X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[URL]https://twitter.com/arianagrande/status/1197257294477701123?s=21[/URL]

ariane grande has ca. 67 million Twitter followers

Comment

I'm not sure that Ariane is the one smiling the hardest in that photo.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/ifnotnoworg/status/1197364758443253760?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
          If today's Dems tried to do what FDR did to push a progressive agenda they'd fuck themselves (I assume).
          FDR was only progressive for whites due to fearing a backlash of southern Dems. LBJ took advantage of the wave of goodwill he received after JFK's assassination; and as Ursus has I think noted, it was crucial that in the 60s there was a progressive Supreme Court.

Comment

The New Deal was racially stratified, although if you were Northern and black, you did far better than Southern blacks. Southern blacks lived in a semi-feudal society, whereas Northern blacks worked more in industry and could be covered by labour laws and unions. But the war and the National War Labour Board forcing equal pay and closed shops on employers was a huge paradigm shift, not least because a ton of Southern blacks got the fuck out and went to the North or West Coast. San Francisco had about 2,000 blacks in 1940, and 60,000 in 1950. Oakland was even more dramatic.

Comment

FDR absolutely trounced his opponents in his elections, he had no need to fear if he lost the south. Indeed, Truman won in 1948 despite the south going to the Dixiecrats.

So if FDR had nothing to fear from losing the south, maybe he just wasn't too bothered about civil rights.

Comment

There is his being a massive racist, right enough.

Comment

There's also the fact that he needed the Southern Democrats in the Senate, just as LBJ did three decades later.

Comment

He did pass some handy laws, I've been reading. Made it illegal for the federal government or any company awarded a contract by the federal government to hire based on ethnicity. Which helped black people get hired.

But the question is why he didn't sort the south out. Of course, the civil war was 'fairly recent' in the 1930s. In living memory for older people, or one generation back for others. The US might have still been in a state that if you go into the south and try and sort the place out, you risk another civil war. Maybe that's the backlash that SD war referring to. I assumed he was talking about an electoral backlash, but SD might have been referring to all out civil war.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      There's also the fact that he needed the Southern Democrats in the Senate, just as LBJ did three decades later.
                      Ah yes, that wonderful bastion of proportional representation... I had forgotten.

Comment

Bloomberg has decided to grace the race with his ego.

Comment

Well, now at least we have two billionaires in the race, so we know that they're not underrepresented in proportion to the normal population. I always feel bad for how they're discriminated against and mocked. It's good that they're finally standing up for themselves.

Comment

Not sure where else to put this, but it seems somewhat relevant to this topic.

This is a very informative video. Even though I lived there many years, I wasn't aware of this. Obviously I knew that there was great wealth and income disparity (the primary reason I left), but the root cause of it is just stunning. I'm sure this is a big part of why the Democratic incumbent governor was reelected. Basically, it's about property tax exemptions to major refineries and other chemical plants, to the tune of billions of dollars that should be going to local governments for schools, fire, police, etc. And the corporations are not giving any of that money back to the communities in the form of higher wages.

Comment

The Venezuela of the USA

The guitar in the background though.

Comment

Yes, that's an accurate comparison.

Comment

San Francisco Giants fans, come get your boy

[URL]https://twitter.com/aubrey_huff/status/1199200986658553857[/URL]

Comment

He seems to have decided that Schilling has left a void in the MAGA Meathead Market.

Comment

This sort of thing is a reason why I'm losing interest in sports. It really is dominated by some very stupid people.

Comment

I don't even know where to put this, but this is among the most pointless but fucked up things I've seen our government do in recent years.

[URL]https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1199717671085850625[/URL]

Comment

Created in January 2016.

thanks, Obama!

Comment

The students had arrived legally in the U.S. on student visas, but since the University of Farmington was later revealed to be a creation of federal agents, they lost their immigration status after it was shut down in January.
                                            ????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

This could actually be a Southpark episode
                                            Last edited by anton pulisov; 27-11-2019, 20:29.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/isaacdovere/status/1201923942589616128[/URL]

Comment

Hahahahahahaha.

Comment

Pity Mayor Pete is still standing as Donor Class Plan B.

Comment

Just saw yesterday that Gavin Newsom was going to go out to Iowa to campaign for her, so her dropping out saves the good people of Iowa from that.

And all of the leading Democratic pols in California have been spared some uncomfortable positions to be in--they all rushed to endorse her right after she announced so now they're free to jockey for positions with other campaigns.
                                                    Last edited by Incandenza; 03-12-2019, 18:20.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X