No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, all kinds of local ones - like whether we approve a change where the city auditor is appointed by the council rather than they mayor

Comment

I keep forgetting that you are within the city limits.

Most California city charters are similar in this respect.

Comment

Actually, for the primary it only looks like 5 in total.

Statewide, a big school bond of $15bn

County:One about a housing development out near Escindido. One about a general change requiring voter inputs when there's a change to the land use parts of the county's general plan

City: The auditor one and one on increasing hotel taxes to pay for convention center upgrades (and street repairs, but that's just a sop - it's really about the convention center).

Comment

I feel that it's a bit nuts that people like me get input on all this stuff I don't understand

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
            I need to start reading about the statewide propositions and to try to find leftist voting guides so I can be told which judges are evil and which ones are less bad.
            The SF Bay Guardian voter guide is an invaluable resource to do precisely this. I don’t know if LA has an equivalent but they should. We had Democratic County Committee seats up for grabs this year, and I’d have no idea who I should vote for without it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Do you have a bunch of local ones as well?

One of the joys of voting in San Francisco is that the City Charter parallels the State Constitution in terms of what is submitted to the voters. There were always multiple questions on minor changes in what qualified as eligible investments for the fire fighters' pension fund and the like.
              We have a question like that this year, something to do with jiggery pokery about ex-employees who worked for the SF Housing Authority getting SF employee health benefits because the agency collapsed and so there’s some sort of gap before they were re-employed by other agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

The SF Bay Guardian voter guide is an invaluable resource to do precisely this. I don’t know if LA has an equivalent but they should. We had Democratic County Committee seats up for grabs this year, and I’d have no idea who I should vote for without it.
                DSA-LA has a guide, and so does a local progressive online magazine.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1228175463635308546?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/peterbeinart/status/1228044216670007298?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/alexburnsnyt/status/1228711185543057409?s=21[/URL]

Comment

A Jewish candidate with lots of money, allegations of media manipulation ... this is not going to end well.

Comment

There are two Jewish candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                            There are two Jewish candidates.
                            I'm not expecting the left to use phoney claims of anti-Semitism to discredit the right. I am, however, anticipating criticism of Bloomberg being presented as evidence of anti-Semitism. And a possible dirty ops campaign on social media with phoney accounts to provide grist for that mill. Basically the anti-Corbyn strategy. Brand a candidate's supporters anti-Semitic and then as why these hateful people support that particular candidate. All at a safe distance, of course, via proxies.

I can just about imagine a situation where Sanders is facing Trump in the election, with Trump claiming Sanders stole the nomination from "My good friend Mike, who's Jewish" by telling "all sorts of wicked, nasty lies about him."
                            Last edited by Lurgee; 15-02-2020, 20:40.

Comment

You're probably right, yes. Everything is possible.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/cpeedell/status/1228611952513110017?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Those data seem to run to 2009 and 2012. I believe that the bankruptcy rate has fallen dramatically since the ACA was brought in. It's still shockingly high, and doesn't negate the core point that nobody should go into bankruptcy because they're sick, but things have definitely improved.

Comment

Bloomberg has apparently spent $308 million on advertising.

edit: so it's obviously in the interest of the networks to keep him in the race
                                    Last edited by anton pulisov; 17-02-2020, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                      Bloomberg has apparently spent $308 million on advertising.

edit: so it's obviously in the interest of the networks to keep him in the race
                                      True talk there.
                                      What has been the fallout in the mainbstream media of Bloomberg getting endorsements from the likes of Bobby Rush and Sylvester Turner?

Comment

Very little, as far as I can tell

You can buy off a shitload of people with half a billion dollars

Comment

Things keep getting weirder

https://twitter.com/roseemojis4pete/status/1229575566841597952
                                          Last edited by Snake Plissken; 18-02-2020, 14:24. Reason: Fixing the link so that it goes to Twitter

Comment

“Polling is tricky in Nevada” they say. Sanders leading by 19 points in one poll today with Tom Steyer in 5th. Tom Steyer leading by 3 in another poll, with Sanders in 4th

Comment

I’m sorta curious what the replies to that were like.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                “Polling is tricky in Nevada” they say. Sanders leading by 19 points in one poll today with Tom Steyer in 5th. Tom Steyer leading by 3 in another poll, with Sanders in 4th
                                                The Steyer one has a tiny sample size (250), which breaks down as follows by ethnic identification:

African-American 9%
                                                Asian 2.6%
                                                Hispanic 17.1%
                                                Other 2.4%
                                                White 69%

and by age:

18-20 5.2%
                                                30-39 7.9%
                                                40-49 10.4%
                                                50-65 27.1%
                                                65+ 49.4%

Comment

In short, people who sit in front of the TV all day.

Comment

Aren't all polling samples skewed (particularly when only old people have landlines) - and you then have to adjust the data to match the general population?

I'll admit to thinking that the Steyer poll is bollocks and the Sanders one is way more likely. But I'm just pointing out that predicting the details of the Nevada caucus is probably a fool's errand.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X