit that I wasn't hugely impressed by the list of countries providing support to the republic of Biafra. While not granting recognition, they were getting help from the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Israel and Rhodesia. Oh and the Holy ghost fathers. that's Strange enough company for Fr Aengus Finnucane to be keeping. Was it a result of oppression, or was it what looks suspiciously like a colonial inspired break away of a resource rich client state, like Katanga.

I was asking my dad about it, and he doesn't remember it too well, other than it was a helish nightmarish famine shitstorm. but he was wondering what happened to his friend from college, an Igbo from the south East called Pius Egbi. His strong suspicion was that he may not have survived. He would have been of a prime age for getting caught up in fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                  I got another one offering me a medicine that would cure diabetes. You know, the sort of thing that the Daily mail or the telegraph would be running as a front page story.
                  Dunno, there was a Central american herbalist who once claimed to he could cure HIV, cancer, diabetes and other illnesses.
                  The New york state took him to court for fraudulent claims.......... AND LOST.

Unsurprisingly, he died under mysterious circumstances.

Comment

Big pharma might be nasty, but it really isn't withholding a cure for HIV cancer or diabetes.

Comment

heh, I was more suggesting that in nigeria these hucksters are limited to ads, while the UK press print it as real news.

Is this the guy you were talking about? interesting client list.
                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 29-01-2019, 16:58.

Comment

That's the one.

Comment

I spoke to an Ibo (or Igbo) friend of mine who is closer to these things that I am.

In answer to the original post, civil war and genocide are highly unlikely. The guy you linked to Berba is considered a fraud who is using tribal strife for financial gain.
                          He apparently started off doing credit card fraud in London before starting radio Biafra.
                          His organisation has raised £7 million to date with no oversight with where the money went.

He went over to Nigeria to rabble rouse and the Nigerian government who take a very dim view of people who stoke inter-tribal tension came looking for him. He converted to Judaism and fled to Isreal.
                          he has a small hardcore following throughout the Diaspora (especially in the UK and US).

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                            That's the one.
                            I would fucking love to see a mini series about this lad. Fuck Ted Bundy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                              I spoke to an Ibo (or Igbo) friend of mine who is closer to these things that I am.

In answer to the original post, civil war and genocide are highly unlikely. The guy you linked to Berba is considered a fraud who is using tribal strife for financial gain.
                              He apparently started off doing credit card fraud in London before starting radio Biafra.
                              His organisation has raised £7 million to date with no oversight with where the money went.

He went over to Nigeria to rabble rouse and the Nigerian government who take a very dim view of people who stoke inter-tribal tension came looking for him. He converted to Judaism and fled to Isreal.
                              he has a small hardcore following throughout the Diaspora (especially in the UK and US).
                              I am shocked to hear that a putative independence leader may be on the make.

Was the original rebellion about anything in particular, or was it just primarily a reflection that back in the immediate post independence era, that Nigeria was basically lines drawn on a map randomly grouping together, and dividing ethnic groups, and hadn't quite settled down, or was it more an oil thing, or basically both at the same times.

Comment

Working...
                              X