• Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/philiprucker/status/1330269973378424837

Comment

Jeezus
      Hopefully he’ll be tied up in court.

Comment

Black and Latino support for Trump - the Beeb's view: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54972389

Comment

So is the next step the unfaithful electors gambit? This quote from Sidney Powell is amazing:

“The entire election, frankly, in all the swing states, should be overturned, and the legislatures should make sure that the electors are selected for Trump,” urged Powell on Fox Business. Here was the president’s lawyer openly calling to “overturn” a federal election.

Comment

Guiliani is pulling the "we deliberately lost in Pennsylvania in order to take the appeal elsewhere."

I'm no expert, but I don't think that is how it works.

Comment

The potential for millions of people to believe in an obviously fabricated reality makes me wonder how much of our historiography is totally inaccurate.

Comment

Has anybody else noticed the propensity of Grauniad and US progressive media to use the recently invented gender-neutral "Latinx"?

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. The word comes from Spanish, and Latin languages are gendered by design. I feel like they are applying their Anglo language views to another culture. Just use Latina and Latino interchangeably at will.

Comment

Probably a topic for the other thread. People can say whatever they want. If you're inclined to criticize or think less of someone for saying Latino instead of Latinx, you're a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                    Black and Latino support for Trump - the Beeb's view: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54972389
                    What do you think of this article?

Regarding Black people i can see alot of bullshit and lies in the article, for example:

"And this year, several black celebrities appeared to voice their support for Mr Trump, including rappers Curtis Jackson (aka "50 Cent") and Ice Cube - although 50 Cent later rowed back his endorsement, and Ice Cube, who had backed Mr Trump's Platinum Plan, distanced himself from the president's actual campaign."

50 Cent was clearly joking with the quip about Biden's tax plans turning him from 50 cent to 20 Cent and did not endorse Trump.

Ice Cube never endorsed Trump, something he made clear on every one of the 10,000 interviews he did.

Right under a chart that shows the growth in Asian (and other ) Trump vote was the highest, you see this sentence:

"The group that saw the biggest increase in support for Mr Trump compared to 2016, however, was black men"

But lets not let facts get in the way of ignorant scapegoating of black people.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

What do you think of this article?

Regarding Black people i can see alot of bullshit and lies in the article, for example:

"And this year, several black celebrities appeared to voice their support for Mr Trump, including rappers Curtis Jackson (aka "50 Cent") and Ice Cube - although 50 Cent later rowed back his endorsement, and Ice Cube, who had backed Mr Trump's Platinum Plan, distanced himself from the president's actual campaign."

50 Cent was clearly joking with the quip about Biden's tax plans turning him from 50 cent to 20 Cent and did not endorse Trump.

Ice Cube never endorsed Trump, something he made clear on every one of the 10,000 interviews he did.

Right under a chart that shows the growth in Asian (and other ) Trump vote was the highest, you see this sentence:

"The group that saw the biggest increase in support for Mr Trump compared to 2016, however, was black men"

But lets not let facts get in the way of ignorant scapegoating of black people.
                      Given that there would be significantly more black men than Asians voting, the statement could be numerically correct, though Hispanic men would certainly push it close.

Comment

That kind of article drives me crazy. Trump was spectacularly unpopular with black people in 2016 because he was a racist dogshit merchant. In 2020 he was still spectacularly unpopular with black people but marginally less so. “Biggest increase” is such a stupid stat, too, because starting at a low baseline makes doubling the total very easy but still basically meaningless noise.

And then they back it up with vox pops which you can use to reinforce any narrative at all. You can always find someone with whatever view helps your story.

Comment

Yes, it’s like UKIP becoming a huge story because they got the biggest increase in the vote. If you didn’t know, you’d think from the coverage that they’d won elections.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                            Probably a topic for the other thread. People can say whatever they want. If you're inclined to criticize or think less of someone for saying Latino instead of Latinx, you're a tool.
                            if you call someone a tool for asking people to use the word Latinx- (not dissimilar from asking people not to use "He" or "Man" to mean humanity) then you're a tool.

Plenty of speakers of languages which are gendered are finding ways to be inclusive. No reason not to recognise that (unless you're a small minded bigot, of course- and/or a Jordan Peterson stan)

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                              Has anybody else noticed the propensity of Grauniad and US progressive media to use the recently invented gender-neutral "Latinx"?

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. The word comes from Spanish, and Latin languages are gendered by design. I feel like they are applying their Anglo language views to another culture. Just use Latina and Latino interchangeably at will.
                              It's not a word invented by Anglos.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                if you call someone a tool for asking people to use the word Latinx- (not dissimilar from asking people not to use "He" or "Man" to mean humanity) then you're a tool.
                                Not what I said, and you even quoted me so it was right in front of you. If someone asks me to say Latinx, I might well comply so as not to offend them. That someone judging me for saying Latino is a different matter, as would be judging everyone who didn't get the memo. If people are taking personal offense at uses of the word not directed at them, I think they've got a problematic approach to life. If they prefer a different word, they can ask away, and maybe everyone will say yes. But what seems to happen instead is a lot of attempted bigot shaming, as for example --

Plenty of speakers of languages which are gendered are finding ways to be inclusive. No reason not to recognise that (unless you're a small minded bigot, of course- and/or a Jordan Peterson stan)

Comment

when you say "attempted bigot shaming" do you mean "attempting to shame a bigot", or "shaming people for attempting to be a bigot"?

Comment

I don't understand the point of the question. What does "attempting to be a bigot" mean? As you probably knew, I meant attempting to paint someone who isn't a bigot as a bigot, because that's what makes you happiest.

Comment

You (as so often )make entirely unnecessary offensive remarks where you describe those who disagree with you as "tool"

You don't like being called out for your behaviour.

Comment

Plenty of speakers of languages which are gendered are finding ways to be inclusive. No reason not to recognise that -

"If you're inclined to criticize or think less of someone for saying Latino instead of Latinx", you're doing your bit for encouraging people to think about how gender operates"

This is like to upset those who used to think Jordan Peterson is intellectually respectable

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

Anything gendered can cause problems for people, by design or not. So ungendering - such as 'they' instead of 'he' or 'she', or Latinx - is a progressive way of undesigning it.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to learn there's a movement to engender objects, too. Lu table instead of le or la. What table or chair or hat needs to be gendered?

Comment

You (as so often )make entirely unnecessary offensive remarks where you describe those who disagree with you as "tool"

You don't like being called out for your behaviour.
                                            I'm not complaining, I'm disagreeing. You're free to call me a tool back, and a bigot. You're wrong about the latter, which makes you more of a tool to me, but that's your right.

"If you're inclined to criticize or think less of someone for saying Latino instead of Latinx", you're doing your bit for encouraging people to think about how gender operates"
                                            Really? I get that "doing your bit" is what you think you're doing. "How gender operates" is massively question-begging. Gendered languages can dilute how gender "operates" as much as reinforce it. There's no automatic connection between the use of a gendered word and the mindset or intention of the person using it, there's no requirement to hear a gendered word as gendered, and there's zero proof of harmful outcomes that aren't better explained by actual, identifiable harmful intentions.

This is part of an effort to remove gender from language, which I think I'm basically in favor of, ideally. But the methodology I see is: 1) decide that gendered labels are inherently offensive; 2) ask/tell/scold people to change how they talk, with the suggestion they're either being sexist/bigoted or enabling sexism/bigotry if they don't; and 3) conclude they're sexists/bigots if they don't. It seems designed to fail.
                                            Last edited by Bruno; 22-11-2020, 17:13.

Comment

Characterising someone who has a different position to you as "a tool" may be what passes for Socratic dialogue in the Jordan Peterson fan club. I consider it gratuitously and unneccessarily offensive.

One way that language changes when people put pressure on those who use it unthinkingly - see for example the fact that the N word and a number of other words are no longer used- whether or nor there is a "mindset or intention"beforehand . We can see that there's a mindset or intention of those who refuse to maker the change when asked - or who abuse others because they consider it importnat

German has made considerable progress, either in only using the feminine version or by using neologisms like e.g. AutorInnen (which employs a similar construction to Latinx)

Comment

Characterising someone who has a different position to you as "a tool" may be what passes for Socratic dialogue in the Jordan Peterson fan club. I consider it gratuitously and unneccessarily offensive.

One way that language changes when people put pressure on those who use it unthinkingly - see for example the fact that the N word and a number of other words are no longer used- whether or nor there is a "mindset or intention"beforehand . We can see that there's a mindset or intention of those who refuse to maker the change when asked - or who abuse others because they consider it importnat

German has made considerable progress, either in only using the feminine version or by using neologisms like e.g. AutorInnen (which employs a similar construction to Latinx)
                                                1) I am not a fan of Jordan Peterson.

2) This is also not what I did. I don't think people are tools for having "a different position" per se. I think people who think less of someone for using a non-slur they don't happen to like are tools.

3) I didn't refuse to do anything. The N-word is a slur. "Latino" isn't. Get back to us when it is.

4) What is the long-run point of making an exception for the feminine version, if the goal is to remove gender? I suppose if everything were feminine, nothing would be.

Comment

Jesus Christ did everyone wake on the wrong side of OTF today? Calm it down. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to step into yet another situation and try to defuse it. Especially as this is not the first rodeo for either of you. So walk away from the keyboard for short while or I'll make it happen for you. It's a Sunday afternoon, for fucks sake.

Comment

No one is trying to “remove gender from language “ they are just trying to make people aware of how it’s used, and especially what the assumptions involved in using language are. In particular the use of the masculine to denote both male and female.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X