No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was clear that they were going to do all they could to prevent that from actually happening. So disgusting.

Comment

This is a great campaign video

Comment

The transcript of Pete’s interview is pretty brutal. Lots of blue text meant to indicate inaccuracies.

Comment

Forgot to share this here, just further support for the CIA agent angle

[URL]https://twitter.com/condiricenbeans/status/1216594165624004611[/URL]

Comment

Strong resemblance - so what's the 2000s version of the Smoking Man? The Gave Up Smoking Man? The Vaping Man?

Comment

I’m in Massachusetts now which means I’m in the Manchester media market - and therefore subjected to advertising bombardment from candidates in the primary. The amount of Steyer and Bloomberg pieces is astonishing - they really are spending a fortune. They’re obviously both terrible candidates but I approve of Bloomberg’s approach much more: he’s not making it about the primary. All his pieces start off by attacking Trump (on healthcare, as far as I can tell). Which I think is super-valuable for whoever becomes the Democratic candidate. He’s not differentiating himself per se - not having a go at Bernie or Pete, not being part of the internal bitching-sniping-fest. As someone who’d be largely happy with any of the five real options as candidate I appreciate this approach.

Comment

If he's serious about spending to that level in favour of the nominee, he can actually do some good for once

I didn't realize that the Manchester market extended into Massachusetts

Comment

What's the Manchester media market? I did google briefly but came up with nothing.

Comment

I think it does. Certainly the advertising is targeted at southern NH.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      What's the Manchester media market? I did google briefly but came up with nothing.
                      New Hampshire. For the primaries.

Comment

Manchester is a city in southern New Hampshire, United States. It is the most populous city in northern New England, an area comprising the states of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. As of the 2010 census the city had a population of 109,565, and in 2018 the population was estimated to be 112,525.

Comment

Manchester’s the biggest city in New Hampshire - if you’re competing in the New Hampshire primary, it’s where you want to advertise, particularly as a Democrat where the voting population is more predominantly urban. It’s about 50 miles from Boston, so I think they get the Boston TV channels and therefore they’re in the same media market. I could be wrong - but this amount of advertising really only makes sense in the context of the early primary.

Comment

I hadn't realised there were no cities of any real size in the tri-state area.

Comment

OK, that makes more sense to me.

What you are seeing is NH-targeted adverts on Boston-based channels (which will also be targeting the "tax exiles" who moved across the state line because they are greedy twunts).

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                I hadn't realised there were no cities of any real size in the tri-state area.
                                Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont don't tend to be grouped, but that is certainly true. The next two largest cities are Portland, ME (66,000) and Burlington, VT (42,000)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont don't tend to be grouped, but that is certainly true. The next two largest cities are Portland, ME (66,000) and Burlington, VT (42,000)
                                  Hence the massive gravitational pull of Boston on pretty much the whole of that area (not sure if it's quite as true of Burlington which is much nearer to Montreal)

Comment

I've always sensed a big difference between New Hampshire and Vermont in that (and every other respect).

Southern NH owes a great deal of its recent development to the aforementioned "tax exiles", most of whom came from Metropolitan Boston (and many of whom still work there). That has only intensified the "natural" Boston-focused nature of the media, etc.

Whereas Vermont in general (and Burlington in particular) has always been more of its own thing, drawing from a larger variety of sources (New York, academics in Burlington and White River Junction (Dartmouth-based "refugees" who can't deal with NH), Montreal, ski bums, etc.)

And then Maine is a different thing entirely, particularly outside of Portland, with many characteristics one usually associates with Appalachia.

The more one knows about "New England", the more one realises the grouping is only relevant geographically (and in devotion to the Red Sox and Patriots), it doesn't hold together in other spheres.

Comment

If he's serious about spending to that level in favour of the nominee, he can actually do some good for once

I didn't realize that the Manchester market extended into Massachusetts
                                      Hasn't Bloomberg hinted that if Sanders is the nominee then he may go third-party? Or was I just assuming that and confusing that in my mind with the story that Obama will work to make sure that Sanders doesn't get the nomination.

I thought this from a new survey from NH was interesting:

[URL]https://twitter.com/eldon_katz/status/1218211097267900420[/URL]

Comment

Bloomberg has said different things at different times to different audiences, but his latest public line is that he is going to spend money in support of the nominee.

It isn't surprising to me that NH Democrats skew left, as they are an endangered minority in a state full of wingnuts.

Comment

It isn't surprising to me that NH Democrats skew left, as they are an endangered minority in a state full of wingnuts.
                                          Thanks, wasn't aware of that.

Comment

I was reading today that Bloomberg has spent $10 million on an advert during the Superb Owl.

Comment

New Hampshire having "Live Free or Die" on their license plates is a dead giveaway on the nature of the population.

Comment

Ronny Chieng has some funny stuff on that in his Netflix special.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                  I was reading today that Bloomberg has spent $10 million on an advert during the Superb Owl.
                                                  Yes, for one 60 second spot.

New Hampshire having "Live Free or Die" on their license plates is a dead giveaway on the nature of the population.
                                                  The family of one of my high school teachers were the named plaintiffs in a suit over their right to tape that phrase over on their plates. The reactionaries wanted to jail them, but they eventually won on appeal.

Comment

The family of one of my high school teachers were the named plaintiffs in a suit over their right to tape that phrase over on their plates. The reactionaries wanted to jail them, but they eventually won on appeal.
                                                    There’s an interesting interpretation of “live free”...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X