No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Trump is waiting for the Call of Duty cosplayers to make some kind of stand, that’s a long wait for a train don’t come.

And the cops prefer their violence against civilians to be small scale.

Comment

People have been dying for Trump already by attending his rallies maskless during a pandemic. Taking a bullet would just be a variation on that.

I'm not sure we will see Trump do any more press conferences in person. It wouldn't be the first time he's skipped them for several months.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-11-2020, 23:15.

Comment

Attending a rally because Covid isn't real is a bit different from staring down the barrel of a gun, I suspect.

Comment

The cosplayers tend to think of bullets in terms of giving rather than receiving.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            If Trump is waiting for the Call of Duty cosplayers to make some kind of stand, that’s a long wait for a train don’t come.

And the cops prefer their violence against civilians to be small scale.
            I saw a pretty fun meme that noted it was an interesting plan to depend on an insurgent army who would struggle to run half a mile.

Comment

At least we know now for certain that Rudy would dye for his boss.

Comment

It would be foolish to not take the numerous right wing militia groups seriously.
                The numerous groups that Trump has brazenly told to stand down and stand by should really be taken seriously and have shown on numerous occasions recently they are definitely about that life.

The prod boys, the bogaloo boys the Oathkeepers and the 3 percenters are numerous and embedded with local law enfoecement.

As Dave Cheppelle correctly pointed out, it was covid that put a stop to the weekly mass shootings in America more than anything else.

Comment

Mebbe not

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1329561358518661120

Comment

Mascara, possibly.

Comment

After watching multiple clips from that presser, I'm not convinced that Rudy was the most batshit part of it. Jenna Ellis and this Sidney woman are both plain bonkers and bizarrely angry at their case not being taken seriously enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                        There is that, and also a general amnesia* regarding the reasons systems get put in place. It becomes 'but this is our way of doing it', and an unwillingness to change despite the original motivation, which made the system make sense, having long gone so the reasons for doing it that way obviated.
                        To use another American example, the way you structure your sports leagues screams of the legacy of train travel. Which was the primary inter-city transport mode when Baseball leagues started developing in the late 19th century. That small Divisions, play-offs, road trips and home stands are really not necessary in the jet age when coast-to-coast is a four hour flight, doesn't change the way the leagues work. Because that is now the American way of doing sports, so it gets adopted wholesale, without any serious questioning of whether the appropriate solution for the 1890s still holds in the 21st century.

* - a human, rather than just American, trait.
                        I don’t agree with that. Traveling coast to coast is still a burden, and for TV, it makes sense to keep as many games as possible in the same time zone.

The better example is why, given the advantages of regional divisions, that the AL and NL have mostly stayed in tact in baseball and the AFC and NFC are still mostly the same as they were before the merger. It would make sense for Baltimore to play Washington more often, for example, or all the teams in California to be in the same division.

The same “we’ve always done it that way” arguments apply to why every country in Europe, including some very small ones, has its own football league and few teams play in leagues outside their own borders. There’s no practical barrier to having an all Britain and Ireland league pyramid, for example. It’s just that nobody wants to give what they have.

Comment

There is obviously some amusement value in this, but I am amazed that people are taking it all as a joke. This loon has the nuclear codes and the ability to start wars, destroy alliances and do damage to the structure through which decisions are enacted that you can't just roll in in January and undo. I know that in places like Australia and the UK old traditions like not making long-lasting policy changes during pre-election caretaker mode are breached more often than they used to be, but the situation in the US is beyond humour and into dangerous territory.

Comment

There is a widespread belief within the US defence establishment that the military would not execute a nuclear order, in the same way that they refused to do so for Nixon when he was drunk.

There is less of a consensus on performative wars, but he has been talked out of a strike on Iran since the election and such strikes are rendered more difficult by his insistance that the number of troops being drawn down in the Middle East and Asia.

None of which should be read as a statement that this frontal attack on democracy should not be taken seriously.

Comment

WOM is right

Sidney Powell is batshit crazy even by Trumpy standards.

Even Tucker ain't buyin'

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1329595221420761090

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                It would be foolish to not take the numerous right wing militia groups seriously.
                                The numerous groups that Trump has brazenly told to stand down and stand by should really be taken seriously and have shown on numerous occasions recently they are definitely about that life.

The prod boys, the bogaloo boys the Oathkeepers and the 3 percenters are numerous and embedded with local law enfoecement.

As Dave Cheppelle correctly pointed out, it was covid that put a stop to the weekly mass shootings in America more than anything else.
                                I am at the point of tedium with most of this where I would say "bring it on". They have been there with guns for decades trying to intimidate. Put up or shut up. Obviously, when the US Army is against them they will doubtless back down to their bunkholes again.

Comment

My favorite right-wing militia moment post-election was an interview with a member of such at a pro-Trump protest where he said "we're here to protect our country from becoming a police state" then turning to the officer behind him and saying "no offense to the police of course."

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

I am at the point of tedium with most of this where I would say "bring it on". They have been there with guns for decades trying to intimidate. Put up or shut up. Obviously, when the US Army is against them they will doubtless back down to their bunkholes again.
                                    It’s unlikely to be you that gets shot, though.
                                    Has everyone seen this

https://twitter.com/alexanderchee/status/1329677767210905602?s=21
                                    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 20-11-2020, 07:01.

Comment

I meant to post that before Rudy took over the time line

I very much hope that she is well protected

Comment

Susan Collins would be deeply concerned about the 200 executions and burning everybody alive but still vote against impeaching Trump.

Comment

The chances of them actually doing that are, IMO, greatly exaggerated. These are the sort of people who thinking they can start a fight in a pub car park and end up struggling to get out of being held back by their mates but funnily enough, never quite struggling hard enough to break free.

Edit: Not that I think Whitmer is either exaggerating or not in need of professional protection.

Comment

Georgia recount/audit confirms Biden win. Just needs Kemp's signature for certification:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/polit...lts/index.html

Comment

McEnany unraveling:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1329840289939394560

Comment

So is donald Jr only catching Covid now, an embarrassing sign of how far outside the inner circle he really is?

Comment

The federal judge in Williamsport wasn't amused by Rudy!

https://twitter.com/abfrancois/status/1330294650951905295

Comment

Williamsport is where I’d go if I got called to a federal jury.

It’s also known for the LLWS and its high school nickname is “the Millionaires.” So now it can be famous for something else.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X