No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's been doing speeches and other public appearances that raise funds for the Foundation.

Comment

Jeff Bezos does not like Bernie Sanders, it appears.
      [URL]https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1231801587976331264?s=21[/URL]

Comment

It's almost like the billionaires feel threatened.

Comment

So apparently the WaPo piece thinks Sanders isn't real enough about climate change because he wants to cut fossil fuels by TOO MUCH. Which apparently justifies a headline saying that he is just as out of touch with the reality of climate change as Donald Trump.

There was a funny cartoon in the replies on twitter:

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
            Jeff Bezos does not like Bernie Sanders, it appears.
            [URL]https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1231801587976331264?s=21[/URL]
            And the libs go crazy when Bernie dares to question the motivations of the WaPo.

Comment

"Mike is a genius with money", example 3,829

https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1231971942326063106

Comment

Christ on a bike, if any of my friends started spamming me political texts I'd be having sharp words.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1232009442801209346[/URL]

Comment

Why she’s voting for Bernie

a thread

[URL]https://twitter.com/dubarrypie/status/1231669876122505216?s=21[/URL]

Comment

She's right about the US medical system. But even a Sanders presidency with a Democratic sweep of purple and light-red senate seats still wouldn't lead to proper universal healthcare in the US. She might be a bit less screwed under a Sander presidency but there's no way that he'll be able to pass a universal healthcare bill. (I really prefer the term universal healthcare to the mealy-mouthed "single-payer" and the confusing "medicare for all").

Comment

Strange that you grew up in a country which had free universal healthcare but you consider it an impossible dream for your adopted new home.
                        Last edited by Nefertiti2; 25-02-2020, 00:15.

Comment

???

Comment

I think I've made pretty clear on these pages that I think Sanders is the wrong candidate for the Democrats, and doesn't have the right message for 21st century progressives. But I'm coming round to the feeling that there might be nobody better, and almost certainly nobody better who might be able to win the nomination. I still hold a candle for Warren, but sadly think she doesn't have a chance even if the anti-Sanders forces coalesced. And it's obvious that Amy and Pete can't win (and both - particularly Amy - have spent too much time focusing on what can't be done). And it's obvious that Biden and Bloomberg would make even worse candidates than Sanders. So perhaps we should have the Sanders candidacy.

But I have an absolute ton of reservations while saying that.

Comment

Strange that you grew up in a country which had free universal healthcare but you consider it an impossible dream for your adopted new home.
                              Explain how it's magically going to get past a Senate full of Manchins and Feinsteins and Synemas, let alone Ted Cruzes and Rand Pauls.

Comment

Because the current system isn’t fit for purpose

[URL]https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1231959925040939009?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Everyone (well, almost everyone) knows it's not fit for purpose. Everyone knows - to use a recent example that I experienced - that it's comically stupid that you have to pay for your ambulance ride, and even stupider that you have to tell them which hospital to take you to.

That doesn't explain how it's going to get through the Senate.

Comment

If Sanders is elected ( and that’s a big if) it will get through the Senate. Because I don’t think that another 4 years of blocking the popular will will be feasible. If Sanders is elected he’ll have a bigger share of the vote than Clinton did.

Comment

Nef, it won't even have the support of all Democratic senators on inauguration day. Recall that Lieberman was key to killing any progress under Clinton.

Comment

It is called "not being deluded"

Comment

It’s evening in America.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/strobist/status/1232060945079382016?s=21[/URL]

Comment

It's been pretty fucking dark for years

Comment

Oh, hang on a second. I am just being unreasonably cynical. I struggle to use all my fingers and thumbs to find people I know would be aligned with Sanders on Universal Healthcare in the Senate. It is as though Obama made the whole Obamacare thing look like a ridiculous struggle so he could claim some form of martyrdom.

There are hundreds of US structural political things that are totally not fit for purpose. If the majority of Sanders supporters are anything like you in outlook they are going to be super disappointed should be be elected. He is still playing the same DC game, even if his stump speech is radically different.

Comment

There are plenty of things I would love to see change and Healthcare is one of them. Opportunity to go and kill 20+ 6-year-olds less then 30 minutes from my home is another (and that is in a state with top tier gun control).

The cards are heavily stacked against any of this being fixed.

Comment

I don't see any conceivable way that the Democrats have a filibuster proof senate majority.

If they retain Alabama, and win Arizona, North Carolina, Maine and Colorado, they have a 51-49 Senate majority. Even that would be a bit of a miracle.

If you add in the very outside chances: McConnell in Kentucky, Cornyn in Texas, Ernst in Iowa, the Georgia special election, and say Kris Kobach manages to balls up Kansas for the Republicans, we're at 56-44.

In a ridiculous wave scenario, where Tester decides to run in Montana and wins, and the second Georgia seat falls, we're at 58-48.

You still have to find another two Democrat wins somewhere. Idaho, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Louisiama, South Dakota, Nebraska, West Virginia, South Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi are not very fruitful places to be looking.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X