Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that's what really winds me up ua.

WOM - I'm going to argue that it's correct.

Comment

Yeah. "Calling" these races is meaningless. It didn't matter who won New Hampshire or Iowa because the margins were tiny and the results are proportional. The results here matter because Sanders win has been relatively huge.

Although, of course, he's still winning under 50% of the county delegates, which is another day that makes it a bit harder for him to win a majority ahead of any convention (even harder for everyone else, of course). It is funny that a number of people who were arguing that "delegates are the wrong way to judge these things, we should look at first preference votes" after Iowa have rapidly changed their tune when Sanders went from 33% first preference votes to 46% delegates in these caucuses.

It's really time for the DNC to make every conest a ranked-choice primary, where the lowest scoring candidates get votes reallocated until each candidate remaining has over 15%. Time to put an end to caucuses.

Comment

Did y'all hear that Sanders's rise is the very mirror image of Trump's?

Comment

Pete has gone beyond his new Obama impression and is now copying Obama speeches.

[URL]https://twitter.com/CANCEL_SAM/status/1231478351673614338[/URL]

Comment

It is crazy the amount of energy some candidate supporters spend beating up their opponents. The whole primary structure is a cancerous process - it really isn't surprising that incumbent Presidents have such a success rate at winning a second term.

Comment

Bizarre reporting of the election result from BBC radio today - 'Donald Trump has congratulated Senator Bernie Sanders on winning the Nevada caucus'.

Well, not bizarre in the sense of we all know why they're doing it, but a bit suprising to me that the BBC care enough to editorialise against Bernie.

Comment

The bbc is Murdoch’s bitch at the moment

[URL]https://twitter.com/anandwrites/status/1231624450128404480?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I always detested Chris Matthews. He hasn't been (or seemed) especially relevant since the Bush administration and it sounds like he needs to retire.

Comment

One of my co-workers hates Bernie Sanders because she claims that he cost Hillary Clinton the last election by not encouraging his supporters to vote for her.
                    I had some other stuff going on in 2016 (and wasn't an American back then) so wasn't really paying much attention, but is there any truth to this?

Comment

No.

Comment

To clarify a little, I mean the not encouraging his supporters to vote for Hillary part, not that that is what cost her the election.

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

He formally endorsed her and appeared with her in July, but that will never be enough for Pantsuit Nation

https://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders/index.html

Comment

He also did something like three times as many rallies for Hillary than she did for Obama in 2008 when she was in a similar position.

Obama made her Secretary for State anyway. Keep your enemies close and all that.

Comment

The structure of the centrist antipathy to Corbyn and Sanders is pretty startling:

1) A dangerous populist who is somehow a mirror image of far-right demogogues (the cure is as bad as the illness)
                                2) Anti-semitic to boot (ie, a racist, not the anti-racist their entire political record suggests)
                                3) Half-hearted support for half-arsed yet cherished centrist project was critical factor in loss to right-wing extremism (the stab in the back)

Comment

Did they do any more reporting of results today at all?

Comment

Not as of yet.

The primary reason for that appears to be a challenge by the Buttigieg campaign alleging "irregularities" in the process and asking them not to finalise any results.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...sults-n1141431

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                      To clarify a little, I mean the not encouraging his supporters to vote for Hillary part, not that that is what cost her the election.
                                      There was a sentiment of "Bernie or Bust" amongst his supporters in other words they would vote for Bernie or no-one but that was not Bernie's stance - he was always about supporting the Dem nominee against Trump.

Hillary diehards just love to scapegoat others for her shortcomings rather than come to terms with reality.

Comment

It really is a club of the worst type of people on campaigns looking at any technicality. It isn't even March and I am thoroughly depressed by all the antics and calculated moves.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/berniesanders/status/1231709010430189570?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Marianne Williamson endorses Sanders

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                              He also did something like three times as many rallies for Hillary than she did for Obama in 2008 when she was in a similar position.

Obama made her Secretary for State anyway. Keep your enemies close and all that.
                                              He did a large number of rallies on her behalf in the swing states where she lost to Trump; she made no appearances in these states at all and relied on surrogates. It is staggering how little self-reflection she's demonstrated (in public at least), but not surprising ultimately.

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez View Post

There was a sentiment of "Bernie or Bust" amongst his supporters in other words they would vote for Bernie or no-one but that was not Bernie's stance - he was always about supporting the Dem nominee against Trump.

Hillary diehards just love to scapegoat others for her shortcomings rather than come to terms with reality.
                                                I think a large degree of the unsubstantiated criticism he faces is projection (one quarter of Hilary primary voters went for Romney in 2008, for example) - especially the idea that his supporters are overwhelmingly white and middle class, voting for someone that looks like him. Underlying it I think is that for a large number of vocal and prominent political commentators, politics is a parlour game, a horse race where the candidate that you like best (based on superficial identity, cultural elements) rather than a competition of ideas that affect the entire population.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post

He did a large number of rallies on her behalf in the swing states where she lost to Trump; she made no appearances in these states at all and relied on surrogates. It is staggering how little self-reflection she's demonstrated (in public at least), but not surprising ultimately.
                                                  I had assumed she had basically gone into hiding politically until she recently emerged to stick an oar in about 2020 unnecessarily.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X