London Bridge station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Bridge station

Came back home via London Bridge station this evening, transferring from Underground to Overground. I was just exiting the underground concourse when I saw a homeless guy; fished out a bit of change but before I could hand it to him he'd rocketed suddenly to his feet, gathered up his scant things and disappeared. Okay, shift over for the night, I thought. Turned the corner, saw a bloke sitting hunched in a prayerful position, hands clasped, over a woolly hat. Fumbling with my change I passed him by but then turned back, only to see that he had disappeared from his spot; just a paper bag in his place.

I think I can guess what had happened here. These guys have to have eyes in the backs and the sides of their heads, even as they're assuming the passive begging position. They would have seen London Transport's people having in to clear them out, perhaps worse and scarpered. Further down the concourse there's a machine in which you can register just how good your London Bridge "experience" was today. Doubtless they were hoping hygienic sweeps like the above would ensure a smiley-face yellow approval button. I slammed down the red frown facebooked disapproval button but sadly there's no facility available to explain why you disapproved; they could easily assume it was an automated gate malfunction.

Fuck you, London Bridge, and your mall-like "experience", with its Costa, Hamleys, WH Smiths and Paperchase and various other private, corporate concerns. Fuck you for trying to "cleanse" your concourses of the inevitable consequences of the way society is currently configured as a result of your priorities. And you know what? I came down this same route a couple of weeks ago and I saw several people handing out change to those in need of it. We're not all the selfish consumers you cynically calculate us to be. The other week I saw a couple of cops trying to move on some guy whose only crime was to be conspicuously homeless and slumped and "experience" diminishing and it was only having Dara with me that precluded me from intervening. Next time I promise I will. There's a cold snap coming and it's going to put both our heart and our heartlessness to the test.

It's a horrible place, I thought this might be about that.

I so rarely have coins on me. I should try harder to have.

Comment

Something strange was up yesterday. I got on a train to Sydenham quite early and sat on my arse playing on my phone for the fifteen minutes until the train departed. In that time, I'd say about four homeless people bolted through the carriages, not doing the usual rounds of asking for change, but as if they were getting the hell out of there.

Comment

All the London termini, and their immediate surroundings, have been given a fresh look the last few years. And, as a rail traveller, they seems much better for it. I’m not so keen on their forecourts and approaches becoming sanitised shopping malls, but it was inevitable that they’d copy the business model of airports once it became clear that’s where the money is to be made.

And the “security situation” means there’s more coppers and other hi-vis staff around. Mostly they’ve got nothing to do, so are more likely to pick on the harmless homeless & beggars, etc to pass the time. That sucks.

Comment

London Bridge is generally* a better experience than it was - signage, open plan-ness, free, decent toilets - which isn't saying much.

* not for homeless people, as wingco points out.

* the 'shops everywhere' is a depressing part of modern traffic hubbery. It reminds me of a lot of the central stations in Western Europe.

Comment

What is the legal basis for these sweeps? Are the stations now private property?

Comment

No, owned and run by Network Rail.

Comment

So what's the alleged offence?

Comment

Looking untidy, or similar.

Bear in mind that the Tories' "Hostile Environment" no longer just applies to the forrins, if it ever was just about them.

Comment

How has Boris Johnson avoided prosecution?

Comment

I'm pretty certain you know the answer to that one.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        So what's the alleged offence?
                        Under the Vagrancy Act, I think. Labour rightly want to repeal it.

Comment

There's likely to be railway byelaws as well.

What are people's objections to there being shops in railway stations? If I want to buy a sandwich and a coffee on my way to wherever it is I'm going, is that wrong?

Comment

My objection (I mean, I'm not saying they should be banned or anything) is that the shops are shit, overpriced chains, and therefore that the stations are as shit as just about every high street - a large corporate hellhole. I can avoid the high streets, but I have to use the train station. Not sure if the tea shop just outside the station up Tooley Street is still there, but more of that sort of thing please.

Comment

Is there some kind of middle ground I can occupy between "not actually a heartless bastard" and "don't see the appeal of homeless people sleeping/panhandling in tube stations"?

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                My objection (I mean, I'm not saying they should be banned or anything) is that the shops are shit, overpriced chains, and therefore that the stations are as shit as just about every high street - a large corporate hellhole. I can avoid the high streets, but I have to use the train station. Not sure if the tea shop just outside the station up Tooley Street is still there, but more of that sort of thing please.
                                Funnily enough, John, I saw this earlier today and wondered if it would interest you: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-46959155

Comment

Thanks NS: I came across this the other week - stuck in my mind because one of my teachers was called Doreen Fletcher too - and am going to try and see it. I remember the corner shop that she painted very well.

WOM, I'm not sure that the you seeing any 'appeal' is the point. If I were homeless, I'd go to where the most people were walking by. If the police want to remove 'eyesores' in the station, they could close down fucking Upper Crust, for a start.

Comment

I quite like those paintings.

Comment

Yes, me too

Comment

They're terrific, IMO. They seem to fall somewhere between Lowry and Hockney (sans the human interest, obviously).

Regarding the problem itself (ie, 'being homeless at all', as opposed to 'being seen as a homeless inconvenience'), perhaps - as with the majority of social issues in this country - if the powers that be made a greater effort to deal with the cause of such problems, then law-enforcers wouldn't need to be wasting their time and our money pursuing and flushing people out on an hourly basis.

Comment

I haven't been in London Bridge in half a decade, but it was always the worst station - it felt like the idea was to make it impossible to understand for anyone who wasn't a regular commuter. It was an inside joke to trap and confuse the irregulars.

Although I find the concourses at modern termini full of Paperchases and Accessorises to be soulless, I'm happy to trade that for having something to distract me if I have to wait an hour for my delayed train, and to be able to get an acceptable espresso and a West Cornwall pasty or a decent sandwich where in the past it was just tea and a microwaved Findus french bread pizza or a Burker King whopper.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                            They're terrific, IMO. They seem to fall somewhere between Lowry and Hockney (sans the human interest, obviously).

Regarding the problem itself (ie, 'being homeless at all', as opposed to 'being seen as a homeless inconvenience'), perhaps - as with the majority of social issues in this country - if the powers that be made a greater effort to deal with the cause of such problems, then law-enforcers wouldn't need to be wasting their time and our money pursuing and flushing people out on an hourly basis.
                                            I'm strongly getting Edward Hopper in a couple of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post

Under the Vagrancy Act, I think. Labour rightly want to repeal it.
                                              The Vagrancy Act isn't actually used that often, in part because enforcing Victorian legislation is often seen as Not A Good Look. I think the CPS tried to prosecute some people in 2014 but it fell through after an outcry?

What's more common is the use of Public Space Protection Orders, which, unlike the Vagrancy Act, is a shiny modern weapon in the fight to criminalise poverty. These allow councils to effectively criminalise a wide variety of """undesirable""" behaviour from begging, to public drinking, to rough sleeping, to soliciting for work, to engaging in activities related to prostitution, to being a traveller.

in rare instances, they've also been used to prevent protesters from harassing users of abortion clinics, but in general they're used against vulnerable people.

https://www.travellerstimes.org.uk/f...tection-orders
                                              http://www.yellowad.co.uk/article.cf...earchyear=2018
                                              https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.u...help-residents
                                              https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7859246.html

Until last week, when the human rights group Liberty won the right to claim legal aid for PSPO challenges, these are very difficult to challenge, partly because unlike laws, you tend to only be able to challenge the specific order and principle which means fighting them is like fighting a hydra.

The other neat thing about PSPOs is it outlaws the fight to criminalise poverty to local councils - which, in the biggest cities - are labour run. I don't know if the Labour Party has a policy nationally on them - a quick google didn't turn anything up, but PSPOs are extremely bad - and also extremely common. My London Borough has 13 of them in force at the moment, covering a substantial portion of the poorer part of the borough - and covering things from public drinking to soliciting for work outside a builders merchant.
                                              Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 23-01-2019, 16:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I'm strongly getting Edward Hopper in a couple of them.
                                                Yes, I can definitely see that, too - but without Hopper's high-finish. (Which is no criticism, either.)

Comment

The other way rough sleepers are criminalised is via Community Protection Notices and Criminal Behaviour Orders. The former are used to deal with persistent nuisance behaviour, the latter are applied to people post-prosecution - and they can dovetail nicely in that people who are convicted of breaching the CPN can subsequently be subject to a CBO.

(CBOs and CPNs can be considered a sort of son-of-ASBO).
                                                  Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 23-01-2019, 16:45.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X