Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1304060058096087045

The reporter in question who hosted a party to honor Seema Verma is Susan Page of USA Today, who is scheduled to moderate the VP debate.

Comment

Page should withdraw, but the other details of Verma's spending spree on image consultants is much more damning, not to mention the leaks of inside information to friendly contractors.

https://twitter.com/dandrezner/status/1304078160850550787

Comment

Par for the course. Trump blabbed state secrets about nuclear weaponry to Woodward.

Comment

There has been a good deal of interesting chatter among national security types as to whether it is really secret or not.

This thread is an example:

https://twitter.com/james_acton32/status/1303891464456372224

Comment

https://twitter.com/ron_fournier/status/1304252401042550784?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              Yeah. Trump will probably dispute the results, but he's leaving office if he loses.
              What if Trump is able to drag out the legal appeals beyond Inaugoration Day? What if SCOTUS says he can stay in the WH until the process is exhausted?

Comment

Then, I believe, Nancy Pelosi becomes President until they sort themselves out.

Comment

Then, I believe, Nancy Pelosi becomes President until they sort themselves out.
                  So, in that event, does Nancy become 46 and then it either reverts to 45 or moves on to 47?

Comment

Grover Cleveland is 22 and 24. I assume that Trump would be 45 and 47 should he "win" election on a legal technicality after a court case.

Comment

I'm glad to see that people are finally focusing on the important issues.

The Cleveland Convention took several decades to be established.

Comment

Could/should Gore have fought on longer in 2000-2001?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          Could/should Gore have fought on longer in 2000-2001?
                          Retrospectively, yes. For sure. Apparently he acquiesced 'for the good of the country', and told Jesse Jackson to stand down the legions of African Americans who were going to start protesting.

Comment

The Democrats brought a butter knife to a gunfight with automatic weapons in Florida

Comment

The numbering system is wrong. I refuse to call Trump 45 because he isn't.

Comment

Another principled stand which I admire

I argued against the convention when I was five. A lot of good it did me.

Comment

Interesting piece

https://twitter.com/vanityfair/status/1304173193368920065

Comment

But... her emails!

Comment

Grover Cleveland is 22 and 24. I assume that Trump would be 45 and 47 should he "win" election on a legal technicality after a court case.
                                      And still the last defeated President to run in the following election, which presumably Trump would attempt in 2024 if he does lose out.

Comment

That's an interesting point of view.

It is very hard for me to conceive of a state of events in which he loses in November and yet is seen the GOP's best chance of getting back the Presidency in 2024. It is even more difficult to see how he loses in 2020 and is a driving force behind a GOP win in the 2022 midterms.

But I have of course been wrong before.

Comment

I’m broadly aligned with Ursus here. If Trump loses hi can’t see the Republicans “letting” him run again. Although admittedly I didn’t see that happening in 2016 either. More pertinently I see his current desperate clinging to power largely being related the legal immunity, and surely by 2024 that’s all resolved one way or the other.

That said, his monstrous ego might demand a Berlusconi-style return.... and can the Republicans refuse?

Comment

Devastating piece on Joe Biden

I mean sure, you have to vote for him if you can, but it's worth remembering how much the barrel is being scraped

Trump will be 78 in 2024, not a particularly healthy 78 either.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Retrospectively, yes. For sure. Apparently he acquiesced 'for the good of the country', and told Jesse Jackson to stand down the legions of African Americans who were going to start protesting.
                                              For the record, these legions of African Americans you speak of exist in the realm of Minotaurs and Unicorns. Or you are mistaking Jesse's Jackson with the Honourable Minister Farrakhan?

Comment

I was wondering about that, but chose not to say anything given that I was working 20 hour days in Rome at the.time.

Comment

Interesting note in an aside in that Vanity Fair article, about how blacks dropped from a 60-40 split in favor of the Democrats being just more popular than Eisenhower to something close to a 90-10 split under Goldwater. While putting it all on a single fulcrum is probably reductionist, that's a big signpost on how the "party of Lincoln" because the party of overt white supremacism.

Comment

Jackie Robinson, who was a Rockefeller Republican before 1964, famously walked away from the Republican Party after the convention (held in San Francisco!*), calling it akin to a Nuremberg rally.

*well, the Cow Palace

Comment

Working...
                                                    X